What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I wish they'd use the original artwork of the two floating heads. I see they're using the original logo of the marquee light bulbs. This is when the movies were exciting and spawned imagination.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
KPmusmag said:
Call me obsessive, but I actually scanned my View Master of MP. Not 3-D, obviously, but fun to look at anyway.

attachicon.gif
PoppinsViewMaster2.jpg
Kevin, That is great!! Thanks for scanning it. That has always been my favorite frame in the View Master reels.
Your 1965 Christmas photo is perfect! Wonderful quality and very touching. Thanks for sharing it.
Reading all of your thoughts on the CD release, I couldn't agree more. I spoke with the gentleman at the time who was putting that project together and expressed disappointment that music we wanted on CD, would not be included. The full Overture, the remainder of Let's Go Fly a Kite, the Marni Nixon recordings, etc, would have been much more appropriate and enjoyed. The story meetings are not something one would listen to over and over again. The extra music from the album's Overture was so beautiful. Irwin Kostal's work took that score to incredible heights. Just gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing all the memories, everyone!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Gary Seven said:
This is the album I had as a kid...

attachicon.gif
2617778.jpg

Look forward to the Blu Ray
I remember we had that in our house in the seventies, loved it, don't recall what happened to it but i wish i had it still.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I don't think anybody has mentioned these yet... Here are my Mary Poppins and Bert dolls released by Mattel a few years ago. There was also a Jane & Michael set too but I never bought them...

Picture 005.jpg

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Those dolls are great, Byron. The Dick Van Dyke one is a great likeness!

In the spirit of Kevin's 1965 Christmas photo, here I am Christmas morning 1967, sitting next to my new Mary Poppins Talking Telephone. They were made by Hasbro and I remember when you would listen you'd hear Mary Poppins' voice say things like, "A Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" and "Spit Spot!" :)

talkingtelephonechris.jpg

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Still more Nostalgia.
The Original Cinema Souvenir Program purchased during it's premier run.

front cover
mpbook1.jpg

back cover
mpbook2.jpg

an inside page
mpbook4.jpg

another inside page
mpbook3.jpg

- A bit of trivia for those who know or care-
That's dancer Bert May far left on the back cover.
He was a leading ensemble dancer in some of Hollywood's biggest ever Musicals.

Doug.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I also wore out the original soundtrack album, which was a very early birthday present. It was the mono version of the initial soundtrack release---back in the day when new albums were released in mono and stereo (mono albums were cheaper, and my parents assumed that a three year old wouldn't appreciate the difference between mono and stereo, but I digress).

I have also owned multiple versions of the video tape, laser disc and DVD releases---including the initial Beta release and subsequent Beta HiFi release---but have long since parted with most of them. One item that I have retained is an autograph of Julie Andrews---I met her in February 1983, when she came to Harvard to accept the Hasty Pudding woman of the year award. She was everything that you would expect her to be---charming, witty and gracious, even when surrounded by dozens of raucous cross dressing undergraduates (cross dressing is a Hasty Pudding tradition, so the release of "Victor/Victoria" the previous year made Andrews the obvious choice for the award).

Thanks to all for sharing your memories. As a long time reader of this forum, I have never seen a thread quite like this!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Here are a few pics of the MP souvenir book my parents saved from 1965. It is a bit different from Doug's. It is odd, because it is a perfect 11 inch by 11 inch square. It sticks out on my bookshelf. For years, my parents kept it in the LP jacket, which probably accounts for the good shape it is in today.

WP_20130803_001.jpg

WP_20130803_002.jpg

WP_20130803_003.jpg

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
jimmyjet said:
are richard and robert sherman twins ?
Most DEFINITELY not. (Rent "The Boys" to get the joke.)
Everyone just dressed alike in the mid-60's.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Here are some more vintage merchandise pics I have found on the 'Net...

Paper dolls:
Z0061924.jpg

Mary_Poppins_paper.jpg

Golden Book:
mary_poppins_501.jpg

Sticker Fun book:
Z0067214.jpg

And the French-language soundtrack album!:
vintage_mary_poppins_france_900.jpg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Although I am not the panicky type, there are instances when things can be fixed or changed at the last minute due to letters, emails, and yes, the internet. Films like the Hitchcock Blu-ray set, the Universal monsters set (DRACULA, in particular), The aspect ratio for SHANE have had improvements and changes made prior to release due to fan’s comments. I know most of these came about because of certain sequences from the restored versions showing up on YouTube beforehand, but at least some attempt was made to fix certain things. My main worry is the MARY POPPINS soundtrack. I think the last version was good, but the previous version had that ghastly DISNEY HOME THEATER sound or some moniker like that and the reverb added was just horrible. It sounded like they rerecorded it in a large master bathroom. Of course, most problems we just can’t predict until we see the final results. There are infinite possibilities of doing something wrong. I am sure MARY POPPINS will be a challenge to the Blu-ray authoring and cleanup as there are so many analog effect shots of almost every type in this great classic. But I have high hopes and expectations. Oh, and one more thing, was the Intermission in Mary Poppins for only foreign versions or did it play in the USA with an Intermission?
It had an intermission when I saw it at Grauman's right after it opened. The intermission was right after "I Love To Laugh" I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.