What's new

Mass image resizing (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if there's a program that can resize mulitiple images at once?

Say I take 100 digital pictures at 1600x1200 and I want to resize them to put them online. I'll want to scale them down to 800x600. How can I do this without going through and repeating the same job 100 times?

Can Photoshop do this? If not, what can?

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
It is really easy in photoshop.

Make an action, I am not in front of PS right now but it is really easy. Pretty much all you will need to do is, create and name a new action and assign a key to it. Then hit the record button, and go to Image/Image size and put the image size that you want to change to, choose your saving method, and then stop recording the action.

The go to File/Automate/Batch at the drop down menu choose your newly created action. Then choose the directory where your pictures are and choose an output directory where you want the newly resized files to go. Then hit ok and it should do it for you.

I may be missing some steps here but that is should be pretty close. You should be able to find something on the web fairly easily.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Not sure of your operating system, but I am pretty sure you can also do this with WindowsXP by itself. Just select all the image files then right click and there should be an option to resize.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
If you have photoshop already, it's real easy.

1) Window Menu
2) Show Actions (if it says Hide Actions, you already have the toolbar displayed [it is combined with History])
3) Open one of your images.
4) Click the "Create new action" button on the toolbar, it is next to the Trashcan.
5) Name the action whatever you want, say, "Resize to 100".
6) Click "Record" in the window you chose the name.
7) Resize the image however you want, do NOT save.
8) Click the stop button, it is next to the red record button the toolbar.

You now have you action. To use it:

1) Close all images
2) File Menu
3) Automate
4) Batch
5) Under the Action pulldown, choose your newly created action
6) Set Source to Folder
7) Click "Choose" and choose the folder containing your images
8) Set Destination to Folder
9) Click "Choose" and choose the folder containing your images
10) Set filename to something like "resized_" + DocumentName + EXTENSION
11) Click "OK"

Photoshop will then open the images in that folder, and resize them with the prefix "resized_".

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Another vote for IrFanView, but I use ACDSee 5.0 for all all of my batch processing and organizing.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
using ben's advice, you can make a droplet. that is when you have an icon on the desktop (or wherever) that you can drag the image file onto, and it will perform the action you created automatically. i think that it performs the action without opening photoshop as well.

CJ

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Macromedia Fireworks has a built-in batch optimization option for images.

It has worked well for me as a "quick and dirty" solution to get 100+ images online and dialup friendly.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks