What's new

MASH: A classic (1 Viewer)

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched this a couple days ago and found this to be hilarious! The funniest gag was probably Burns and Hot Lips tryst being broadcast over the camp. I know political discussion is discouraged on this board, but I have to say that with the recent war in Iraq (which I was STRONGLY against), this film should have been resurrected. I think a film that reduced war and the authority figures who started it to complete absurdity needed to be seen by as many people as possible (even if you were in favour of the war, you'd still get to see a very funny movie). Anyway, what did other people think about this movie?

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I think a film that reduced war and the authority figures who started it to complete absurdity needed to be seen by as many people as possible (even if you were in favour of the war, you'd still get to see a very funny movie). Anyway, what did other people think about this movie?
MASH gets draged out again and dusted off for a new war. Probably a half dozen other discussion over the years on this movie.

MASH Doesn't work very well in this era. Though it took place during the Korean War, it was easily recognized as a satire of the Vietnam War and the lack of any kind of logical plan to win the war as had been the goal of the U.S. Military up to Korea.

The military like any large government or corporate organization is the essense of bureaucracy. The incompetent rising to levels of authority where novel thinking and speaking out risk loosing an unassaleable positon.

Catch 22 , the book, probably did a better job of poking fun at the bureaucratic aspects of the military in WWII, but that was old history to kids who were serving in Vietnam and weren't old enough to remember WWII. Of course the young soldiers didn't remember Korea either, but it did have Asian people and the symbolism was understood.

The MASH analgy to Iraq is not a good fit for now. If we are still doing police service there in a year and the true bureaucratic nature of the organizations that come in there, our military, but probably even more comical will be if the UN gets in there.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
With that SARS stuff goin round I can't believe ABC or someone hasn't shown Outbreak yet. I think a film that shows how to deal with this stuff needs to be seen by as many people as possible.

;)

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
If for no other reason its a great watch just to hear the words to "Suicide is Painless", classic stuff. Be forewarned, if you are so inclined, the movie soundtrack does not contain the vocal version of that song. I do like the movie but I think the football stuff in the end went on a tad too long.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
James,
If you are still out there I thought I better clarify my last note. I checked out your Amazon link and by God if you weren't right! So I was going to humbly respond with something to the extent of, "Please forgive the man with the big mouth and small brain." ,but something just didn't seen right so I trudged down into my deep dark basement and found my 1973 vinyl copy of the soundtrack, and sure enough, not the same! That cool vocal group singing on yours sure ain't on mine! Isn't it nice when everyone is right? Wouldn't it be cool if the world could solve all of its problems as easily? My dusty old copy does have some of the soundtrack of the SIP scene with the actor singing the song but people blabbing over the singing makes the words unintellegible, so I feel that doesn't count. Nuff said.(Gott'a get a life, I know, I know) Have a good day.

James E

Stunt Coordinator
Billy,
Don't get a life, just the cd version of the soundtrack.:D that track is the main resion i bought the disk, well worth it.

james

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
When the movie came out it was banned in Army theaters...I was then in the Army (learning Vietnamese), and a bunch of us went to a drive-in in El Paso and watched several consecutive shows.
We loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks