What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2 coming in July (CONSOLIDATED DISCUSSION) (1 Viewer)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to hear a review, although I'm a little miffed that there is not a play-all button. I had hoped that it would be added in for season 2, but I had a feeling they wouldn't do it since Fox hasn't done it for 24.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree about the menus - I like the fact that Fox's menus are static and silent. Having the theme tune behind a menu acts as a spoiler for me. The first time I want to hear the theme is when I fire up an episode.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
Got a shipping confirmation from DVD Pacific this morning - if the mail runs at its usual speed I could have season 2 in my hands by the end of this week!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Season-2 back-cover art disclosed (below). Note the "behind-the-scenes / Hat-In-Air" photo of Mary in upper-left corner.

One thing I noted that would be different from Season 1: The S.2 specs on the box show "1.0 Mono", as opposed to 2.0 Mono for S.1. Wonder if that's accurate though? Seems odd they'd switch to a 1-channel after doing it via a 2-ch. for the first season. But that's not a huge deal either way.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Great to have the second season at long, long, long last. My copy arrived yesterday and I watched the supplements last night.

There is an hour-long documentary (Ed Asner is credited as executive producer) produced a few years ago (copyright date is 2002) that focuses on the development of the major characters in the series, including characters such as Georgette and Sue Ann Nivens, who don't appear in the second season. Unlike the documentary that was included with the first season collection, this documentary doesn't focus on a particular season. While the documentary is entertaining (and somewhat repetitive for those who have seen the documentary included in the first season set), there is one major omission among the interviewees: MTM herself. All of the other surviving actors who had key roles in the series are interviewed, as are major behind the scenes players, such as James L. Brooks and Grant Tinker (MTM's husband at the time).

The other notable extra is a program from the 1970s produced by a Minneapolis television station about the filming of new scenes for the opening credit sequence that were shot three years after the series' debut. The video quality isn't great, but fans of the series will enjoy it (fun to discover that Brooks and Tinker, among others, make cameo appearances in the updated opening credits).

The other supplements are nothing special, such as a trivia contest and a strange pseudo news program that takes viewers back to locations in Minneapolis and environs where exteriors for the series were shot.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
It really seems curious to me that once again this release seems to be just thrown onto the shelves with no fanfare whatsoever. I picked MTM-2 up this morning at Tower in Long Beach and it was not displayed among the new releases as virtually ALL releases are each week. I found Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island and everything else that streets today but poor Mary was relegated to the Ms back in the regular stock.

In addition, this morning's LA Times lists all the significant releases of the week as it does each Tuesday. Remington Steele warrants a blurb but not a word about Mary. Once again, as I asked with season one, is Fox trying to keep this release a secret?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I agree Rob. On the usual "DVDetails" on "CNN Headline News" today -- not a word about MTM-2 -- but they mentioned Remington Steele and Gilligan-3.

Sad. And unfair to "Mare", IMO. :frowning:

Nice to see that MTM-2 is doing very well (to date) via Amazon sales, however.

Just got my MTM-2 today, in lightning-like speed from Amazon (why on Earth anyone uses anything BUT Amazon's FREE S&H option is a mystery to me -- because their free S&H is every bit as fast as 2-day delivery; at least for me in the midwest USA).

Note the lack of the proverbial "DVD" logo on the MTM-2 spine. Kinda odd. I think it oughta be there, too. But, oh well. (I notice the oddest, virtually-meaningless things sometimes. :))

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Fry's had one copy on the new release shelf. Now they have none.:)

I didn't look in the comedy section, there might have been more there.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
No place in my town had it, so I had a local place order it for me.

That's not real surprising given that the only major store in town that we have that sells DVDs is K-mart, no Wal-Mart until next june.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to check out the "Moore on Sunday" clip. "Moore on Sunday" was a Sunday morning news program, kind of in the same vein as "CBS Sunday Morning," on WCCO-TV here in Minneapolis-St. Paul. It was hosted by Dave Moore, who was a much-beloved news anchor here from the 1950s into the 1990s. (No relation to Mary Tyler Moore as far as I know though.)

(Dave Moore on right; looks like an early '70s photo)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this release for a few years and had lost hope.

Then we heard that the success of the Lost In Space split season format would be attempted on MTM season 2.

I picked this up at the store and after I got home I was delighted to discover I had the ENTIRE season in my hands! :)

THANK YOU FOX FOR FINALLY PUTTING THIS OUT. I hope to see the rest of the series one day. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Boy, was I counting down the days! I checked Sam's Club first, since on many occasions their prices are cheaper than BB's. Well, Sam's didn't have it, so I checked Target. Nope! Nada. Fortunately Walmart had it. The doc. was ok. Certainly not bad but ok. I did like listening to the season 1 and season 2 song versions side by side.

I'm watching some episodes now and love 'em! Thanks FOX for putting this out. Let's hope sales convinces them to continue the sets. I wonder if we will ever see "Rhoda" and "Lou Grant"? Oh, by the way, I think the PQ is great!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I took note of some interesting comments regarding MTM Show "edits" via another Internet website, and thought I'd share them here. (Maybe I hadn't oughta though; it'll probably give some people fits, like with the "White Christmas" S.1 edit; but,anyway....)

One person on another Forum posted this.......

"Has anyone else noticed that in the episode "Cover Boy" in Season 2 when Ted switches the mood music, it is the background music that is used in "Bess You Is My Daughter Now" from Season 1 when Mary and Bess have a day out?"

----------

This was followed by another poster's remarks.......

"I think it's Fox being cheap with the music licensing. Look for more of the same if they release future seasons. For example, on the most recent syndication run of MTM that is airing on TV Land Canada they changed the theme music on the game show that Ted tries out for to something that sounds like a clock ticking, kind of like Beat the Clock.

When Lou and Edie break up and later go on a date, they changed Lou singing in his office while getting ready for the date to some nonsense humming.

In the fantasy with Ted and Mary on their wedding night, originally Ted sings The Wedding Song while Mary's in the bathroom changing. The new version has someone trying to sound like Ted humming jibberish."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If I can verify those as true, I will have to return MTM season 2. Fortunately, Costco has a no questions asked return policy.

I'm very sad, though, to hear that they probably have sucumbed to music replacement. If true, I guess I'll probably never end up with any MTM on dvd. :frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
wonder if someone over at Fox is trying to sabotage this show?
Target has a few copies at full msrp.
Circuit City didn't have any (and apparently didn't plan to as there were no placards for it to be found anywhere).

its almost like they want this to fail to prove themselves right.

i'm not aware of the music replacement issue- and frankly if it hadn't been brought to my attention, i most likely never would have been. i had a big problem with a music change in a recent theatrical release (Love At First Bite), but i, personally, wouldn't feel a need to get worked up about it here. i perfectly understand the purist feeling the way they do, but the issue is much different for me when you a talking about a key piece of music in a 2 hours films set piece, and incidental music in a few episodes of a 20+ season sitcom.
in the case of a sitcom, there are still episodes that won't be affected and can still be enjoyed, whereas in a film, it cast a pall over the rest of the movie for me (or over the whole thing if you wait in dread for the scene to come up).

i haven't picked up season 2 yet. i want to, but i'm trying to hold off on the majority of my purchases for a certain e-tailers twice a year sales.
and i will be pretty busy with work the next few months anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks