What's new

MasterChef Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't finished the episode yet, but had to mention this comment from Cutter about Leslie....

"He's an ex-beautician house-bitch that works for his wife". As Sheldon would say, "bazinga".

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Stan said:
Haven't finished the episode yet, but had to mention this comment from Cutter about Leslie....

"He's an ex-beautician house-bitch that works for his wife". As Sheldon would say, "bazinga".
To me, that comment reflects more poorly on Cutter than on Leslie. Sure, Leslie has been a horse's a** more than once this season, but Cutter can be just as obnoxious, and unlike Leslie (and Courtney, for that matter) he doesn't have the talent to back up his big mouth.

If the producers want a nice person and an inspiring story to win out this season, they're pretty much down to Christian or Elizabeth.

Real Name
Mike
Do any of you follow the Australian Masterchef and have any opinions about how it compares to the US version?

My girflriend and I currently follow the Aussie one only but are looking to try some other regions if the content is similar. The thing we love about the Aussie version is how nice all the judges are and how helpful the contestants all seem to be, is this something found in the US or Uk version?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
blindpet said:
Do any of you follow the Australian Masterchef and have any opinions about how it compares to the US version?

My girflriend and I currently follow the Aussie one only but are looking to try some other regions if the content is similar. The thing we love about the Aussie version is how nice all the judges are and how helpful the contestants all seem to be, is this something found in the US or Uk version?
Have never seen the Aussie version, but would love to. The only "international" TV I have access to is BBC America.

From what you describe, it sounds much different from our American version. We've got one nice judge (Graham Elliot), one semi-nice (Gordon Ramsay, who has toned down his screaming for this series) and the last one (Joe Bastianich), just plain arrogant and nasty most of the time.Could also just be editing for suspense, but the contestants can be pretty brutal. On the surface they may seem nice to each other, but at other times you wouldn't want to turn your back, you'll find a big knife ready to stab you.

It's still a fun show to view. One I would avoid is another Ramsay creation called "Hell's Kitchen". Completely different style and the contestants, wow, there are just no polite words to describe them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
blindpet said:

I've never seen the Aussie version either.

Those qualities were what drew my wife and I to this show at the beginning. It was so much more about the cooking (and learning) than Ramsay's other shows (Hell's Kitchen & Kitchen Nightmares). But I'm afraid now that the US MasterChef is now starting down the same slippery slope. The producers seem to think that interpersonal conflict and manufactured drama are what brings viewers to these types of show...rather than the simple original premise of amateur chefs vying against one another for a prize/title.

The UK versions of Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares (which I have seen) are much more constructive (and instructive), positive affairs which are much more genteel than Ramsay's US counterparts. All, of course, IMO.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks, you both verified my cocnerns. The Aussie version is about the journey of amateur chefs, growing, developing, innovating. They all support one another and are happy for their successes. What about the UK version?

I have requests for other food shows but will make a new thread for that :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have seen some episodes of the UK version of MasterChef with chef Michel Roux Junior. Very understated affairs which spend a lot of time talking about the dishes and the cook's vision of what they were trying to accomplish with what they put on the plate.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Best possible final 3 - all of them, regardless of any personality deficiencies, have major skills. But I would not be surprised if Leslie wins it all - if the pressure hasn't got to him by now, he has the best chance to keep it together in the finals.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Leslie and Courtney seem to get a lot of heat because of their attitudes but there's a very thin line between being cocky and confident. I think both have the skill to where I put their attitudes into the confidence category. I like both of them and I also like Elizabeth. I don't really care who wins but I'm somewhat going for Leslie. With that said, he was REALLY freaking out nerves wise in that last challenge in front of the judges. I liked Cutter too but he made some pretty stupid comments throughout the season and especially what he called Leslie at the end. However, I personally thought that was one of the best moments in the series' history because it really got you pumped up at the "win or go home" challenge. I thought the final episodes was extremely intense and you could see it in Leslie's face. For the first time we got to see him really scared that he was leaving.

One thing that hasn't been brought up here is how Cutter put on the risotto way too early and Graham saved his ass. I really, really felt this was cheating and if Cutter had one I think the victory would have been tainted. I know the judges often offer up advice but I thought this here was really unfair when it was a win or go home situation. Whenever the contestant messes up this badly on the main dish you have to let them burn.

As for Ramsey, I think he's pretty "nice" in this series. HELL'S KITCHEN seems to be more of an act to live up to its title. KITCHEN NIGHTMARES seems to be a middle ground as he throws his insults but is also there to teach. With MASTERCHEF he seems to be more friendly.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Leslie and Courtney seem to get a lot of heat because of their attitudes but there's a very thin line between being cocky and confident. I think both have the skill to where I put their attitudes into the confidence category. I like both of them and I also like Elizabeth. I don't really care who wins but I'm somewhat going for Leslie. With that said, he was REALLY freaking out nerves wise in that last challenge in front of the judges. I liked Cutter too but he made some pretty stupid comments throughout the season and especially what he called Leslie at the end. However, I personally thought that was one of the best moments in the series' history because it really got you pumped up at the "win or go home" challenge. I thought the final episodes was extremely intense and you could see it in Leslie's face. For the first time we got to see him really scared that he was leaving.

One thing that hasn't been brought up here is how Cutter put on the risotto way too early and Graham saved his ass. I really, really felt this was cheating and if Cutter had one I think the victory would have been tainted. I know the judges often offer up advice but I thought this here was really unfair when it was a win or go home situation. Whenever the contestant messes up this badly on the main dish you have to let them burn.

As for Ramsey, I think he's pretty "nice" in this series. HELL'S KITCHEN seems to be more of an act to live up to its title. KITCHEN NIGHTMARES seems to be a middle ground as he throws his insults but is also there to teach. With MASTERCHEF he seems to be more friendly.
I thought that was an odd situation with Cutter, Graham practically walked him through how to make risotto. And as anybody who as ever watched a Ramsay competition, you better learn Risotto 101 before competing, You certainly don't start it an hour before serving time, it's doomed for failure.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Well if Cutter would have been allowed to present a substandard risotto that would have killed the drama for the end of the show, because it's obvious who is going home. I think that they helped Cutter out to end the day on a happy note, but his fate was sealed with that misstep.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Michael Elliott said:
I think Gordon is a sweetie at heart. :) He just knows his "HK" act sells. That commercial he does for the phone plan is funny because he doesn't really throw things.

Cutter left graciously as a good sport.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S said:
I think Gordon is a sweetie at heart. :) He just knows his "HK" act sells. That commercial he does for the phone plan is funny because he doesn't really throw things.

Cutter left graciously as a good sport.
Have never seen more than a second or two of that commercial. I'm the king of the DVR FF button. Most shows fall into the six, seven or nine FF button presses (skip 30 seconds each). A few shows will really push it into the 10-11+ range, but those are mostly cheesy channels like SyFy.

It's fun to watch "Mystery Diners" on Food Network, you can literally watch an entire 30 minute episode in about ten minutes. All the repeat intro crap, then when they come back from a commercial they repeat the previous minute or two. Unbelievable how editors can stretch such little content into a full episode.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think that's my choice as well (and my name's not even Elizabeth). She consistently been one of the top performing cooks and she is more likable than either Courtney or Leslie, which is important when it comes to selling cookbooks. Part of me kind of wants to see Leslie win it because I've developed a soft spot for him, but then he'll so something and another part if me thinks "come on!"

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm taking Courtney to win it all--she's been my pick from day 1, and I can't see any reason to pick otherwise.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Oh, well, good for Courtney. I must say she remained much more poised than Elizabeth.

I did think the pressure test between Leslie and Courtney was stacked in her favor, no matter what they said. I can't remember, but has the pre-final pressure test always been desserts?

I realized Courtney's tone and way of speaking reminds me of Rachel Berry.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S said:
I realized Courtney's tone and way of speaking reminds me of Rachel Berry.
One of the things that rubbed me the wrong way about Courtney was the way she changed her tone depending upon whom she was addressing. With the judges, she was all wispy and demure but when interacting with fellow contestants she was bold and brassy.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Ugh!!! Stop STANDING like that and stop being such a whore. Also stop talking about your messed up life at "the gentlemans club"No WAY she won this on merit. Her whole thesis was "sex sells". Someone mentioned preferential treatment and I wouldn't doubt it for a second. This competition should have been Elizabeth's. The cakes thing was stacked in her favor and I think she bought off joe with her "flirtyness" that just made me sick. Sickening. I'm done with reality tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks