What's new

Massive Discounts on Warner Brothers DVD Boxed TV Sets (1 Viewer)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Heck, I've bought five WB sets in the last month (Smallville S4 and The West Wing S1-S4). I just need to get one.

Taylor

Auditioning
Anybody here of the sale happening in Canada? I wouldn't mind picking up L&C, ER, and OTH.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm guessing this is in-store only pricing. None of this new pricing is showing up on these titles at the store's website. :frowning:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Although when I first heard of the show I thought it sounded like a TV version of a chick flick, it is certainly not the case. It's really one of the best dramas on TV. My wife introduced me to it, and I watched it skeptically at first, but it's very gripping. On occassion, the sharp dialogue is too cute and too clever, but generally speaking, the writing is outstanding. The scenes between Lorelai and her mother are often very intense.

Anyone know if Friends Season 3 is included in the sale?

DanMel

Second Unit
I will not be buying anything from Warner Brothers as I am officially boycotting them as I have been waiting for them to release Gary Cooper movies like Sgt York and The Hanging Tree since the DVD medium was invented to no avail. Warner Brothers sucks.:thumbsdown:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have some additional information for everyone. Since I work at Target and I run the electronics department during the overnight process and I'm also responsible for stocking the shelves before the store opens, I just learned that it's a temporary price drop and that the sale is only through this saturday.

Temporary price drop means that it's a special promotional "limited time" offer on these boxed sets.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Is the sale only at Target or does it extend to Best Buy and Wal*Mart as well? We have no Target in the entire state of Vermont.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah. Let's ignore the fact that WB was instrumental in getting the DVD format off the ground in the first place and in making anamorphic widescreen the de facto standard from the first. They haven't released a handful of movies I want, too, so I guess I should join your boycott.

Can you say "futile" and "pointless"? I knew you could.

BTW, have you tried writing to Warner Home Video asking about the missing flicks (which could be tied up in rights limbo) so at least know they know that someone's interested? Or do you figure that by passively not buying their product you are somehow communicating with them. How would that work? How would they a) notice that one person isn't buying their discs and b) connect that fact with the films of Gary Cooper? Are they supposed to use their psychic powers to do this? Just wondering...

Regards,

Joe

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
While I tend to agree that in the past Warner was very slow to react in releasing these TV DVD boxed sets they have been pumping out a lot of them lately. But, I wouldn't exactly call these titles loss-leaders. Dukes of Hazzard, Gilligan's Island, Friends, Smallvilla, Lois and Clark and many of those others are hit shows.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately Smallville is the only one of these that I'm even remotely interested in, and I haven't watched it since Season 2. If only they'd waited another week and included Veronica Mars in the sale :frowning:

Now that's just unsane. For the past couple years, Warners has been doing a phenomenonal job with their catalogue, releasing discs that are second only to Criterions. I would be very surprised if they don't have a Gary Cooper Signature Collection in the works, and depriving yourself of the Gangster, Film Noir, Controversial Classics, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, James Dean, Alfred Hitchcock, Thin Man, and Garbo sets until it comes out is silly.

ravma

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
The 18.88 sale may be temporary, but the 19.99 pricing at Wal-Mart and K-Mart leads me to believe this is a little bit more than a 1 week sale.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

More like a year; the titles listed have all been out for at least half of a year.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I assumed that this was a WB price drop of some sort, or a sale by one of the stores and the others were just pre-emptively matching the price - with Target going a smidge lower for a competitive edge. That (and the fact that the stores featured the titles in their weekly circular) suggests the usual one-week sale, to me. I went to my local Tar-zhay tonight on the way home from work and picked up a couple of sets, but they had sold out on two others. So I'll hit the store by the office tomorrow and hope the area is a different demographic. :)

Regards,

Joe

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

That's because Target.com's Movies/Music/Books section is powered by Amazon...the prices will be the same as Amazon.com

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Went to two Targets last night to pick up Nip/Tuck, but they were out of stock at both stores. So I decided to get Smallville and Lois & Clark and do an extended Superman marathon.

None of these were anywhere in sight in two Wal-Marts I visited.

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up

Smallville S1
Gilligan's Island S2 (Already own 2 &3)
ER S2 (Already own S1

Taget made it very conveinient for Rain checks.
They had a tablet full of them attached to each empty spot also.

I got a rain check for Smallville S2.

I might go back and get West Wing S1 &2 or
Friends 1 &2

you add in the rebate and wow!
I already have 1 WB item waiting to send in for my rebate so basically I am paying $8.88 each. WOW!!!!!

you can't beat this

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Folks in the Midwest may want to check MEIJER; season sets have been spotted for $16.99 each at one OH location. There's no indication that it's a nationwide offer, but it doesn't hurt to check if you were planning on grocery shopping anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks