What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2 coming in July (CONSOLIDATED DISCUSSION) (2 Viewers)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Cathy, the only way I can interpret your comments in a way I come close to agreeing with is this:

Think of the whole thing as a "dead issue", and put it from your mind. Don't lose any sleep over whether or not you get it. Because if you don't get it, then you'll never be disappointed. At least, no more so than you are right now.

So, think of it as "dead" if you prefer. And then, if you DO get the S2 release, go buy it and enjoy it. But then, think of 3-7 as "dead" until Fox says otherwise.

Perhaps that's the way to go for someone who feels as passionate about this as you obviously do.

David VP, thanks for the compliment. But she IS right about the site still saying that. Click here, and look in the upper right when the picture settles down.

Randy, good post. Very good explanation!

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
David. Go to the Fox Home Entertainment and click on "video vault". Then scroll down til you get to MTM. Click on that and a site will come up advertising MTM. On the top left corner tou will see a small picture of Mary and Lou Grant and a caption that reads "SEASON 2 COMING SOON". Look real closely and you will see that "SOON" is in actuality "Never". Let's be realistic ok? It isn't happening. It is a business decision we (the fans) lost.

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
Good one Malcolm. My glass is actually half full. It's my MTM collection that is only one drop full. This whole mess has put me off buying season 2. But wait, who say's there's going to be a season 2?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that it is safe to say that MTM seasons 2-7 are automatically dead just because there is no release right now. If season 2 were ever announced then to me it would be logical to assume that 3-7 would also come out because if Fox were to find a way to release season 2 that didn't involve a heavy loss on their part they'd probably gladly do season 3-7.

Now, I will grant you that the 2 shows are not related in any other way other than being Fox properties but I dug up this old quote from the late 2002 chat with Peter Staddon to illustrate that anything can indeed happen.

Cathy I apologize if this sounds like I'm picking on you but this statement raises a ton of questions for me.
1. If you have been put off from buying season 2, then why do you care whether or not season 2 is released?
2. If you are put off from buying season 2 then why have you started no less than 4 threads in the past 2 months related to a season 2 release?
2A. For that mattter why bother making posts essentually throwing season 2 in the grave, since even if it came out you wouldn't buy it?

I've got to speak to this whole argument about a show being dead simply because all of its seasons haven't made it to market. This is honestly not a notion that I agree with. We've gone way more than a year without a release of Malcolm in the Middle, but that doesn't mean that there is no hope for a future release. The quote from Mr. Staddon didn't put MTM in the grave, so who are we to put it in there for him?
Would anyone that holds this view concerning MTM being dead until season 7 is on the shelf say the same thing about M*A*S*H or the Simpsons? No, because these shows are clearly not dead even though they're not on the shelf, we still know that M*A*S*H season 6 is likely due around June, and that we'll probably see Simpsons season 4 sometime this year. Just because a show doesn't have an established release pattern today doesn't mean it won't have one a year from now.

I'll agree with David VP and others in terms of still having hope for this release and agree with Randy Salas and David Lambert and their posts in general.

But I just ask you to take a look at that In Living Color quote again, and ask yourself which show was given a more criptic fait, MTM this year or ILC last year?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please note that when rumors fly out of control, studio enthusiasm for this board suffers. Since nothing concrete has been offered by the man from Fox, I've retitled this thread to better reflect reality.

(And you know something? This is giving me a big case of deja vu.)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I would assume Mary Tyler Moore has a fanbase...

How can stuff like Big Brother Season 3 sell well enough to warrant it, but not Mary Tyler Moore???

I dont get it... It is just very weird to me...

Shows such as All in the Family and Sanford and Son (which came around the same time and were popular as well) sold well enough to warrant further seasons... Mary Tyler Moore was a very popular show... I really dont understand it...

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that very few people out there refuse to live in the real world. Read between the lines. As much as i hate to say it, The dvd release of seasons 2-7 will not ever happen.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Cathy,

I can understand your disappointment in this... But, this is no reason to become Satan of the Home Theater Forum and take it out on us... :confused:

I mean there's not much any of us can do about it anyways... Sure, you will probably say that we all should have all hauled a** and bought the show if we liked it or not, but thats just not reality...

I am sorry, but you get a grade of F as optimistic DVD counseler at the forums... :frowning:

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

If you don't mind, would you please stop repeating yourself? You have already made your opinion perfectly clear, so all you are doing at this point is antagonizing those forum members who share your interest in the show.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Really. I think you've made your point (multiple times in fact).

There's obviously nothing anyone can say to change your mind, and there's nothing you can say to get us to take a more negative outlook.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'll take acception to this. I have optamism about a release of future seasons of MTM, maybe not this coming year but eventually. I even pull up an old quote from Mr. Staddon regarding In Living Color to support my optamism and yet I'm still accused of living in a world that is not reality.

Reality is that 1 year ago there was no hope for ILC on DVD, rights issues were too messy and any number of other problems. Yet, 1 year later ILC is getting ready to hit stores in April. That either means that Mr. Staddon was lying to us, or something in the DVD landscape fell in to place to make this release possible. I don't believe Mr. Staddon was lying when he said that ILC wasn't going to happen. The fact is that even if at the time of that chat Fox were negotiating music rights for ILC he couldn't guarantee that those negotiations wouldn't have fallen apart resulting in no DVD release of ILC, it would've been a lot more dangerous for him to say that ILC was a possibility when at the time it could've gone either way.

What does this have to do with MTM? Its simple, look at the 2 quotes the 1 for MTM s. 2 and the 1 for ILC. Now if you showed those to your average street walker and then asked them to guess which show was more likely to hit DVD, a majority of them having only those quotes to go buy would say MTM season 2. The In Living Color quote was a lot more criptic and a lot less optimistic than the MTM one.

Given that, I choose to believe that there is still hope for a release, because quite honestly it hasn't been declared a dead issue. Cathy, the fact is that you don't know what the landscape will be like in 1 or 2 years perhaps there will be a drop in the amount fox would have to spend on production of these sets making them more likely to make a profit, and that is reality. Reality is that you can be no more certain that they won't come out than I can be that they will come out. That is reality, the difference is that I have more than just my own opinion to support my side of the issue. Now Cathy if you want to go hunting up quotes that expressly state that the MTM series is dead and present them than go ahead I'll be reading but until then its just your opinion.

I'm sorry to the HTF administration or to any other poster including Cathy if I sound overly harsh or sensative on the subject I'm trying to respond to these sorts of things as calmly as I can, and with logic and reason and not name calling. I don't enjoy being accused of living in a fantasy land for being optamistic when the only thing the accuser has to make that accusation is an opinion.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the link, David. I've seen that webpage before, but I just couldn't for the life of me find it earlier today. (Nice advertisement page, BTW. Very snazzy-looking.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Gosh....It appears that Cathy now has THREE separate personal problems now! She's having difficulty discerning the word "Possibility" from the word "Dead". And now she sees a subliminal "Never" where "Soon" should be. Plus -- she can't tell "Left Corner" from "Right Corner" (which is where the "Coming Soon" blurb is actually located on that webpage).

I sure hope she's able to place her 4 MTM-1 discs into the player correctly. Hint: "Label" side goes "Up". :)

(Sorry, Cath...I'm just playin' with ya. The "Coming Soon" IS on the RIGHT side of that page though, not the left. I'd have to say that the "Coming Soon" banner still being on that webpage IS a "good sign", however. ;))

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks