What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2 coming in July (CONSOLIDATED DISCUSSION) (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Let's hope the writers of those songs don't ask for as much money as the Irving Berlin estate must've asked for "White Christmas".

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Well if that's true, then we can probably forget about Mary or Georgette singing either of the songs mentioned above in the last season set.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Fox just posted the official announcement of the set. Release date is July 26, price is only $29.98. The format is a three disc set with two single-sided discs and one double-sided disc. Here is the cover art.

And it looks like it will include all the special features that were produced for the second season lo these many years ago (I wouldn't expect future seasons to be as packed full of stuff). Here are the special features:

- Commentary for "The Birds... and um... Bees" with Treva Silverman (writer), Jay Sandrich (director) and Allan Burns (co-creator)
- Commentary for "The Six-and-a-Half-Year Itch" with Edward Asner, Treva Silverman, Jay Sandrich
- Commentary for "The Slaughter Affair" with Gavin Macleod and Peter Baldwin (director)

Bonus features on disc 3:

- Eight Characters in Search of a Sitcom (new, 40-minute documentary about season 2)
- Moore On Sunday
- 1971-72 Emmy Winners - Edward Asner: Outstanding Performance by and Actor In A Supporting Role; Valerie Harper: Outstanding Performance by An Actress In A Supporting Role
- Love Is All Around Karaoke: Season One Version; Season Two - Seven Version
- Newsbeat Segment DM-1509
- Photo Gallery
- Mad Magazine Parody: The Mary Tailor Made Show
- All-Star Trivia Challenge
- EASTER EGG: Fake Credits

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

For some reason reading the title of this thread the other day brought that issue of Mad to mind and I thought what a great extra those old parodies would be for movie and TV DVDs. And then thought, "Yeah - like that will ever happen." :D

Has any other DVD ever used the Mad take-off as an extra? I haven't looked at an issue in year. Have they done a version of House called "Louse" yet? ;)

Regards,

Joe

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

While I'm glad it's finally coming out, comparing the disc set-up with The Bob Newhart Show discs just released, I fear the picture quality on MTM S2 will be pretty bad, using only 4 sides for all the episodes and all the extras. TBNS uses 6 sides for only the episodes. That means if the extras take up side four, there will be TWICE as many episodes crammed onto the other 3 sides as TBNS has.

I would much rather have given up the extras, even if they were already produced, to have the higher picture quality of just the episodes spread over 6 sides. But at least they're coming out. I'll defintely buy them.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Well, the first season set had eight episodes per disc (with the fourth disc used for bonus features). This looks like it will have eight episodes each on the first two discs, and then the third disc is probably a DVD-18 with episodes on one side and features on the other side. Not really much of a change, anyway -- and the first season's episodes, with eight to a disc, looked great.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Oops, you're absolutely right. I was thinking it was six discs. Yeah! I feel better now. Thanks for setting me straight! :D

Claude North

Second Unit
I am very excited about this! Great to know that Fox is giving the show a second chance. And the MAD Magazine parody is an unexpected treat!

MattHR

Screenwriter
Season Two should look as good as Season One. I recall reading that the remastering for Seasons One and Two were done at the same time. I know the special features were assembled at the same time, which is why we're getting more features on season two. If the features hadn't already been produced, you can be sure there wouldn't be any on the Season Two set.

I hope Season Two sells well enough to warrant the rest of the series. However, I will bet that any further seasons will not receive the same remastering efforts as One and Two. They'll probably be released as "Bob Newhart" was just released: barebones, poor transfers (albeit uncut) and low priced.

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
Hi!

I just bought MTM S1 at Wally World for $15 on a whim and watched the first disc today. I grew up watching programs like this on "Nick at Night" (I'm 22), and I don't recall ever having seen this show before...

Needless to say, it's a wonderful program, and I'll definitely be pre-ordering season 2 tomorrow!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Jarrod: Welcome to the joy of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. :D You have a real treat ahead, as many people would agree that each season the show kept getting better and better. I personally feel the first season was the weakest; not bad, just not as great as the series became over the next six years. Enjoy!

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Jarrod, I agree with everything John just said! If you think season 1 is wonderful (and it is), you're gonna be in absolute heaven when you get to seasons 5-7.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
For those who haven't picked up season 1 yet, Fox just announced that its price has been reduced to $29.98, same as season 2 (though season 1 has often been offered for reduced prices already).

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Coconuts.com is showing MTM, Season 2 for just $16.99 (US) AFTER mail-in rebate for pre-orders. Might be good to wait a little and see if there are any coupons for free shipping and/or other discounts.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Bob, Thanks for the tip about Coconuts. As a first time purchaser I got a 10% discount, plus free shipping. With sales tax it came to $21.28 total, before the $5 rebate. Now I will just have to remember to send in the rebate form after I get my order.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks Pavan; that's a well written review. Looks like Fox did a great job with this set. The price certainly is quite attractive. Hopefully they'll be rewarded with good sales.

(Small nitpick: the review mentions this show is almost 25 years old. I believe the reviewer meant to write 35 years which makes the high quality of the video even more impressive.)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks