What's new

Matrix Reloaded--Official DVD thread. Post all comments here. (1 Viewer)

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
In NYC they just put out the Matirx Reloaded in certain stores. I just got it. About to watch the thing. Look for a mni-review later!

ErichH

Screenwriter
Good!
I was just about to ask about a review and wheather our HTF reviewers had a copy.

Moot point now I suppose.

Can't wait to hear how it sounds!
E

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
No Snapper. Regular Amary case. A first for Warner, correct? I watched it up until the highway sequence. Fantastic transfer! I was suprised to see that there was no commentary track though. Anyway...

Picture quality is terrific, even in the darkest scenes you can notice all the littlest details, the sound-quality is amazing. The "Whoss" noises Neo makes as he jumps from staircase to staircase shook the walls of every room in my house! Factor in Rob D's song, the clang of the metal and you've got one agressive soundtrack. The same trailer for the 3rd Matrix is included at the end of the credits. I haven't seen any of the extras yet but they all read to be fluff city for me. This disc pretty much blows away the quality of the first Matrix disc and gets my vote for transfer of the year. I feel it's even better than the Two Towers disc. We'll have to see how some other films stack-up.

The chapter stop insert also has the Revolutions poster behind it.

Overall I give the first disc a A+ but we'll see how the extras bring it down. In the insert they describe one extra being an in-depth look at the Matrix samsung phone...ughh. Sounds bad.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
As much as I don't want to hold off on this release, I think I am going to have to do it.
Because you don't want an absolutely gorgeous transfer, or because you don't want a supplement about a phone? :confused: The extras are just that - extras. The movie is the main thing for me. Not buying something because you don't like one of the supplements (or the general lack of "quality" supplements) just doesn't make any sense to me.

Jimmy!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy, I just have a feeling that a better version will be released in the future.

Who knows what I will decide. :)

Lev-S

Second Unit
Hey pick one up for me guy, I'll send you the money! I only live a little ways away!!!:b

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing 50 millon things at once but here's a ongoing review of the extras...this is being written as I'm watching them so sorry if it's not the best written review ever.

PRELOAD: Standard epk-style feature so far. It's weird seeing all of hugo's stunt doubles, they look just like the guy. Yeah the longer I watch this, this is pretty much something you'd find on a HBO first Look special. Tons of short film clips and behind-the-scenes shots. Lots of ass-kissing from the main stars. This really suffers because they're putting in 7 hours of special features in like 30 minutes. Not even. You get a lot of shots from early CGI-shots and pre-viz shots but no real meat. This is Revisted's retarded A,D.D-suffering cousin. They actually had rehearsals for the rave-scene? They're spending more time on the rave than they are on the script. The burly brawl stuff is the coolest bit and they spend like 45 seconds on it! Lousy. I'll give it 5 out of 10.

By the way the menus on both discs are very much like the Matrix DVD. lots of action shots.

MATRIX UNFOLDS: this is a fusion of tons of different extras from the various dvd's. The same Joel Silver interview snippets from Matrix Revisited regarding the Animatrix but with Animatrix clips now in it...now behind-the-scene footage from the video game that I belive was on the soundtrack....MORE EPK-FLUFF on Reloaded. WTF?...MORE RAVE rehearsal FOOTAGE?! ARGGGH! Wow this is horrible. This is the same footage from revisited and Preload. That was the worst extra ever and it's only 3 minutes long...1 out of 10. No, 0 out of 10.

FREEWAY CHASE: So far it's EPK-Fluff for the first minute...hmm it's getting good...lots of shots of Skroce's storyboard. The pre-production footage from September 2000 is great as the Brothers and the crew plot over a toy-car highway. Opps too little of it. An interesting tid-bit, when Fishburn and Moss were in the car rig they could never show emotion otherwise the shot would have to be redone. The feature follows the stunt coordinator and his plan to make the sequence work.The driving school stuff is great. wow. watching them build the freeway blows my mind. there is so much stuff in this feature, it's crazy. Even interviews with the stunt drivers! Watching the real footage of Trinity driving against traffic is scarier than the film footage! I like this alot. They could add another hour to it and still not have enough. 9/10

GET ME AN EXIT: This is a feature on how the Matrix commercials for Powerade and the phone were made. They were all created by the assistant director for the Matrix films. You get the entire Powerade commercial. Now we watch outtakes and behind the scene footage as well as an alternate ending!(?) Okay now they talk about DA PHONE! Wow it was designed by the crew. They decided to mass-market it because of the demand for the first matrix phone. Thank god we got all this info on the phone rather than the Burly Brawl. Now the entire phone commercial. Now the entire Samsung TV commercial. Now another Samsung commercial for the rotating camera phone. Wow Trinity's stunt double is hotter than trinity! Get her a movie! That's it? No trailers? 4 out of 10

ENTER THE MATRIX: Very standard EPK-piece for the game. You know how many other games out there deserve 1/10th of the documentary footage this game has gotten? I admit that the work they put on this game is impressive. But guess what? The game sucked ass. And it dosen't deserve this much time on the DVD when they barley have any interviews with the brothers, deleted scenes or (so far) trailers! Hell I'd even prefer music videos rather than this long, shitty, documentry. It's well-made but it has no place on the DVD! What really pisses me off is these people are sitting here acting like they made the Next Zelda or Street Fighter 2. They made a horrible game! At one point they even have the balls to state that it'll change the way fighting games are made. Sad. 2 out of 10

ANIMATRIX TRAILER: A trailer for the Animatrix. 4 out of 10

MTV MOVIE AWARDS: An all-star spoof of the Matrix reloaded. Lots of cursing including Wanda Sykes using the F word. includes a MAJOR spolier so please watch the film first. 9 out of 10.

OVERALL: Okay this was one of the WORST special feature discs I have ever seen. No trailers, no interviews with the directors. A longer feature on the video-game than several key scenes, re-used features from the Revisited disc. Pure crap. The Highway feature is the only good thing on it. The parody is pretty good too. I can't find Easter Eggs at all so I assume there aren't any. Without the Highway spot this could be the first time a good argument could be made for a DVD serving you better as a drink coaster rather than being watched.

HOWEVER

The movie is terrific, the transfer is pristine and the soundtrack is amazing. Plus it's in an amary case. PLUS you could wait for a box-set but guess what? I want to watch, study and enjoy this movie NOW not next summer or winter. That's why I spent 32.50 on it today and that's why I'm gonna be watching this and the first one countless times this fall. if you loved the movie, buy the disc. Now if I was an offical reviewer, if this was barebones it'd get an A but the extras are SO BAD, I would give this a B-. I really hope they put a little bit more effort on the extras in the Revolutions disc.

B-

P.S Haha! I get to watch this movie 15 days earlier than you do! HAHAHA!
:) :D

Hope you guys enjoyed the review.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Very good review! As soon as the specs for this release were announced I was worried that the special features were going to suck and my worst fears have now been confirmed by Ray. I'll buy the DVD strictly for the movie anyway, but it would have been nice to get some bonus materials worth watching. It sounds like this should have been a single disc release and unfortunately, I think the special features on T3 are going to be just as bad. WTF, Warner Bros? First, you don't give us DTS on these big summer action flicks and then the extras are lame on top of that. I wish another studio was in charge of releasing these movies.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on the find, but I still think I'm waiting for the inevitable box set. Hopefully a new transfer of the first film will be included (given that the quality of the current one is a little sub-par by today's standards).

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review - I could care less about the extras for now. The movie will suit me just fine.

2 weeks is not so far away, now is it?

E

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Wow, I think I'm gonna pass on this one (maybe rent it once or twice before Revolutions), then buy the 2-pack Reloaded/Revolutions or box set when it's released next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks