What's new

mastered in HD--why no blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Absolutely Agree Joe. I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure alot of use that went whole hog early on in the DVD days are similar. Like you I only have about 25 or so Blu ray's. I have well over 1500 DVD's if you include TV on DVD Box sets. I cannot justify from a price standpoint, converting those DVD's over to Blu Ray's on the majority of the films. Not to say of the Raiders and Star Wars Come I would'nt do it. But I'm alot less likely on Goodfella etc. Even thou those films would look nice in Hi Def. I'm more than likely to rent the Blu from Netflix, watch and return it, and live with my DVD Copy. I'll buy a few titles here and there, the A-list and classics, but I'm unlikely to reach the numbers I did with DVD. Plus I'm converting my Library over for my Apple TV, it may be SD, but it's always available to me and thats a nice option

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

It also helps if we all remember that Blu Ray is still a niche product. SDTVs still outnumber HD sets. A lot of the HD sets that are sold to replace dying SD sets aren't even hooked up to HD sources. There weren't tons of deep catalog releases in the early days of DVD, either - and DVD gained market share much more rapidly than Blu Ray. Sometimes here in the enthusiast's echo-chamber it is easy to think that everybody has a Blu Ray player and a couple of HDTVs, but that simply isn't the case. Especially given the state of the economy, a lot of people aren't buying new toys. (Hell, I've been a member here since the beginning, and first met Ron and Parker on the old Compuserv Consumer Electronics forum and I just bought my very first Blu Ray player in NOVEMBER. I decided to sit out the format war and wait for a clear winner. By the time one emerged, I was feeling the economic pinch. Today I have a total of 18 BD titles with a couple of more on order. All of them have been bought on sale, none for more than $20, most for $10 or less. I rent more than I buy - through Netflix.)

While Blu Ray player and disc sales are expanding, they are doing so gradually than we may realize.

Regards,

Joe

MikeMorel

Auditioning
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Sure, studios might be worried about piracy, but they're not going to turn down profits from moving video sale units of films made several years or decades ago.
Studios have seen what has happened to the music business.

As portable HDDs get larger and less costly, and internet speeds increase, it will certainly escalate to "music-like" proportions. I also believe CP is behind the huge drive to a new 3D file format.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Why wouldn't they have the same fears for their newer films if their lack of output was due to piracy?
??? They DO have the same fears. But studios HAVE to release their newer films on blu-ray. If they don't, the format dies. And consumers who bought blu-ray players with the expectations that there would be movies to play on them would be very upset.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Originally Posted by MikeMorel

As portable HDDs get larger and less costly, and internet speeds increase, it will certainly escalate to "music-like" proportions. I also believe CP is behind the huge drive to a new 3D file format.

??? They DO have the same fears. But studios HAVE to release their newer films on blu-ray. If they don't, the format dies. And consumers who bought blu-ray players with the expectations that there would be movies to play on them would be very upset.
Well they still play standard DVD.

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't realize the Bluray protection was so easily cracked already. Is this really true?
Even if it is, there still is the issue of huge size (for illegal downloaders) and doesn't Bluray have the ability to be updated to foil piracy? I had a Samsung 1600 I had to get rid of because of the constant firmware updates that would break as many issues as they fixed. Last I read the thread for that model on AVS forum it had only gotten worse since I bailed on Samsung.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MikeMorel

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the argument you're trying to sell here.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks