What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2 coming in July (CONSOLIDATED DISCUSSION) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have posted that stuff. Sorry. :frowning:

But this reminds me of something that does tick me off a bit re. MTM.....

On several of the episodes of MTM put out on VHS by "New Video Group" in 1997, "fake" typewriter sounds have been added into all the various WJM Newsroom scenes for some of the episodes (can't recall which ones at the moment). Plus: the office scenes also, in addition to the ridiculous clanking of typewriters you never see on camera, are replete with constantly-ringing telephones. This is just plain silly -- and totally eliminates the homey, small-station atmosphere of the WJM office scenes on those VHS versions of those episodes.

I certainly am hoping that when those particular eps. arrive on DVD (knock-wood), that the DVD transfer doesn't have those unnecessary ambient sound effects on the discs.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
So how's the series finale going to be handled on DVD when they sing "It's a long way to Tipperary"? Is it going to be replaced by "nonsense humming"?

No apology needed David. This is information needed to allow consumers to make up their minds on this release. Personally, it's not a deal killer since it's only incidental music, but rather a disappointment.

Had the Van Dyke show (where music was occasionally an integral part of the episode) had music replacement/songs deleted that would have been a deal killer.

Steve

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I agree Steve. And thanks.

Any "minor" edit to TMTMS isn't a deal-breaker for me either. But it is kinda frustrating.

BTW, I watched two MTM-2 eps. today -- and these prints look PRISTINE. Just great! Looks like they could have been filmed this year.

BTW #2, the box-cover specs are wrong re. the audio -- It's 2.0 Mono in both English & Spanish (just like Season 1), instead of the 1.0 listed on the box.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes -- I absolutely agree.
Somehow, Rob & Laura's "Mountain Greenery" being replaced by a Best Boy or Key Grip humming the tune in the background just wouldn't QUITE seem the same. :)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of music rights issues: in the new documentary included in the second season set, Georgia Engel remarks that one of her favorite scenes from the series was when she performed the number "Steam Heat" (this episode is from the sixth or seventh season). The accompanying clip of that number includes the video, but not the audio.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Interesting. I guess we can count on cuts on all of these releases. If that scene is indeed cut, that is certainly more than incidental music being sacrificed.

When I originally posted my comment above about replacing "Tipperary" with humming, I was somewhat tongue in cheek. Now I wonder if that's closer to the truth than thought.

Steve

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
If it's any consolation, IIRC "Steam Heat" was retained in that episode even after MTM nuked a lot of the music in its shows in the late '90s, just before it collapsed entirely. (This was when most of the WKRP music got replaced, when Ted's singing the Wedding Song got overdubbed with nonsense, etc.; but "Steam Heat" -- and Mary's hilariously bad rendition of "One For My Baby" in the same episode -- were paid for and retained.)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

Hmm. Last week, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution listed MTM S2 before any other releases for this week, including movies like The Upside of Anger.

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
I have one really important question for anyone who might know this.

HOW ARE THE SALES FOR MTM SEASON 2?

I only ask this because if sales aren't up to par, we fans may not see seasons 3 through 7 ever released on dvd.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Right now MTM Season 2 ranks #17 in sales at Amazon. Not bad, but hopefully sales will pick up before the next wave of releases...

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't be too concerned about "Tipperary" being cut from the last episode of the final season. That song dates from World War I, so it should be in the public domain.

Good news about "One For My Baby" --- IMHO, one of the peak moments in a classic series.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Agreed! I am hoping the price point of Season 2 will make this a better seller than Season 1 was initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks