What's new

Mary Tyler Moore S2 Likely In 2005 (1 Viewer)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Good news, but I'm a little confused -- does this mean they're actually considering splitting up MTM season 2 into two separate releases? Given that a whole season would fit on three discs, I don't see that as likely or necessary, but I'm not sure from the article.

I'm not the biggest M*A*S*H fan, but I have to say that its continued popularity is extraordinarily impressive -- I can't think of any other "classic" show that has the continued strength to sell as well as it has (outselling many, many current shows).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Jaime, I was under the impression that they would consider at least releasing it in 2 parts, from the tone of the article anyway. Randy could probably clear that up, but it sounded to me like it was at least under consideration.

Wow, M*A*S*H season 1 is really hammering those other listed releases, but I can't say that surprises me all that much.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Woot!

That is the best news I've heard all day. :) :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :p)

Re: splitting MTM S2 into 2 parts, from the above article:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thank God! I couldn't take not having my favourite show completely on DVD. I would definately buy this anyway it were to be released, and can't wait. I hope they opt to include the bonus material, because it sounds very comprehensive. But first and formost, I want the show.

Andy

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Ah. Okay, I missed that -- all that Englsh lit education and I still suck at reading. :)

While I thought the splitting method made sense for Lost in Space because of the length of the season and the episodes, I still think it makes little sense for a half-hour show with only 24 episodes in a season. But hey, if that's what convinces them that it's safe to bring it out, then great.

With 12 episodes in each release, I guess they have the option of doing either a 2-disc set or a single disc with two sides (Fox is increasingly using the two-sided arrangement for shows like Reba and The Simple Life).

Now if only there were some equally simple and inexpensive solution to the WKRP in Cincinnati problem... :frowning:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Yes, M*A*S*H would appear to be the No. 1 classic TV show on DVD, according to these stats (something I hinted at in another thread last week). Those stats were compiled for the Star Tribune by Video Store Magazine, so it's certainly understandable if someone were to question their accuracy, coming from an outside source. I asked Peter to confirm them, even though Fox won't give out such figures itself. Funnily enough, he said the ones for M*A*S*H are "a little low, but in the ballpark." The ones for MTM, he said, were right. I have no reason to question any of the others.

It would be well to keep such sales figures in mind in many of the threads in this forum.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Agreed. My point was more that for a half-hour, normal-sized season there are ways to bring down the price without splitting, which don't apply to an hourlong show with long seasons, like Lost in Space. But of course just releasing a bare-bones 3-disc set of MTM Season 2 might not be enough to compensate for the money lost on season 1 and the money spent on the season 2 extras, so I can definitely see why they might have decided that the split-season method might work better (or at least lead more people to try the series).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
First of all, Thank God that the logic behind not releasing the rest of MTM wasn't applied to the Dick Van Dyke Show, or we'd never have the great set that we have. And while Mary might have had some nice extras, I find it hard to believe that it cost more than the extensive Dick Van Dyke sets. So my first question is that if Dick Van Dyke can make a profit with lesser sales and (presumably) as large or larger costs, then why the pessimism about MTM? I mean it's not like they even paid the royalties to get the shows uncut (i.e., the Christmas episode).

Having said that, as long as season 2 is uncensored, I'll buy it whether it's one or two packages. And if season 1 had been uncut, the sales figures for MTM would have been 85,001 with my purchase. :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

I didn't say this before, but I'm glad to hear that Fox is still trying with this show. Earlier this year, I took a lot of flack for still holding a positive attitude that something might yet still happen with the series, and it looks like my optimism will be rewarded.

I'll buy it in 2 parts, absolutely, and I hope its the 2 disc sets and not flippers.

I think one thing to consider with the Dick Van Dyke Show, and George's question is that the Dick Van Dyke show has only been out since October, and only Green Acres on that list has been out for a lesser amount of time of course with a much lower list price. So in my mind Dick Van Dyke isn't doing badly at all on DVD. Of course, I can't say confidently that image would agree with me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I still don't understand how they can sell two sets for the same price as one larger set and still make money. Additional manufacturing, additional packaging, additional shipping.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

One thing to keep in mind with the Dick Van Dyke sets is that Image was contractually committed to doing the entire series on DVD before Season 1 was even released. Regardless, Image has been quite happy with its sales. Independent companies expect less--and price accordingly.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Especially if a season fits on three discs.

Splitting the season means putting out four discs total.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I think this is the reasoning behind it. Selling 1 4 disc set for $50 might not result in a lot of impulse purchases. However, selling one 2 disc set for $25 will be more attractive to those people who might buy something on an impulse. Then in 3 or 4 months you roll out the second part, and you'll have all those people that bought season 1 and part 2 of season 2 buying the set, and possibly some of those who only bought part 1 of season 2 on an impulse will now stick with the series.

The money they think they'll make from those extra sales from making the price more attractive, is I guess what they think will off set the extra packaging and manufacturing costs.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

This article largely addresses Season 2. As was noted, there are many, many extras that were produced for the second-season set. So it would essentially be equal in material to the first set--three discs' worth of episodes and a disc's worth of extras. That's four discs total--if it takes that form.

Future seasons will be another matter. But there's nothing keeping from Fox from, say, releasing a two-disc Volume 1 and a single-disc Volume 2 of a season. That might not happen, and I'm not saying it will. It's just as likely that Fox puts six episodes on a disc, and does two 2-disc sets that way, chucking all the extras. It's all conjecture.

Again, the main point is that Fox seems intent on restarting MTM on DVD in 2005 in some fashion. Peter Staddon was kind enough to confirm as much while at the same time "thinking aloud" for the record on how that might happen. That's really rare for a studio.

My reason for writing the article was that it was the two-year anniversary of the S1 release and that I continually get inquiries from readers about it. Obviously, being in Minneapolis, where the show was set, there's a big following for it here. We even have a statue of Mary tossing her tam at the same downtown spot where she did it in the series' opening credits. I had planned simply to say that Fox refused to comment after many calls to the studio went unreturned. All of the original comments from Danny Gold and Matthew Asner addressed that aspect. But Staddon came through at the last minute, and I rewrote the story, including getting new comments from Gold and Asner.

Incidentally, the article and chart have been picked up by Scripps Howard News Service, so they might appear in a newspaper near you.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
85,000 sets sold?

At 50 bucks each, that should have meant a gross of about $4,250,000. How could the costs of season 1 been so great? Is there something else involved?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And remember, it's possible that a lot of people were put off when they heard one of the episodes was edited.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

You're assuming all 50 bucks went to Fox. Far from it by the same the retailer, distributor, etc. get their cuts. Also, many sets were sold for less than $50. I saw some in Sam's for under $30.

Anyway, I'll go on record as stating I support split seasons if that what it takes to get S2 released.

I may strongly disagree with Fox on other issues, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. They are going out of their way to make this work, and I thank them for it.

Steve

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
MTM season 1 is selling for about $16 at Wal-Mart around here...that ought to boost the sales! M*A*S*H S1 costs a little less. I wonder what they're doing with these prices (not that I'm complaining): trying to move "old" stock, or trying to figure out the ol' pricing structure vs sales number thing. If it's the latter, wish HBO would give it a try...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks