Matt Helm Lounge 4-disc set for December

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Jun 6, 2005.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Matt Helm fans rejoice! Check out this baby; the Matt Helm Lounge box set containing The Silencers, Murderers Row, The Ambushers, The Wrecking Crew is coming August from Columbia. No details on extras yet (if any).

Anyone know any more?

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

hmmmmmm my major question is will they all be letterboxed and anamorphic? Its always a big concern especially since its Sony.
    They have yet to address the GIDGET fiasco.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The release date is August 2 -- Sony's listing doesn't say whether it'll be anamorphic or not. In fact, it doesn't even list a price yet. I'll post again when more information becomes available. For now, here's the synopsis:

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    My brain is still trying to come up with a reaction to this line:
    [​IMG]

5. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

Now this is great news!!!!!!!!

I grew up with this stuff...thanks to my mum, God rest her soul.

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Murderers Row contains one of the more outrageous moments in the series when enemy agents plant an explosive device in Ann-Margret's mini dress that will go off when her go-go dancing reaches the sizzle point! And when Ann-Margret starts boogeying, that's pretty quick!

The Matt Helm series always had the hottest babes: Ann-Margret, Stella Stevens, Sharon Tate, Elke Sommer, Cyd Charisse, Nancy Kwan, Senta Berger, Camilla Sparv, Janice Rule.

7. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I hope the specs come out soon....I don't want to get my hopes up..I worry about another pan an scan disaster!

8. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

I think this is a series that illustrates how the times, and one's taste, change over the decades. I had fond memories of these films from seeing them in the theater, and I eagerly awaited a box set. Then I made the mistake of watching two or three of them recently (on AMC or TCM). Gaackk! Did I really like that stuff??

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

None of these films were anamorphic. The correct aspect ratio would be 1.85.

10. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

My tastes may have expanded...but I've never found a case yet that has me wincing and asking myself WHY I liked it before, but not now. If I was fond of it then....it does not take long for me to find something of value. I'm in the rare group here....but thats how it is. I mean Jesus....I'ts Dino!!

11. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    In the case of the posts above, they are referring to the DVDs being "enhanced for widescreen televisions" and not the aspect ratio. Some of the studios insist on using the confusing term "anamorphic" when "enhanced" is a better choice.

12. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

I've checked out the old Silencers VHS (pan&scan) against the anamorphic 1.85:1 release CTHE did in 2003 - I presume they wouldn't remaster the movie for a 2005 re-release just to screw with HTFers minds - and I notice the picture was shot open-matte. In fact, the p&s version which I've been more familiar with would appear to be better composed than the 1.85:1 frame. Combine that with the style of photography and frankly I'd swear I was looking at something designed as a TV movie but ultimately released to the big screen (like the Man From UNCLE movies).

Amazon have it listed for $29.96. Caramba! I want this NOW!!

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Technically, the word "anamorphic" refers to the fact that the lens is curved to modify the image width -- not necessarily to a specific amount of curvature.

14. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

The set's evaporated from Sony's website (probably killed off as part of some corporate rationalisation deal as Sony's HE division assimilates MGM's) [​IMG]

Not a happy bunny.

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

The Wrecking Crew has been a fave of mine over the years. Sure it's cheesy as can be compared to some of the better Bonds, but the Matt Helm films weren't meant to be taken seriously, anyway. Any film hero with a secretary named Lovey Kravesit is strictly tounge-in-cheek.

Back to The Wrecking Crew: what really made it great was that you had four of the hottest Sixties babes together in one film: Sharon Tate, Tina Louise, Nancy Kwan, and Elke Sommer!!! Not even Thunderball had such a babe quotient!

16. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I agree 100%. I love the Matt Helm movies. And Lovey Kravesit as a character names is second only to Pussy Galore. I was born in 1961 and had three fictional hero's as a kid. Superman, James Bond 007 and Matt Helm. Had the Superman costume and the Seret agent cases and gadgets. [​IMG]

17. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I found This Link on Sony's site. Among other DVD retail sites.

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I really liked this series of movies when they came out in the mid 60s. I'm not sure how they will fare after almost 40 years. I'm afraid they will seem dated like the James Coburn, Flint movies.

If these are sold separtately, I would probably pick up The Silencers.

19. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

The Helm movies were dated and cheesy at the time. It was the last gasp of lounge-lizard culture at a time when pop culture had already moved away from that. If you understand that it's deliberately cheesy and it's just an excuse for Dino to cavort with a lot of hot women -- like his TV show, but with a bigger budget -- you'll enjoy it. In some ways they hold up better than the Flint movies because they don't even make a pretense at making sense.

Also, as previously noted, the Helm movies had perhaps the most beautiful women of any '60s spy spoofs. The Wrecking Crew has already been mentioned, but The Silencers has Stella Stevens (who gives a very funny performance), Dahlia Lavi, Nancy Kovack, Beverly Adams and Cyd Charisse.

20. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Aaron.