What's new

Matrix DVD *Gltch*? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I recently upgraded my hometheater to a SONY 65" 16x9 HD set and thanks to the awesome experience that is The Matrix Reloaded, I decided to re-watch The Matrix in all it's 16x9, green tinted, bullet time glory.

Unfortunately, during the darker scenes, I noticed a strange anomaly ocurring every twelve frames, twice a second, where the screen partially pixelates, resulting in a very annoying flashing.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem perhaps on a similar big screen setup where this problem may be mre noticeable. BTW, I am also using component cables and a progressive scan DVD player and the TV is AVIA calibrated.

Bad disc? Authoring error? Help!

Thanks;)

P.S That's *GLITCH*BTW. A*GITCH* is a typo in subject headers:D

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Sounds like what happened to my original copy of THE MATRIX. Turned out to be the infamous Wamo disc rot. It eventually got so bad that the disc would just hang completely and refuse to play. Had to buy another one, sorry to say... :frowning:

greg_t

Screenwriter
I just played some of the Matrix on my Panasonic XP30 connected via component to my Pioneer Elite 530. I noticed no problems, and thought the image quality was very good.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There is no surface damage at all and no scratches. Also my decription of "pixellation" is just a guess, I don't know what else to call it. I almost bought a new copy today but held off until I got some feedback here.

I have noticed this problem on other discs too, such as Quest For Fire.

Curious indeed.:confused:

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else find it kind of funny that Tino used "glitch" and "anomaly" to describe the problem? Get it? Glitch...anomaly...yeah.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I remember reading that all the scenes that took place in the Matrix had the "matrix code" overlayed on top of the picture. But it was very small... perhaps this created some sort of anomaly during compression.

However, I guess all copies would suffer from the same thing, so I may be wrong.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Tino,

wassup! Congrats on the upgrade! :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Like you, after Jerry and I saw Reloaded on Thursday, I decided to watched this dvd the other day on my 48" 16x9 HD and saw no problems other than the inherant grain already mentioned, no flickering was apparent to me. The film could definitly use a new up to date transfer though.

Could it be that your eyes are still getting used to seeing a dvd projected that large? It does happen, you begin to "see things" so to speak, I know I did.

So, about your new set, does it allow you to switch AR modes for progressive scan, or does it lock into FULL mode? Mine allows me to switch and it really helps non anamorphic films like Titanic look great. Have you checked out Titanic yet? If not, your in for a treat my friend...NO MORE SHIMMERING OR SCAN LINES! :) Just a smooth film-like image.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks for the replies guys. It's definitely not grain I am seeing. It is
like I said every twelve frames and only partially affects the image. I will buy a new copy today and compare.

Hey John. Yes, I checked out Titanic and it looks great, better than some anamorphic DVD's I own. Can't wait for that S.E. And trust me, I am used to watching DVd's on my set,it's practically been on non stop since Christmas Eve when it was delivered.:b

Brad Hood

Agent
I wonder if it's possible that your DVD player is having problems reading the flags on the disc? I get a flashing effect on some discs that are transferred from film, but I can correct it by manually setting the source to "film."

If your player is set up to automatically detect whether the source is film or video, try manually setting it to "film."

Otherwise, I think Agent Smith is running loose in your AV setup.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks