What's new

"Mary Tyler Moore Show" Season 6 announced for Feb. 2010 release! (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

Can't remember which of the last seasons it was in, but the "cameo" by Johnny Carson is one of my all-time favorites!
The Johnny Carson cameo was the final season episode "Mary's Big Party", which might just get seen on DVD yet. I guess it's not a long way to Tipperary after all. Thanks, Oprah!

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone with input into the Season 7 set (that hopefully is being worked on now) is reading, it would be very nice if the original closing credits to the final episode were used, rather than the closing credits used in syndication. When the final episode was first aired, Mary came out and introduced the cast one by one, as they walked out on stage for the last time to audience applause, as the final credits rolled over it. I have a recording of this from long ago, but it's poor quality - and I saw it on Youtube awhile back also. Hopefully there's a decent copy of it available somewhere and I hope it make it into the DVD set.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Dan-P

If anyone with input into the Season 7 set (that hopefully is being worked on now) is reading, it would be very nice if the original closing credits to the final episode were used, rather than the closing credits used in syndication. When the final episode was first aired, Mary came out and introduced the cast one by one, as they walked out on stage for the last time to audience applause, as the final credits rolled over it. I have a recording of this from long ago, but it's poor quality - and I saw it on Youtube awhile back also. Hopefully there's a decent copy of it available somewhere and I hope it make it into the DVD set.
I'd love to see that too.

But I also have a copy of the very last network broadcast, which was this episode, and the standard credits were used. Not a good case for it still existing.

I just want seasons 6 and 7. Period. Enough is enough.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
"Opening an Old Can of Worms" Alert!

But ...

A lot of us here and all over the Internet strongly criticized Fox for their original plan to release Seasons 5, 6 and 7 only as part of a complete set. When they announced they canceled the complete set, the complainers were criticized for fear that Fox wouldn't release 5, 6 and 7 as single sets.

It's a relief to see this announcement for Season 6 -- and it does show that it pays to complain on the Internet, when the complaining is justified, as it certainly was!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I still say that if the complete series plan had been chosen, the price probably wouldn't have been much more than three individual seasons, and we would have had the whole series by now.

But, that time is past, and after February, we'll only be one season shy of the whole series, so it all worked out... this time.

If the Oprah magic worked, I would expect S7 to be out in mid-2010, with the delayed full series probably out for, what, Christmas 2010?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I was unaware that the finale had those unique closing credits. It would be great if those were included but I'm guessing they won't go to the trouble or they will be unable to find the original version. Although a lesser-quality version of them could be included, perhaps as a bonus.

One reason I have stopped collecting the individual seasons is because I am now worried that if we do indeed get a complete series we will see more bonus features that aren't being included in the season sets. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened with a series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Rain

One reason I have stopped collecting the individual seasons is because I am now worried that if we do indeed get a complete series we will see more bonus features that aren't being included in the season sets. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened with a series.

From Fox? For a show from the 70s? I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that occuring.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
From Fox? For a show from the 70s? I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that occuring.

Well isn't this the company that released the MASH series quite frequently then included a great bonus disc w/their complete series set? I mean the MTM Show has some great reunions and tv movies they could add for a complete series set, as well as new interviews w/the remaining cast, like the reunion on the Oprah show from last year. I could totally see FOX doing this. That is why I sold off my individual sets and am now holding off for the complete series next fall/Christmas.

I wish they would just get the Bob Newhart show back on schedule w/releases the same day as the MTM Show sets, like it used to be.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
Just when I thought the well had totally run dry after weeks and weeks of "Nothing" (In my hunmble opinion of course). Even I have something to smile about. I never thought I would say this, but....Thank you Fox. And to think; some 'clown' had to give his life to make it happen.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And the guy who wrote "Chuckles Bites The Dust" did himself bite the dust:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/11/11/veteran-writer-david-lloyd-dead-after-a-long-illness/

He must have died of shock when he read the Season 6 announcement.

Seriously though, R.I.P., thanks for the great shows you wrote, and say hi to Chuckles for us.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Dan-P ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Great! This is excellent news. I am looking forward to this DVD release ... it's has been literally years since I've seen these episodes of TMTMS.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I just ordered this item a couple of nights ago ... I hope it will be shipping real soon. I can't wait to see season 6!!!

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
I know they sold at least one this morning. Me. Watch for that third discs. It may come loose. I'm hoping that the final season is this summer, say like before September. Until then I'll be watching season 5 and six VERY slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks