What's new

MASTER BURN-IN THREAD: READ THIS FIRST! (And ask follow-ups here.) (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
A PC would really be the best way to go. To even attempt it, you're going to need to get to the exact right amount, by the pixel to avoid getting a still very noticable line on the side.
Why isn't there a DVD for it? The average 'Joe 6-pack' won't be worried or notice this anyway, and certainly won't attempt to fix it. And the rest of us keep our cotrast turned down. :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I can attest to burn in happening, maybe its a bad example but at work we have security monitors, they are simple black and white, but one of the cameras got ripped down so that monitor is no longer in use and with the monitor off i can see the tile pattern from the floor. (the camera was stationary) and that camera was only in place about 2 years or so when it went down.

Granted that is a very static image, but there it is.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
that camera was only in place about 2 years or so when it went down.
"Only 2 years"? If the camera was on 24 hours a day, it would probably take me 24 years to get the same amount of burn on my TV. And I doubt that anybody calibrated the security monitor with VE or Avia. :)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
You cannot repair phosphor burn. All you can do is to damage (burn) the rest of the face of the CRT so that you can't see the lines from the burn. What will result is poor gray scale, color uniformity and whites that are pink. The only cure is to replace the CRTs. Anything else is a poor bandaid.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone address the issue of stations running logos at the bottom of programs or ticker tape info? Is this an issue for burn-in?

Sorry if this is an obvious question.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Can anyone address the issue of stations running logos at the bottom of programs or ticker tape info?
It's the same issue, with the same solution: Turn down the contrast, calibrate your set, don't leave static images on the screen when you're not actively watching.

My 16:9 is over 3 and a half years old, and I watch both a lot of broadcast TV and a lot of DVD. I don't have burn-in. Not from letterbox bars, not from sidebars, not from station bugs. Why? Mostly because my TV has been calibrated (and periodically recalibrated) since the day I got it.

M.

I think I have burn in. I have a Mitsubishi WS55805 Widescreen set. Had it since 8/00. When I was watching EPISODE II the other night I noticed something fishy on the left hand side of the screen in the beginning of the film during really bright scenes. The something fishy now looks like burn in from when my set is in 4:3 mode. I was scanning through MIB II tonight and saw it yet again during bright, white scenes. Its faint but its there. Now my question is what are my options? I have an ongoing warranty with the set from the store I purchased it at. Should I call them for assistance or should I just call Mitsubishi? And whoever I call, what should I tell them to get them to help me? If this is not an option what do I have to replace on the TV to resolve the problem and how much is it going to cost? Thanks in advance.

Gary Mui

Agent
So as preventative maintenance aka calibration, which disc should we use for a 16:9 RPTV set?

AVIA or Video Essentials?

I also heard that VE is coming out with a new disc sometime in jan/feb 2003.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Now my question is what are my options?
Limited. Burn-in is generally not covered under warranties, since it is not, strictly speaking, a defect. But you can certainly try to see whether the store will do anything for you. In the meantime, TURN DOWN YOUR CONTRAST to prevent the problem from getting any worse. (And read what Bill Lucas has to say just a few posts above yours.)

M.

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Contrary to some of the posts, burn in on RPTV's due to watching too much 4:3 material IS a reality!

My Toshiba 50HX81 was ISF calibrated shortly after purchase. Unfortunately, my wife watches a lot of broadcast TV. We therefore waqtched in what Tosh calls the "NORMAL" mode (4:3). We, of course also watched quite a bit of the DVD movies in widescreen. In less than a year I noticed faded bars on the left and right of the screen while viewing stuff like blue skies etc.

This is NOT COVERED by ANY warranty (they concider it abuse by display of static images...those grey bars!)!

I was able to make enough noise to Toishiba to have them replace the CRT's for free.

They have since put specific warning in their manual regarding 4:3 display and burn-in.

I have learned to live with stretch mode for 4:3 transmissions.

SAVE YOURSELF...SAVE YOUR CRT's and Phosphors. Get RPTV's calibrated, and limit your 4:3 viewing on RPTV's.

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
The danger of burn-in on rptv's is higher than direct view tvs for the very simple reason that the displays that are generating the images that are projected on the rptv set run at a much higher intensity. If those are crt's in the back, they run much brighter than a direct view. Plasma screens also have this problem, though less with the current generation of screens than the last. LCD's do not have this problem, as they filter the light comming through - but they have thier own issues (dead or stuck pixels, for example).

With the varieties we now have in sets and source material, we will always be watching things with some bars on the side. Once the 4:3 stuff disappears in about 8 years when broadcasters have switched to 16:9 HDTV and the old stock of VHS 4:3 is worn out and discarded, it will be less of a problem, until then, though, a display set MUST address viewing both 16:9 and 4:3 material.

It is not acceptable to require streching of 4:3 material to protect the set - but the manufacturers must work with the technology that is available. The average joe doesn't calibrate their set and only want the biggest picture - they will likely stretch thier images, zoom them, or not notice or care about any slight burn-in effects.

Calibrate your set, turn it off when its not being watched (use a smaller tube to have CNN running all day if needed), and make sure the technology of your set is proven and stable before investing. If I spend over $1000 on a tv/display, it had better work well and not self destruct based on the material I am watching if I take care of it from my end.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't read every post on here but.. When you see Black bars on the side of screens NO information is being projected to the screen and there for the screen is being used unevenly. correct. That can produce burn in. The Grey bars are better because they try to put an average amount of ware into the screen so theres no "burn in"

Dan M

Second Unit
I NEVER stretch or zoom any type of movie on my 16:9 set. But when it comes to the evening news or other crap tv programming I stretch to prevent burn-in.
Within a year I noticed slight burn-in caused by the grey bars when watching regular tv. I know it's the grey bars because my Panasonic RP91 provides black bars for 4:3 material and they are thinner than the grey bars provided by the tv ( the burn-in that I've noticed was the thicker bar). And folks, I DO NOT have the contrast setting too high. I use Video Essentials and I've had my component 1 input calibrated by our own Greg Loewen.
I would rather watch tv in 4:3 mode but I prefer not to aggrevate the burn-in problem just so I can watch Depends Undergarment commercials in it's 'proper' OAR. Sorry...
I'm still considered a OAR hypocrite by some here at the HTF
:rolleyes

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Dan,

Are you seeing brown coloration across the entire width of those side bars now?

I'm trying to understand this issue better. Personally, it seems to me that the grey side bars on my new Panny is too bright/intense. I think they should've chosen dimmer ones OR given us a choice in intensity.

Also, do you see any burn in effect from watching 2.35:1 movies? I guess maybe you don't watch those nearly as often as 4x3 content in OAR.

_Man_

Dan M

Second Unit
Man,

I can't say that I've noticed any brown discoloration that you described. You can only see the burn-in during very bright scenes. As soon as I noticed them though, I started stretching regular tv viewing. My Panasonic widescreen has a 'just' mode which basically keeps the center of the image from being distorted to a minimum while stretching mostly at the sides. It took a little while to get used to. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

I mostly watch dvd's, so I do indeed watch quite a bit of 2.35:1 movies. I watch an occasional classic which may be in Academy ratio. I welcome different aspect ratios. I have yet to see any burn-in from letterboxed movies. And I would never zoom except for nonanamorphic widescreen movies, and the RP91 does that automatically if the disc is flagged correctly.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Then what exactly do you see that indicates burn in?

Recently, I've seen a couple mentions of brown discoloration, including one guy who posted on the Panny dedicated forum site. He has the wx49 and has brown discoloration across the width of those side bars.

_Man_

Dan M

Second Unit
What I'm seeing is a very faint ghost of the 4:3 sidebars. The width of these 'ghost' bars are identical to the gray bars provided by the tv, which is why I attribute this to the tv as being the culprit and not the thinner black bars provided by my dvd player.

Again, you can only see the burn-in during very bright scenes. If the background is very bright looking, then the 'ghost bars' would be even brighter looking. They are always a tad lighter than the rest of the image.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks