What's new

MasterChef (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Is Joshua Marks really 7feet tall? Just looking at him standing next to Felix and Christine... was like wow. tried to find out his height and googled something that says he is close to 7feet. He certainly looked quite a bit taller than Felix last night!
Jay

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I tend to agree with some of the above; along with Top Chef, this is my favorite cooking competition show, because they do spend most of their time talking about the food and skills. In comparison to "Hell's Kitchen" etc. where it's mostly drama/yelling/fights rather then about the food.

I also think there are a lot of pretty heartwarming stories in this show. I admit, I'm pulling for Christine, but I think even if she goes home next week, she has a major accomplishment in making it this far on the merits.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Definitely glad to see Tali go....really liked that line from Joe about Tali's cooking...this is master chef not masturbate. Dave, you're right about Felix getting that early win, I totally forgot about that.

For those who watched Hell's Kitchen seasons...I swear I watched a few episodes of that show in the first or second season, and the show was a lot more about cooking. Am I wrong, or did that show do a complete 180 toward reality sleaze?

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Jay H /t/312857/masterchef#post_3946977
Is Joshua Marks really 7feet tall? Just looking at him standing next to Felix and Christine... was like wow. tried to find out his height and googled something that says he is close to 7feet. He certainly looked quite a bit taller than Felix last night!

Joshua reminds me of Aldis Hodge from TNT's Leverage. Looks, talks, and acts the same as the character Aldis plays there. BTW, Leverage starts up again this Sunday.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Carl Miller /t/312857/masterchef#post_3947196
Definitely glad to see Tali go....really liked that line from Joe about Tali's cooking...this is master chef not masturbate. Dave, you're right about Felix getting that early win, I totally forgot about that.

For those who watched Hell's Kitchen seasons...I swear I watched a few episodes of that show in the first or second season, and the show was a lot more about cooking. Am I wrong, or did that show do a complete 180 toward reality sleaze?
I agree. Hell's Kitchen is not about cooking anymore. It's all personality driven. Who would hire "ANY" of those folks to work in their restaurant, much less Gordon Ramsey? How did they even qualify to compete? But that's another thread.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It may be a result of editing decisions -- you're watching probably 30 minutes, tops (remember that all these shows repeat clips after every commercial), of several days' worth of action. Of course, Hell's Kitchen does seem to be suffering from a sort of reverse-Idol effect -- each season the contestants seem less competent.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mark_B /t/312857/masterchef#post_3947321
I agree. Hell's Kitchen is not about cooking anymore. It's all personality driven. Who would hire "ANY" of those folks to work in their restaurant, much less Gordon Ramsey? How did they even qualify to compete? But that's another thread.

I wouldn't hire them, that's for sure. It's hard to picture any of them head chef at a fancy restaurant.

Adam, I'm sure you're right about the editing aspect but they do seem less competent and pretty much there for the conflict angle.

So, what's Top Chef like? I've never seen that but since I'm really enjoying Master Chef, maybe it's worth checking out? Is it more about the cooking or the reality personalities?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Carl Miller /t/312857/masterchef#post_3947649

I wouldn't hire them, that's for sure. It's hard to picture any of them head chef at a fancy restaurant.

Adam, I'm sure you're right about the editing aspect but they do seem less competent and pretty much there for the conflict angle.

So, what's Top Chef like? I've never seen that but since I'm really enjoying Master Chef, maybe it's worth checking out? Is it more about the cooking or the reality personalities?

Top Chef is frankly in a league of it's own. Find it if you can. It's totally focused on the food. About 14 chefs who generally already are established come in and compete in a set of challenges, a lot like Masterchef (Top Chef is several years in, it's been around a bit longer then Masterchef). They compete with the prize being seed money for their own restaurant. Several of those restaurants and people have both survived and done very well.

Top Chef is different in that the competitors explain why they cook the way they do; recipes are shared on the website, etc. It's good stuff. Find past seasons if you can (it's Bravo)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Carl Miller /t/312857/masterchef#post_3947649

Currently Bravo has on Around the World in 80 Plates. Kind of like Top Chef meets Amazing Race meets Survivor where the fellow chefs vote off someone. That finishes up in a few weeks and on July 25th, Top Chef Masters starts season 4. Top Chef Masters is just like Top Chef, but the chefs are well known and award winning where as on Top Chef, they are chefs that competed for the spots. On Masters, the chefs compete for charity and you get to see some amazing cooking. When that ends, they'll either start Top Chef or Top Chef Just Desserts. Desserts is pastry chef competition. All are good. These are all on Wednesday's on Bravo.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I can understand if someone might hear my name wrong in conversation, but I'm endlessly baffled at the way people refer to me as "Adam" in online threads. Seriously, it happens all the time! :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info on Top Chef guys. I'm going to check out Top Chef Masters and see how I like it. I need some TV to watch in the summer and it sounds like I'd enjoy it.

Aaron, sorry about that! I don't know why I did that. On a semi-related note of mistaken identity...If I spend any time around town where I grew up, which is fairly often because my mother still lives there, someone will inevitably come up to me and say something like "Andy, is that you"? Or, "oh my God, Andy, how the hell are you"? It's been happening regularly for at least 20 years. I have no idea who this guy Andy is, but he's a lot more popular than I ever was.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Decent show so far. Finally got rid of Tali and his buddy who were incredibly arrogant and flat out jerks.
Liked Cowboy, but way outclassed for this competition.
Really like Christine, other than a few flops, she's cooks really well. But if she wins, I hope it's not a sympathy vote but based on her talent.
Just starting the last episode, my vote would be Josh, but guess I'll find out in about 45 minutes.
Surprising how enjoyable this show is, yet Ramsay still puts out crap like Hell's Kitchen, which I wouldn't waste a minute watching.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I'm calling shenanigans on tonight's elimination. Bad call, judges.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DaveHof /t/312857/masterchef/30#post_3953559
I'm calling shenanigans on tonight's elimination. Bad call, judges.
My thoughts exactly Dave. One serves up something the judges called disgusting, the other something that was called terrible and I believe inedible as well and they stay? I guess Felix wasn't being snarky enough for them to want to keep on the show.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
With Ryan gone, Martinez is the closest thing they have to a "villain," as if that kind of role-play is necessary on a show with a good premise and competitors who have actual talent. Someone should remind the MasterChef braintrust that this is not Big Brother. Felix deserved another shot, especially over a guy who planned to make rice pudding, forgot the rice, then wound up in the bottom three despite a huge competitive advantage. What a maroon.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Agreed Dave. That kind of ratings manipulation ploy just cheapens an otherwise solid show. I posted somewhere on this thread that Felix wasn't getting much face time on the show...that was probably the first clue this was going to happen.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Agree with you guys about the latest eliminiation, almost seemed like a setup from the start of the show, you can just about predict who's leaving within the first five minutes because of the way the editing is done.
Filled with teasers and suspense, they may think they're slick, but they're not hiding any surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks