What's new

Math Brain Teaser (1 Viewer)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
A certain water lily grew extremely quickly and doubled its surface area each day. At the end of the 30th day, it had entirely covered the pond in which it lived. If a second water lily identical to the first had been planted in the pond, how long would the two lilies have taken to cover the entire pond?
A friend of mine e-mailed this to me knowing I'd be ripping my hair out trying to solve it!
The only answer I could come up with was Spoiler:15 days but that seems a bit obvious. Any thoughts?
------------------
Hit pay-dirt with KDRT!
Petition FOX and score The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001933.html
[Edited last by Rollie on November 14, 2001 at 07:14 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so:
Spoiler:If it doubles its CURRENT surface area every day, then on the 29th day it would have been 1/2 the size of the pond, thus doubling on the 30th day to cover the entire pool. So wouldn't it take 29 days for both lilies to cover the pond?
[Edited last by Carlo Medina on November 14, 2001 at 07:18 PM]

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps someone can correct me but there really isn’t enough information provided to precisely say how long it would take two lilies to cover the pond.
After all, at the end of the 29th day it could have covered ¾ of the pond and then doubled to cover the entire pond on the 30th day. Since we don’t know the precise figures involved a precise day is impossible to nail down.
[Edited last by Patrick_S on November 14, 2001 at 08:02 PM]

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Assuming it just covers the pond on the 30th day, then two lillies would require Spoiler:29 days to cover the pond.
Bonus question: It was later discovered that the lilly pad sucks up water as it grows, so that the pond's surface area shrinks by one-fourth every day. Knowing this, how long does it take for the single lilly pad to cover the shrinking pond, given that it will cover the pond in thirty days without the pond shrinking?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Is it an African or European lily?
wink.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Bonus question: It was later discovered that the lilly pad sucks up water as it grows, so that the pond's surface area shrinks by one-fourth every day. Knowing this, how long does it take for the single lilly pad to cover the shrinking pond, given that it will cover the pond in thirty days without the pond shrinking?
I got Spoiler:approximately 21.12 days.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Now this is starting to get a little scary.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Jeff Blair
AIM blairj2
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My DVD's

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Who ever thought we'd actually need all that math stuff we learned in school??
ok... well.... not actually NEED... :)
------------------
McPaul.

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Ooh! Can I play?
Teaser Number II:
Gino and Maria were strolling in the countryside one day when they came to a lake. They noticed a pole stuck in the middle of the lake. They rowed out to where the pole was in the lake to get a better look. After getting an up-close look they returned to shore. They found a local resident and asked him about the pole. They were told that one-half of the pole was lodged in the ground, another one-third of it was covered by water, and 11 feet of the pole is sticking out of the water. What is the total length of the pole in feet?
Dr. Joe

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
To solve these problems, simply give it the old college try: Spoiler:Get a case of beer and a pizza and worry about it tomorrow. :)

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I got:
Spoiler:Beaten to the headache joke by Ron-P
frown.gif

[Edited last by Richard Cooper on November 15, 2001 at 02:29 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks