What's new

MasterChef Season 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Leslie can cook, but I don't know if he's a jerk or just a real flake. He reminds me of a guy who thinks he knows everything and because he knows one thing he is able to fake other people out.

I do enjoy.. I always wonder how they coax the weddings and the like to take the deal.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While I really don't like Ahren and agree she is very mature, Leslie did not do himself any favors. He's coming off as very immature too. And he's 56. Come on man. I wanted to like him because I initially thought he was getting a bad wrap, but last night was ugly. They've always stirred things up on this show. That's nothing new. I think I missed the auditions. Anyone else or do you like that they did away with them?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I do enjoy.. I always wonder how they coax the weddings and the like to take the deal.
I've often wondered the same thing. How could you possibly rely on a bunch of "chef" wannabes for such an important event in your life? There must be some kind of financial reward for participating, putting up with the cameras, crew, delays, and who knows what else.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Strange episode tonight. I think the eliminated contestant got shafted for an innocent mistake that could have been easily avoided. Why not assign freezer shelves to each chef? Or maybe different colored dessert cups?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That was a mighty strange happenstance.

I think there was more there than met the eye.

Somehow, Ramsay and company got tipped off (by production staff?) because there were certainly others who did the dessert half of the challenge. How would Ramsay have been so certain that it was Tyler who purloined the missing ramekin?

I didn't think his presentation of the tray with four ramekins was proof positive. But I guess it was--especially if they had it figured out ahead of time. I would have thought all the contestants would have brought all their ramekins back out to their stations after they had set.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the had it on film. I also agree it was likely confusion. The problem is, though, that as someone elsewhere pointed out the removal/etc. of those and put back or the movement around of them could have really impacted hers from 'setting up' and so it may have impacted multiple people with the results. That's likely why he had to go.

Still, though tough break.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Good, not great episode last night. Surprised Francis stumbled so badly after such a strong start. And I'm still not sure why so many contestants like Christian have it in for Courtney.

I'll bet the producers were steamed when the Leslie-Ahran pairing didn't produce the fireworks they expected. Kudos to both of them for behaving like professionals.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Truly surprised that Cutter stayed. But, either the judges really don't take the comments personally or they (& the producers) love the drama that Cutter brings.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
todd s said:
Truly surprised that Cutter stayed. But, either the judges really don't take the comments personally or they (& the producers) love the drama that Cutter brings.
I was kind of glad he stayed as it showed they are actually judging on food and not on personality. While his wasn't the best cake, it was better than whatshisname's. I forgot already. Yes, they like the drama, but it's still about the food. At least it seems that way to me.
'

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Cannot believe Cutter survived another cut. Either they sent Elise home because they thought the stress was too much for her, or they like how he mouths off to the judges because it's good TV.

Right now I'd say it's either going to be Courtney or Elizabeth. Ahran is a long shot but one of these times she's going to gamble on a high-risk dish and it won't pay off.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They know confrontations like those generated by Cutter make for "good TV."

That was a no-brainer.

As soon as Ramsay said in his run-up to the announced decision that Elise was going to be leaving that "the cook with whom we don't think we can work any farther..." I knew Elise was a goner. Why? Because all you saw in that episode was Ramsay helping her during her panic attack, trying to restore her confidence and even physically helping her through her pasta problems. It was obvious he wanted to help her and continue to work with her. He saw something in her that he liked.

Despite all that, though, the guy who he referred to as "stubborn" in that same show, who he bad-mouthed for not listening to the judges and for being "all about himself" remains.

It's aggravating, but rather predictable. You see the same thing in all of Ramsay's shows. They subjectively string along those loud-mouthed under-achievers because they think that's what the audience wants to see..rather than a legitimate competition based upon results. I find that in the few instances when I get to see the same shows in the UK, they have a much more legitimate feel to them.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Yes, I was a little surprised she got the boot, but I guess when you literally faint, after having a panic attack, over cooking something like salmon, the game is up. Cutter should thank her for that as a guy who doesn't know what balsamic vinegar is, or what some of the other terms Ramsay mentioned were (I can't remember now) really does seem out of his depth. It was a sad looking little pizza!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
GlennF said:
It was a sad looking little pizza!
Hey! That's a sad-looking little "artisan" pizza!

That was my favorite moment of the season so far! :laugh:

And Courtney only had a half-hour and her dish looked three times better!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have been watching with my daughters. We all can't stand Courtney. You can be confident without being so damned smug. Her bio says she is an aerial dancer....My oldest said "Stripper". LOL

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I absolutely loved the that the lower third graphic used quotes around artisan. Cracked me up. I can't believe Cutter is still around. He's been in the bottom every week and I really wanted to like him, but I am now left to wonder how he even made it past the auditions.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
I have been watching with my daughters. We all can't stand Courtney. You can be confident without being so damned smug. Her bio says she is an aerial dancer....My oldest said "Stripper". LOL
Missed last Monday, but thankfully it was one of those summer repeats and played again Friday.

My thoughts also regarding Courtney. "Aerial Dancer", please, is that the new term for pole dancer/stripper?. Her attitude is going to get her booted, she's way to impressed with herself. Plus the way she dresses, her makeup and stilettos, etc. just scream sl*t, if that's polite enough.

Looking forward for the rest of the chefs to start getting a little payback as she fails.

Hard to choose between her or Ahran as the most obnoxious "chefs" this season. Have a feeling Ahran will be tossing around temper tantrums this next episode and may end up with a mutiny.
Leslie has surprisingly survived. He is what he is and he's doing a pretty good job. Dump Ahran and Courtney, give him a chance to succeed.

My current feeling is this will come down to Leslie and Francis.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Not sure what the Bottom 3 were thinking this week. You know Joe is not going to be pleased if you make something so far removed from the original dish.

I'm one of those rooting for Courtney to leave. I'm tired ot looking at her shoes. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks