MASH The Complete Series Boxed Set

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

2. Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu Stunt Coordinator

Sweet. Thanks the edge of all those seasons going for cheap occasionally. Might as well just buy them all in one go when the mood hits.

3. Mark Talmadge

I'm also thinking about alternatively maybe giving the sets to my dad and buying him a DVD player and giving him the sets as a sort of christmas present. My dad originally got me addicted to MASH way back in the 70's when me and my brother had to watch the shows that he liked to watch. Now, I'm a huge devoted fan of this series.

4. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

Interesting, though - no notation on the TVSODVD blurb about episode commentaries - to me that would be the one extra which would cause all who bought the original season sets to have buy the new master set. Without commentaries, the master set might not be a must buy

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Because that would involve them changing the existing discs. If you look at all the "complete series" sets you'll notice that they all include a bonus disc (or two, or three), but the previously released seasons stay the same. That's because they can use the same masters to produce the new discs, then just change the disc art. If they added commentaries then they'll have to go and change the menus, and create new masters, which drives up their costs. They're more interested in selling something which has 90% of the costs already paid for through the other season sets.

Gord

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I almost wish I was a MASH fan, that set sounds sweet, and 11 seasons for under $200 (and don't forget DDD sale coming up) is a bargain

7. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    This is totally awesome!! I'm glad I never got around to starting on MASH. Goody goody!!

8. Mark Talmadge

Best Buy and Target will have the sets for around $150-175, most likely. [​IMG] I'm looking forward to this set. I'm expecting that Best Buy will have the set price between $100-150, though.

9. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

As happy I'm to hear that they've decided to package all related MASH shows/movies in one set - it was inevitable, what I'd love the studio to do for us people that purchased each season as they became available is to provide us with those extras mentioned for the series set in Season 11. Does anyone think they would?

Joe

10. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

One of the reason why I never bought the individual sets. Knew sometime there would be a complete set.

11. Roger_S

Roger_S Stunt Coordinator

I dislike how people say "I'm glad I never bought the season sets" because I'm one who did. To me, doing this now is a slap in the face to everyone (like myself) who has loyally bought each season as it came out. I'll buy the 11th set but am not going to buy the entire series a second time.

12. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

No disrespect was intended. Just come to realize that these shows will eventually come in a complete set sometime down the line. MASH was/is one of my all-time favorite TV shows and I still watch the reruns when they are one. I do buy season sets from time to time but not as much as some people and loyalty has nothing to do with it.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I only got the first 3 seasons, then "lost steam" as I got sidetracked with all sorts of other TV releases. I suppose it might make sense to offload those 3 and get this now instead of the remaining 8...

14. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I bought the first 8 seasons, but I plan on giving them to my sister and her family, then I'll grab this set. I'm curious to see what the "extras" are, exactly.

Glad to see tvshowondvd posted my news submission!

[​IMG]

15. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Nope. They're putting the extras in the big set, and they want you to rebuy the seasons to get it.

Gord

16. Coressel

I bet they'll also recycle the same old lame photoshop cover art for this set.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Yep. I know how you feel. I bought a bunch of the individual Star Trek TOS 2 eps DVDs. Then they come out with those nice full season sets. Grrr... In their defense, season sets came popular a bit after Paramount started releasing those.

Releasing all extras for those who bought the older versions would seem the right thing to do.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well i only bought the first 4, for cheap during b1 g1 free sales, so here they go to ebay.
    i think i only opened the first one too.

seems a shame that an offer for those that already bought all of them isnt available.

"if you already own all the mash sets, send us the upc's to recieve the new materials."

19. Coressel

I also find it odd that they are including Altman's film with this set, considering that it has just been reissued again with other Altman films.

20. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

I agree that this is a big FU to those of us who have bought the sets as they've been released over the past 5 years. The least they could do is include the bonus discs with the final season--then those who don't have any of the sets will get a nice deal on all of them, and those of us who bought them separately won't get the shaft.