What's new

Massive receiver prblems! (1 Viewer)

arcticcat91

Auditioning
Real Name
stuart
So I have a Harmon/Kardon HK3490 and it works just fine. However I just bought a new Samsung Tv PN51E450. I mostly just use my xbox to watch movies and play games and is hooked up to my Tv via HDMI. So I run a digital audio cable from Tv to receiver and got no sound. Then tried Xbox to receiver and same thing. I did my research and found that my receiver only plays 2.1 and will not convert 5.1 to 2.1 sound. So I bought myself a digital audio to analog audio converter that converts 5.1 to 2.1. Now I can't get any sound out of any of the normal inputs "vid 1, vid 2, vid 3, CD, TAPE. The only input I can use is the "main in" which is something to do with external amps or something. It would be fine except I cannot change the volume. It only plays LOUD. Not even if I turn the sound to -80 which I would assume mute it. I can't use the Tv volume to turn it down as it's going through "external speaker" and my receiver wont turn it down. I've tried going audio from Tv to receiver and not xbox to receiver and same issue. I am usually good at this stuff but its got me stumped. So my question is why am I not able to change my volume at all?

arcticcat91

Auditioning
Real Name
stuart
I know that my Tv output is PCM but I'm not sure if my receiver is able to do that or maybe I just don't know how to do that.

arcticcat91

Auditioning
Real Name
stuart
The only thing the Xbox did for the sound is that it helped with the delay. With it on Dolby Stereo there was a very very slight delay and the sound would go silent almost like it would shut off if there was a pause in the sound, sort of a clicking sound but with it on Dolby Digital 5.1 it made it sound smooth and didn't do that. Still not sure why I can't change the volume. I'm doing some reading and I think it may have something to do with using jumpers on the "main in". Thoughts?

arcticcat91

Auditioning
Real Name
stuart
I'm not trying to sound like an idiot here but if you're sure then give me a step by step of exactly what you would do because I have tried every number of combinations and I still get no sound I am 100% sure that my receiver works.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are supposed to be jumper pins connected between the Pre-Outs and the Main In's. Have you removed the pins for some reason? These pins connect the processing section of the receiver to the amplifier section. No pins means no sound. If you can't find the pins then regular audio cables will work in a pinch.

arcticcat91

Auditioning
Real Name
stuart
I have the pins. So you are saying connect the pins and then put in into whichever input I want and there should be sound. I'll try it out and see what happens.

arcticcat91

Auditioning
Real Name
stuart
I got it!!!! Thanks gene C. You have saved me hours and hours of turning over in my sleep!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Actually, Sam told you to put the jumpers back in three hours ago but I'll gladly accept the thanks in his place. Glad you got it working again.

Users who are viewing this thread