What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show Complete Series Set Coming (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
If you see retailers do a 30% discount off the MSRP of $178, then it's very likely it will be available for $125 in places. Now if the 3 seasons were released individually, they may run around $30 each, perhaps a couple dollars less. To get all 3 you would spend around $90. Thus, to get the complete series in one set, you will spend only $35 more ($125 minus $90) than you would have otherwise, and you can sell off the 4 duplicate seasons on ebay to recover that $35 difference. Heck , you could probably make a few extra $$ off the deal.

I don't think it's that bad of a deal at all, versus not getting any more seasons released.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am not to thrilled with a complete series set, having just bought the 4 seasons not to long ago. I knew I should have waited. The people who have been clamoring for more Mary Tyler Moore to be released, have been people who have allready bought the first 4 seasons in most cases. This is like a slap in the face in a way. I mean i commend fox for getting them out there. But there has to be a better way to go about doing this.

How about setting up a mail in rebate using proof of purchase tabs from season 1-4. This way it gives the consumer who owns S1-S4 a good incentive to go buy the complete set. Say you own 1 set get $10 off, 2 sets $20, 3 sets $30, 4 sets $50 off. something along those lines. I don't know.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Brilliant that the whole series will finally be available but it sucks that the only people who will buy it are those who bought the previous sets, you know, the very people who would've bought the remaining individual seasons in a heartbeat anyway!
Nice one Fox! *slap*
Gotta be thrilled that the whole thing will be available though. It's not the first time this has happened to me, Twin Peaks was another where I bought the complete gold set without blinking even though I had already bought the other releases anyway - how else was I gonna get both versions of the pilot episode?!
They certainly know what they are doing when they target very specific fans of particular shows. It's cynical and leaves a nasty taste but for the consumer the other option is to go without so what are you gonna do?! *rollseyes*

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Maybe it is a good idea to go ahead and sell season 1-4 on Ebay now. Before word gets around about this complete set. But, then watch I will go do that and then Fox will announce they are also releasing S5-S7 seperately.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Once again the Consumer that supported the Studio, bought the releases so that the entire series would see release...gets screwed, I cannot support this, how hard is it to offer the complete series as well as the seperate releases.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well, I certainly understand everyone's disappointment in jumping to a complete series instead of continuing with the rest of the seasons. However, I think this is a special case. MTM is a classic series that fans adore. Unfortunately, it's not done well on DVD and that's a reality. They could easily have called it quits instead of trying to keep eeking out sets for the few devoted fans who are buying them.

So in that case, I think a complete series set might be a good idea. All the episodes will be out this way. Buy them. Don't buy them. But at least you will have the choice to get them all instead of being limited to only the first few seasons.

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator

No, they aren't idiot enough to say that out loud. I'm not calling them idiot's or stupid - far from it with this move.

Fox Marketing and DVD department - Fall 2008.

Satan's Little Helper 1: 'Ok, guys, let's try and get the last 3 seasons of MTM out next year. I think the time is right to try and get these releases right this time and make some cash'.

Satan's Little Helper 2: 'Thought this might be on the cards, I've already knocked some figures together and I think we can put out a 'complete seasons 1-7 mega box set'.

Satan's Little Helper 1: 'Brilliant, the fans will love that. Oh, hang on - what about all the hardcore fans (pretty much the only people who bought the first 4 seasons), having to re-buy the first 4 seasons again in this set. Isn't this going to create a bit of bad feeling amongst them, and risk some of them not buying it?'

Satan's Little Helper 2: ????????????????????????

What is the response to this? This conversation must have happened.

You have to assume that it is down to it being uneconomically viable for them to release 5-7 as a separate SKU. Why? The discs are being pressed, they are being packaged in something (make sure it is something that can be taken out and still hold the discs safely - amaray, hello). What is the additional cost?

I understand not just releasing 5-7 as single units - at best you will get the same sales as the previous 4 seasons and more than likely worse. A Complete set attracts some new business (hopefully). I just don't understand where the extra costs will come in, in making a few sets of 5-7 available separately, and I can't think for any other reason for them not doing it.

Someone enlighten me.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Exactly. I would be happy to buy a 3 season set of seasons 5-7 if it came to that. But buying the whole series when I already have 1-4? In these tough times, NOT economically viable for me. Plus how would it hurt the sales of the whole series if they also had a 3 season set for those who already have season 1-4 and only want 5-7?

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Of course if they miraculously include the uncut episodes (from the first 4 seasons) in the mega box then there would be a reason for hardcore fans to purchase without hesitation.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that individual season sets for the last 3 seasons will eventually be released. In addition I am sure there will be deals like the recent Amazon Gold deal Complete Everybody Loves Raymond for $65. The problem is fans want it the day it is released cheaply. If you don't want to spend a lot of money for something you already have in a tough economy just wait. The price will go down and the economy will get better.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite series and I DO want the whole thing...if this marketing option had been available a year or so ago---when the economy wasn't in the toilet---I probably wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. But now...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I never really got into MTM until recently when I started watching reruns. Now I can't get enough of it. Fortunately, I never bought any of the other season sets so the series box will be a definitely purchase. I have to agree though that I think it's a complete crock to those who have already invested money in 4 seasons only to have to re-buy them in order to obtain the remaining 3. That's just not right. Hell, I'm still pissed that the only way to own the "Very Brady Christmas" movie is to buy the complete series set of "The Brady Bunch". But that's a different rant altogether. lol

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My opinion on this...

If you don't buy the complete box set the day it comes out, you've lost nothing. You were probably never going to see those three seasons anyway.

If you wait, there are possibilities... such as Fox releasing the three seasons separately over time, selling off your old sets and buying the complete box at a deeply discounted price, or not buying the box at all.

But at least, this way, the currently unreleased seasons are out there to purchase if you choose to. Right now, nearly half the series is unreleased, and without this box set, probably has no chance of seeing the light of day.

It isn't the best of options, but at least the series will be released in full in some way.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I cannot believe what I'm hearing. Fox is bending over backwards to get the entire series out, and all I have heard is complaints? We should be dancing in the streets.

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants."

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I can't even think of an analogy to this. I remember years back, when supermarkets would sell encyclopedias, one volume a week. It would have been outrageous, half way through, to stop that system and then sell the whole set, so to finish it you had to buy the first half all over again.

Yes, I said outrageous. And so is this -- seeing to it that people have to rebuy 4/7 of the series in order to get all of it.

It's outrageous, and unfair, and greedy, and we really shouldn't put up with it. We can just pretend they never released Seasons 5 through 7.

But, see, they think they've got us where they want us! They think the fans will go ahead and rebuy Seasons 1 through 4, because they have to in order to get Seasons 5 through 7.

And many people will go right ahead and fall into their greedy scheme, and that's how they get away with it!

That conversation that was started above -- it probably went more like this:

Satan's Little Helper 1: This will be great, because the fans will have to rebuy the first four seasons, and we'll make all that extra money off of them!

Satan's Little Helper 2: Yes, this will be great! (Evil laughter.)

SLH1: But, wait, what if some fans rebel?

SLH2: $%#@ 'em! Just $%#@ 'em! I figure we can make more money this way, than the other way, and that's all that matters to me!

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm very happy the entire series is being released--I'll go ahead and sell my season sets. If many fans find the price of a complete series daunting, why not start saving now so that you might be able to afford when it's released in May?
Might I also suggest to Fox that they do the same with The Bob Newhart Show?

BrianP

Supporting Actor

It is a legitimate complaint for fans who purchased the first 4 seasons and do not want to double dip. If Fox wants to maximize sales they should find a way to accommodate those of us who only want the last three seasons to complete the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks