What's new

Matrix 4 and 5 on the way? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
You fools know Reloaded was the best. Don't make me start educating again. I can pull out that monstrous 2003 thread if we need to.

I welcome any films the Wachowski siblings want to do. I'm not immediately thrilled with the prospect of more Matrix films (especially prequels, yuk), but if they are passionate about them that would be good enough for me.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Reloaded had the biggest balls, was the most expansive, subversively built on what came before, and held such promise for the finale.I also seem to recall it was once held in pretty high esteem on HTF during the salad days. Although, admittedly, most members still preferred the original. You can lead a horse to water...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No matter how man great write ups I read about reloaded, it was still one of the most aggravating underwhelming nights I've had at a theater, and I will always view the sequels as nonsensical garbage with plot holes I could drive freighter trains through.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
These aren't movies I failed to understand, and can be explained into awesomeness. They were tedious. I can't say it any better than I did before: I had this nightmare once of being trapped in a theater with an unending car-chase scene involving badly animated CG-Neo fighting CG-Smith, but that was just a bad dream.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed watching Reloaded on the big screen quite a bit way back in 2003. I think we forget that we can enjoy something we saw back in the day, without having seen the 10+ years of movies since, and with the expectations that go into seeing films now versus then. While Reloaded was a bridge movie in the trilogy, I ate up all the eye candy on the screen, and at that time, I was fine with it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I thought The Matrix was phenomenal and Matrix Reloaded was ok, as in treading water with more of the same special effects but nothing much in terms of plot. I was really hoping that they were holding back on Reloaded saving for a grand finale in Revolutions, but the final chapter was so disappointing that I gave up on the entire franchise.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Fair enough.No matter how many bad critiques I read about Reloaded, it was still one of the most invigorating and exhilarating nights I've ever had at a theater, and I will always view the sequels as creative and worthy follow-ups that engendered far more interesting and conceptually intriguing retrospectives than almost all summer blockbusters combined.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd rather see a Speed 3 ( to make up for the poor second one ) than this, get Keanu and Sandra back and i'll watch it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will agree I hated Revolution far more then Reloaded. I didn't even mind the ending of Reloaded, which I thought was an alternate take that was gutsy. I still felt as though it went wildly long, and with my wife with me, we walked out of the theater and said we weren't that happy with it. Great effects, but the story was lacking.
Revolutions, though, is just an abomination. In the end, we have a film that tacitly comes to a 'peace' agreement that allows for what the first movie correctly portrayed as 'slavery' and everyone seems to now be completely OK with leaving people as slaves. It still infuriates me that with such a great setup, that was how it ended.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm sold if they are called "The Matrix Repudiated" and "The Matrix Renovations."Better still if they star Olivia Wilde as Quorra from TRON, who crosses over due to the machine world creatures digging up Flynn's arcade and assimilating an old memory card.And if they add a giant spider and a Kennedy assassination angle, well I'll buy the inevitable "three versions of the same box set over four years" wholeheartedly.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Could the "real world" support and feed everyone in the Matrix if they all were unplugged at once though? Zion seems like the only habitable place and fairly crowded already. And if there are billions of "coppertops", it would take years if not decades to process them all.

I thought there was a line of dialog at the end of Revolutions about everyone who wanted out of the Matrix would be allowed to? Some are bound to have a reaction to life on the outside similar to Cypher in the first film though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Patrick Sun said:
I enjoyed watching Reloaded on the big screen quite a bit way back in 2003. I think we forget that we can enjoy something we saw back in the day, without having seen the 10+ years of movies since, and with the expectations that go into seeing films now versus then. While Reloaded was a bridge movie in the trilogy, I ate up all the eye candy on the screen, and at that time, I was fine with it.
I remember being frustrated with it at the time. I was definitely disappointed when I rewatched it before seeing Revolutions.But I haven't seen them in a long while. Maybe I can find them used on disc to rewatch.That said, it's about time I rewatch the original. That's always a good time!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
mattCR said:
No matter how man great write ups I read about reloaded, it was still one of the most aggravating underwhelming nights I've had at a theater, and I will always view the sequels as nonsensical garbage with plot holes I could drive freighter trains through.
Reloaded blew my mind. Why do you think it's nonsensical garbage?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Brian Dobbs said:
Reloaded blew my mind. Why do you think it's nonsensical garbage?
As a person who has worked his life in IT, I always baffle at movies that bank so heavily on technology and then do things that are.. let's just say, preposterous. The moment the movie started dealing in 'Rogue Programs' that operate outside of the norm was the moment I started to lose patience with the film, because if the role of 'Agents' is perceived as preventing anomalies primarily, this would also apply to Rogue programs, and yet, these programs survive on and on and on, and despite their 'difficulty to kill' one shot with a silver bullet by Persephone wipes them out. Which makes me think the whole thing was ineffective.

We go through scenes like: Neo flies through the city so fast buildings explode (killing all inside them, assuming) and yet, we don't see any immediate panic by the Matrix.. which is ridiculous considering that in the first movie we've established that when people 'die' they are flushed down the shoot and stop being good batteries. So, wiping out large numbers of them in a swath would be like a gigantic kick in the cajones to the robot machine that would be losing a major power source.. but nope, nothing. Outside of being annoyed it's not as though there are more agents or a working response by the robotic machine, in fact, we get the same number of agents.

"But that's just how many there are". Preposterous. We've already established early on and in the prior movie that more agents can be summoned, and this makes sense that a program that's successful can be duplicated.

We setup a world in 'The Matrix' where human life had a set value; a value to those trying to feed them from slavery and a value to those who were trying to keep them as slaves to power the machines. It made 'The Matrix' a tight and awesome SciFi film because the lack of nuclear-level explosion type events was important, because, as Morpheus pointed out in that film there were still 'real people' who were just being represented there, and if they died in the matrix, they died for real.

In Reloaded, that value has totally been wiped out ...it gets completely ridiculous in 'Revolutons', when Smith takes over everyone, which should have killed all/most of the human hosts, and as a result, all of the energy would have sucked out of the machine, it would have just turned off as all the tubes flushed them, and their power source away...

Reloaded then things of trying to make this more 'punchy' by giving us a unique twist of an ending: this has all happened before, it will happen again. Now, there is something neat about this; maybe they just genetically clone humans to fill their pods on the outside, and this neo character keeps coming back. Great. But, if that's the case, wouldn't the machines just stop cloning the guy as an easy solution? More importantly, if the outcome was always the same, the program should improve as it goes at addressing them. Before I get the response 'but the program is static', no, Persephone and the Oracle have both addressed that by saying that they keep improving and that they have improved to make things more livable for the humans after early failures. So, if they are able to improve the program, the inability to address a 100% forseeable outcome is dumb.

Combine this with a roadway chase that while technically cool goes on forever - and, BTW, if NEO can fly, and we've seen a helicopter then the idea that it would stay a car chase and the Matrix wouldn't simply bring back that same Helicopter and blow them up from the sky is pretty stupid - the movie really lost it for me the moment Smith migrated outside of the matrix. If this is a possibility, through whatever means, then that information would be incorporated into the Matrix as well, and there would be no need for the robots to ever declare peace or to even ever use pods. They'd just take over the human hosts far more directly.

The problem I have most directly is that we setup a tight, interesting struggle for the preservation of humanity against computerized overlords, and we end up with a set of films where the genius of the computerized overlord is pretty low-IQ, acts randomly, can't fix itself, sees errors it knows exists but doesn't address, addresses other errors (outdated programs) by terminating their processes but it can't figure out how to terminate some..

It's not just a: this is bad computer mumbo jumbo, it's that we steal away the real reason why we should root for our protagonists. If the protagonist is busy slaughtering tons of humanity right and left, then they aren't much of a protagonist.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I thought it was implied they were werewolves in the earlier Matrix or something? Most people don't keep silver bullets handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks