What's new

MASH The Complete Series Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I fully understand how those consumers that purchased the individual seasons along the way feel "cheated" out of the bonus material.

I would support the idea of Tony D & Kenny Neal to have the studio offer a way to get the bonus discs by offering up proof-of-purchase of the first 11 sets. If I was a MASH fan who had already purchased the individual season sets, I could at least feel that, even though I had probably spent well over what the total set is selling for, I had the opportunity to have those sets a heckuva alot earlier to enjoy them. But, I still would want access to the bonus material...even if I had to pay for it.

And it's amazing they are offering that huge set for just $200 MSRP...when they are offering single Season 11 for $40! :eek: That really shines a bright light on the weirdness of the whole thing.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I was able to preorder the complete set for $146.36. Just Season 11 can be preordered for $29.27.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But if each of the season sets were in that price range (and I don't know if they were) 11 seasons x $30 = $330!...more than twice what this set is going to cost (and not including the theatrical film and the bonus material).

It's just another reason the season-set-buyers can feel screwed...although as I said earlier they can rationalize the increased expense by saying they had "early access" to the material. But not getting the bonus material would be hard to swallow.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
Yeah, the additional of the bonus material is a giant slap in the face to the big fans. Honestly, when I went to order the whole series, it's because I just wanted them for a cheaper value. The extras disc to me isn't that much of an incentive to buy as much as the pricing on the whole run.

Fox has got its head shoved firmly up its rear. A good way to protest might be to hold off on getting Season 11 until you can get it for cheap. What is Fox going to do, discontinue the series?

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Like I had mentioned earlier that I never picked up the individual sets because I knew that eventually they would come out with a box set once all the seasons were done. Almost feel like because I did this and not buy each set individually I'm being cruxified. My wife likes to buy all her fav TV shows as they come out but not me. I like to hold out for when something like this comes along. $146.00 for a set with 36 discs is not a bad deal at all.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
One gets the feeling that maybe sets of entire series would do better than the piecemeal method that we've been seeing. It seems that Fox thinks the same way in this respect.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The entire series set only exists because the individual seasons sold. They never would release a 36 disc set first because it's too much of a financial risk. It's not a risk when they're just re-releasing DVDs that have already made them money. It's just a way to make even more money. Plus, they can lower the price to make it more attractive to the more casual fan.

It sucks that you have to rebuy the sets to get the bonus discs but if anyone wants the bonus discs that badly, sell the individual sets on eBay and buy the series set for $150.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I've got a way how Fox could make those that purchased seasons 1-10 a little less angry over the lack of bonus disks in Season 11. Why couldn't Fox sell the bonus discs along with the series set case/box that all of us could use to store our seaons 1-10. If they could do it for the Simpsons re. the Homer head, why not MASH? I'd certainly pick it the bonus discs and case for $20-$30.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was able to sell the ten seasons I had already purchased and sold them on eBay for around $180. When the set is released at Target next week I'll get the set for the final price of about $140 along with my employees discount ... ehehe ... hopefully there's a play-all feature on every disk and the bonus features I plan to actually watch with this set ... ehehe ...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

You're going to get exactly the same content on the first seasons - no play all. That would require them to redo those discs at a cost - the point of these complete sets is to make lots of money by reselling something that has already been sold, just with a few bells and whistles tossed in to make the set attractive.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
After selling the complete seasons 1-10 on eBay for $180, I sold the original sets I had purchased in favor of buying the complete series set but after hearing the problems with scratched disks, damaged disks and other problems regarding the way the set is packaged I just decided to purchase the original MASH releases at $20 per each.

While it is strange that FOX has placed the set on a moratorium and that sets are scarce, the Target store I work at still has 3 sets of this release in stock for $189.99. I can't understand how the set is scarce.

I wonder if FOX has plans on making the bonus features available to those who purchased the individual sets over time by trying to make the fans who have bought these sets feel appreciated by rewarding their loyalty.

Mary_P

Second Unit
They haven't done it yet with "Buffy." "The Chosen Collection" included a bonus disc with new interviews that weren't on the original season releases.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Just saw quite a few sets put out at Future Shop and Best Buy. It seems not sold out. But not rushed to purchase.

Clay_E

Second Unit
There was some talk over at DVDTalk (appropriate, I suppose) to the effect that the extras were going to be made available separately. There's been no word of this from anywhere else, though, so I imagine the person who wrote that was indulging in wishful thinking...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks