What's new

MASTER LIST: Warner Archive & Other Studio MOD DVDs With Trailers (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks, Wade. I am a big fan of DIRTY LITTLE BILLY. It's one of those revisionist westerns typical of the period, but extremely well written and acted, with an amazing performance by Lee Purcell. This one is so nicely done, it puts its more heralded and pretentious contemporary westerns like DOC to shame.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
From MGM/UA MOD series:

FORT BOWIE and
DAVY CROCKETT INDIAN SCOUT both have trailers.

In the same batch:

FORT DEFIANCE does not have a trailer but its a lovely Cinecolor transfer!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Savage Messiah, Rose Marie (1954), and Meet Me In Las Vegas all have trailers. The Boy Friend does not, but strangely the Laserdisc did. It must have been space constraints.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
The WA boxing noir WHIPLASH has a trailer. (Posted a bit later): Oh, sorry, I didn't notice this was already on the list.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the updates, everyone.

Allen, I'm betting the trailers for those three titles are classic 60's trailers, faux hip, faux mod, faux fab and faux happening, LOL. And probably all narrated by the couldn't be more square King Of The Trailers, Art Gilmore.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Professor Echo
Thanks for the updates, everyone.

Allen, I'm betting the trailers for those three titles are classic 60's trailers, faux hip, faux mod, faux fab and faux happening, LOL. And probably all narrated by the couldn't be more square King Of The Trailers, Art Gilmore.
They define the era will. I just wish THE FASTEST GUITAR ALIVE had one. I saw a copy on youtube and rolled over laughing. I understand WHEN THE GIRLS MEET THE BOYS, FOLLOW ME, AND I'LL FOLLOW THE BOYS are coming in a few weeks. Hope trailers are attached.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
The MGM/MOD of Mark L. Lester's BOBBIE JOE AND THE OUTLAW has a trailer, plus a nice 70s supporting cast of Lynda Carter, Jesse Vint, Belinda Balaska, and Gerrit Graham.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Warner Archive seems to have been giving up on them.

When WAC first started there was a lack of trailers and the most common was with the color titles from any era which I know they have but many b&w don't have them either as time went on. The are not the only ones. I have laserdiscs that have trailers not on DVD such as Universal's The Flower Drum Song. But don't stop there because the DVD of UA's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World is missing the overture that was on the laserdiscs I neglected to get and the VHS of Marty(UA, again) has a scene not in the DVD so I had to dub a VHS I had to DVD to preserve that sequence. Many British releases, often under licence to a third party, lack trailers but when a special edition turns up of any title that has been out before, often the trailer, miraculously, appears. Some trailers only exist as scratchy copies, spliced or incomplete. Rare to see a trailer restored but it has been known. Often trailers have appeared on VHS, laser or DVD that are the reissue trailers which is sometimes obvious with or without a change of narrator. The rule of thumb had been to utilize the original trailer for the reissue one. Then there are trailers made up but the film had a change of title like the last Judy Garland film, I Could Go on Singing where she plays Jenny Bowman. This was to be called The Lonely Stage and such a trailer had been produced & I have it on my laserdisc copy but it failed to appear on the DVD reissue.

It should be noted that many films from classic times have material missing that has been noted by the experts like Spencer Tracy's Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde(but the 1932 Paramount was lucky to have the censored scenes restored in a fashion) and the 1929 MGM Hallelujah was reissued in 1939 so the 1939 reissue trailer is on the discs but the film is missing at least a reel from the 1929 version as it was cut out in 1939. The censorship of many Paramount films from the pre-code era was rife for later reissues that did not always, then, take place. The bits were thrown away. The Paramount Jekyll is the only one I know of that has been restored, or able to be restored, close to the original release.

Many WAC from the depression era musicals are shorter or color titles in black & white now because these elements have been lost. A lot of color negatives were destroyed in a Technicolor clean up in the early 1950s because the studios declined to take the material back when asked. MGM was more fastidious in this regard but oversights and fires(1967, for example) has lost valuable material pre-1950 that had not been restored and buried in another vault. The RKO Rio Rita is a shortened version and not the original Roadshow version that is said to have been at Museum of Modern Art, loaned out, and then not returned. May or not be true. And people are sitting on rotting footage they refuse to hand over for restoration or want big money for it.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT (Warner Archive) has a trailer...I thought WA was giving up on them, too, but a spate of recent titles have had them.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
The MGM/MOD of John (ROLLING THUNDER) Flynn's DEFIANCE has a trailer - this one also has a New York street gang so bad they rob/terrorize the participants of a church's bingo game.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
The MGM Limited Edition DVD of "THE GUN RUNNERS"
has a trailer.
Oddly, the audio is in English and the graphics are in Italian!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
moviepas said:
...... And people are sitting on rotting footage they refuse to hand over for restoration or want big money for it.
There's a special place in cinematic hell for people like that! They are so-called film fans who are selfish hoarders and/or greedy SOBs!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
John, how is the quality of the CLOUDBURST DVD? I consider it Robert Preston's best performance and film. I have a good TCM copy, but may have to get this if it's a decent transfer. Can't imagine how they tried to sell this movie in a trailer....

Charles H

Screenwriter
The TCM print and the MGM MOD are about 9 minutes shorter than the original British release. It's still a terrific film and a great Preston performance. (Will we ever see FACE TO FACE, WHEN I GROW UP, and DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS on homevideo?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks