What's new

Mary Tyler Moore S2 Likely In 2005 (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Terrific news for MTM fans! Hopefully, the split season approach will generate enough interest to warrant the release of seasons 3 through 7.

Now, let's hope that MTM fans will support the season 2 releases if they become a reality.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
What if S2 volumes one and two don't sell well? That would be the final nail to the coffin.

I'm not too keen on the idea of splitting a season, but, hey, if that's what it takes... I guess I'll begrudgingly buy a copy.

Emphasis on begrudgingly.

John KB

Second Unit
This new trend is #$@*ing stupid?!!!!!!

It takes long enough to get all the seasons of a friggin' show, if this catches on it will take even longer!!!

Imagine if they did that with the simpsons.....25 years later....

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

This would never happen with the Simpsons, it sells well enough as a single release that they wouldn't see the need to split it up.

Secondly, there is 11 weeks between Lost in Space season 2 part 1, and season 2 part 2, so its not like you'll be waiting a year between MTM s2 pt 1 and MTM s2 PT 2.

I don't think this is going to be a trend. They're trying to use this structure to boost sales of shows where sales are lacking, I doubt seriously you'll start seeing M*A*S*H season 8 part 1 or the such.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Well it is nice to see that hopefully MTM will be back on track at some point in the next year. If Fox gets back into the business of putting out some true classic shows then maybe there is still hope for other shows they're in control of.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a FANTASTIC trend. I can only hope that MALCOM IN THE MIDDLE and LARRY SANDERS continue this wonderful new trend.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm not a fan of MTM, but I'm happy for teh fans of this show that they might be getting at least season 2 released in 2005. Maybe this spilt set trend can get lesser known shows and some cult shows released. I would love to see SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND released as one set, but if split sets would get it released I would be all for it.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
If the season is to be split into two sets of two discs each, I don't see that there should be a problem with putting six episodes on each disc and dividing up the existing extras between the four disks.

Could the collector's mentality cause a problem though? Will you buy season 2 part 1, or wait for part 2 to be released just incase they then release both parts together in a single slipcase which matches the Season 1 set?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Randy, for the article (and the good news (we hope :)) re. TMTMS).

While I'm not overly enthralled about the "split season" approach, I'll have to agree with most others here by saying that if that's what it takes to get Mary rolling onto DVD for Season 2, then it's OK by me.

How about this for a marketing campaign to promote TMTMS --- FOX could offer some kind of rebate when consumers purchase either Part 1 or Part 2 of Season 2 and the Season 1 set. (Maybe $10 back by mail or something akin to that -- similar in nature to the Dick Van Dyke Show DVD rebate offered last year when people bought both the S.1 and S.2 boxed sets; that rebate saved me 20 clams; not bad at all.)

If FOX did something like that, it could go a long way to selling additional Season 1 sets (recouping some losses), while also boosting S.2 sales. Plus, it'd be a good way, of course, to tie in S.1 with S.2 of the series.

Upon looking up some "Lost In Space" prices at Deep Discount and at Amazon, I find it odd that DDD is actually selling the 2 LOS sets for about $1 more than the first-season set. Same # of discs (8 for each full season all total). Amazon's deal is better: $5 less for the split 2nd campaign vs. S.1.

But isn't it better to put up with a "split" season of a show you want on DVD (and any associated minor delay such a split-season produces), than to not get any episodes at all, ever?

I, like others in this thread, commend FOX Entertainment for keeping MTM on the table, and searching for alternative ways to make S.2 of this great TV series profitable, instead of just chucking the rest of the series into the trash bin.

Way to go, FOX! :)

The "Season Two Coming Soon" blurb is still present on the following FOX webpage (as it has been since 2002). It's worth clicking on once in a while, just to hear the MTM theme song if for no other reason. :) ..........

http://www.foxhome.com/mtm/

I also hope we see this picture on the cover of one of those S.2 boxed sets, don't you? :) ............

The trademark opening MTM "scroll" would be nice for the other boxed set of S.2, IMO. (But, hey, I'll
grab whatever I can get. :)) ........

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I am fine with the split season approach as long as the combined cost is the same as a complete season set would be (which seems to be the plan) and if the two sets are packaged in such a way so that they don't take up more space than one complete set would.

I'll buy M2M for sure.

Supporting Actor
If I ever see M*A*S*H Season 8 Part 1... I'll castrate myself...

(I'm kidding.... you know... haha? nevermind)

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
I watched MTM on Nick at Nite, maybe 14 years ago, and I liked the show. It was in my Netflix queue back when it first came out, then I heard that it sold terrible and it was done. So I took it out. The most upsetting part about this whole MTM thing, for me, is WKRP. I think it'd sell better than MTM, but it's in limbo. Fox on DVD is questionable at best--I'd hate to like NYPD Blue or example.

Still, as soon as MTM S2 is announced, back in the queue it'll go...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

It might sell better than MTM and still be less profitable, because the thing holding up WKRP is music clearance rights and fees. So it would not be hard to imagine, if they could clear enough of the music to justify a release, that WKRP could out sell MTM and yet be less profitable.

Supporting Actor
BRING ON MARY TYLER MOORE... I'm working on getting the rest of the Dick Van Dyke Show (Carl Reiner is great at that) on DVD. It just wouldn't be right to not own both Mary Tyler Moore shows.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
GREAT NEWS! THANK YOU, FOX!

The "Split Seasons" approach makes perfect sense to me, and it does indeed make "impulse buying" a greater probability. It's the only way to go for older shows that would obviously be lacking in the sales department these days.

At my BEST BUY, the new LOST IN SPACE SEASON 2, VOL. 1 was flying off the "new release" shelves. I went there on release date and there were 30. Two days later, down to 8. Not bad for an old show that's not STAR TREK, and it's obvious that these had to be "impulse purchases" to some degree.

Supporting Actor
Maybe if they did that with All in the Family Season 4 it would sell better... I cringe at the thought though.

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
Well this is good news! But here is a better idea. Release Season 2 in its entirety for 25$ And it will sell big and with a hefty profit because more will sell! What an great insentive to get a complete (and uncut) set for less! Now there is an impulse buy for much more people!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If it wasn't for MASH I might say most of the DVD consumers buying DVDs today were too young to enjoy Mary, so who knows why it didn't sell. Perhaps it was the edited issue.
I just dont get why people wouldnt be grabbing MTM off the shelves.
Hopefully we will get the documentaries as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks