What's new

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Robert Smith
Brilliant is actually issuing free of charge comics involving Guardians with the Galaxy. Four comics are offered right now depending on Drax. Erika Rooker and Lee Rate brings together the cast.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Djimon Hounsou has joined the cast as Korath the Pursuer. I'm not very familiar with that character, but I know he's a cosmic dude and he has also been an adversary to the Avengers..
image.jpg
Lee Pace has been confirmed as playing Ronan the Accuser.I am familiar with Ronan and he's one bad-ass powerful dude. He's been both an enemy and an ally of the Guardians.
image.jpg
Benicio Del Toro has been confirmed to be playing The Collector
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
New concept art
image.jpg
I love how the shadows of the characters reflect their attributes. That's really cool.
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ejanss said:
I can never seem to get a straight answer about whether Thanos IS in the movie, because it was the only other canon he appeared in that they could use to get him into Avengers 2 (Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer were still owned by Fox), or whether he isn't, which pretty much makes the picture live or die on the heroes we've never heard of.
It's was confirmed at comic con that Thanos will definitely be featured in Guardians of the Galaxy. One of the cast let it slip and then Kevin Feige (and later James Gunn) confirmed it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Even though they have only been filming for a couple of weeks, they actually showed footage at comic con. Here is a description:
Keep in mind they're shooting in London and just flew in that day from London (an easy 14 hour flight) and will be flying back tonight to go back to work. Pretty awesome of them. And the panel was really fun, but let's go over that footage before we jump into that stuff, shall we?Footage started with a dusky shot of a man entering a ship of some kind. The whole thing is very dark. The silhouette slowly walks around a few halls until he's in a room with a silver orb floating atop a pedestal. He reaches for it and takes it without a problem. When he turns around we see it's Chris Pratt and we're not the only ones to see him. A group of angry looking men with big scary looking guns rush in (led by Hounsou) who screams at him to drop the orb.”Yeah, cool man. No problem! No problem at all!” Djimon: “Who are you?” Music swells and Pratt says: “Star-Lord.” “Who?” In an “aw, come on!” tone, Pratt says “Star-Lord, man. The legendary outlaw?”Needless to say, he's arrested. John C. Reilly is like a space cop who is looking over his prisoners, which is the skeleton the footage hangs on. It's their way of introducing these guys to us. There's a deputy of some kind in the room with him and he's talking to him throughout. “We arrested these five on Zandar. Check out the rap sheets. Drax aka The Destroyer. He's killed scores of Ronan's lieutenants in his search for vengeance...” We see Drax standing, cuffed, in some kind of line-up room/observational thing... except super sci-fi'd with electric windows and all that jazz.”Gamora, Thanos' adopted daughter... her own personal death machine.” and we see a green-skinned Zoe Saldana standing like she doesn't give a fuck.Then it cuts to a little furry guy standing on a box in the observation room and the audience went apeshit. I couldn't hear what John C. Reilly was saying, but he did say “Rocket Raccoon” and “over 50 charges of vehicular theft and escape from lockup.” Rocket looks annoyed and kind of exhales loudly, almost a sneeze.Then it cuts to a tall figure standing in the observation room. So tall in fact that we don't see his head. Looks like someone just planted a tree in the room... until it moves, ducking down to look through the window so we see his face. “Groot.” Reilly described him as “houseplant/muscle.”Now it's back to Pratt. “Peter Jason Quill. He's also known as Star-Lord.” Deputy, “Who calls him that?” “Himself, mostly. He's wanted for minor theft, avoiding prosecution, fraud...” As Reilly is reading off the charges, Pratt is doing that turn-the-crank-jack-in-the-box middle finger thing, then acting all innocent. “I'm sorry! I didn't know how this machine worked!” The way Pratt sold that moment killed the audience. So funny.The rest of the footage was more montage style, beginning with Pratt being led through alien jail. He sees a big blue brute guy (mostly make-up and practically executed) picks up a pair of headphones. Blue Swede's Hooked On A Feelin' can be heard coming from them. “Hey, hey, hey! That's mine!” The alien prisoner defiantly puts them on his head. Quill breaks free, hands still cuffed, and chases after him. “Come here, you big blue bastard! Take that off your head right now!” And he tackles the big guy.Hooked On A Feelin' plays throughout the rest, giving a driving, light and fun beat through the rest of the footage. There's a knife going to a sleeping Gamora's throat, her eyes snapping open, Drax punching some poor thing into oblivion and, my favorite, a grimacing Rocket Raccoon double fisting uzis and spraying lead in arcs around him. Bunch of action beats and then back to John C. Reilly.”They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy.” His deputy: “What a bunch of assholes.”
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63357?utm_source=full-feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=coolnews&utm_campaign=1307_RSS
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
And as you can see from the above, Karen Gillan has shaved her head for the role of Nebula. She surprised the audience by wiping off her wig and throwing to them.
image.jpg

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
”They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy.” His deputy: “What a bunch of assholes.”

Yyyyyeah. And to think I was worried that the Scooby-Doo guy was directing this. :rolleyes:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, he wrote Scooby-Doo, but he didn't direct those movies. The only recent movies for which he has been writer and director were Super and Slither. I think those are the examples you look at to get a sense of his sensibilities, not a movie he only wrote. He also wrote Dawn of the Dead (2004), kinda different from Scooby, no?Plus, for better or worse, this is a Marvel Studios film. Marvel maintains a significant amount of input and control over all of these movies. The directors are not free to go off and just do whatever they want unchecked. There's rumors (just rumors, mind you) that there is some friction between Marvel and Alan Taylor over the running time of The Dark World. This is going to be a fun movie. It is not going to be an outright comedy, but it will be a quirky, fun space adventure. That's what Marvel wants. Gunn has mentioned that films like Ghostbusters and Galaxy Quest serve as some inspiration for the tone he's going for. And those are two great movies. And considering the source material, which I'm now familiar with unlike when I started this thread, the movie should be a quirky, fun adventure. And you can certainly mix serious and threatening stuff (Thanos) in with a movie when the overall tone is fun. I haven't seen the footage, just read the descriptions. But it sounds about right in tone to me. I thought the bit with using Hooked on a Feeling sounded great. It reminded me of the way Gunn used Every Woman in the World in Slither. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is being directed by two directors most known for television comedies, and everything on that is looking really good.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The preview teaser they put together for the Comic Con audience after just 2-3 weeks of filming has leaked online, at least a part of it has.This is only a part of the teaser, but those curious about what this movie might be like may get a sense of it by checking this out:http://whatculture.com/film/guardians-of-the-galaxy-comic-con-footage-leaked.phpEDIT: Looks like the footage has been removed. Here are some stills from the footage:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpg
From Empire Magazine:
"The general answer is yes," Kevin Feige said when asked whether Guardians of the Galaxy takes place at the same time as Marvel's other "Phase Two" movies, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. "It's not exactly revealed what year or month it is in relation to the other Phase Two films. But yes, it's the same time."So, while it may take place at the same time, just how connected will it be to the aforementioned films? "Certainly more than the others. We've already said that Thanos plays a part in it and is a character in it. That in and of itself should tell you it's connected to the other worlds." Talking of Thanos, many fans expected the Mad Titan to be the main villain in the sequel to The Avengers, but it was recently confirmed that it will be Ultron who fills that role. So, will he be the main foe in Guardians of the Galaxy? Not quite! "Ronan The Accuser is very much the main bad guy. And Thanos is lurking above it all. You will learn more about Thanos in Guardians, for sure. Certainly you'll get more than the one turn around and smirk. You'll get much more than that!"

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
More from Kevin Feige from Empire:
"They are an unlikely band. It's pure circumstance that brings them all together throughout the course of the movie. Rocket has been genetically and mechanically altered, he's an experiment from one part of the galaxy. Groot is a species that happens to look like trees look, and is quite communicative if you can understand the different inflections in the way he says, "I am Groot." Peter Quill left Earth in the mid'80s, but when we meet back up with him he's very much a citizen of the universe. Drax has one goal and one goal only, which is to kill Ronan because of a past tragedy. When we meet Gamora, she's a bad guy working with Ronan and Nebula and Korath, and by extension for Thanos. Gamora doesn't necessarily like doing that anymore, and tries to find a new path for herself. But she has a reputation as the deadliest woman in the galaxy that people aren't greeting her with open arms."
Interesting. In the comics, Drax's sole purpose for existing is to kill Thanos. It's why he was created. Feige here is saying his one goal is to kill Ronan. I'm wondering if through the course of the story Drax will learn that it was really Thanos and not Ronan that is responsible for his past tragedy. Peter Quill leaving Earth in the 80's makes sense with him having the old Sony Walkman with his "Awesome Mix: Volume one" tape that plays "Hooked on a Feeling" and I'm sure some other gems. But for a guy who looks to be in his mid-late 20's it doesn't seem like he would have been born yet. I wonder if he'll just be "well preserved" due to advanced alien tech, or if they'll say there was some sort of time-dilation effect with all the space travel?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
First look at Michael Rooker on set as Yondu
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I wonder if they'll add the red Mohawk in post?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nice interview with Chris Pratthttp://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/chris-pratt-talks-guardians-of-the-galaxys-tone-and-potential-marvel-crossovers
Yeah, I think tone is the major thing we have to accomplish, a consistent tone, going from silly and comedic to high-stakes drama and action, and everything in between. It’s really up to James, and I trust everything that he’s doing. I think we’re getting good stuff. I don’t know what to say about it other than it might be…Oh! It’s the greatest movie of the 21st century! That’s what I’ll say. It’ll be the Citizen Kane of movies other than Citizen Kane.
:)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ The highlight of the interview is this exchange between Pratt and his co-star:
Plaza: Do you get to have sex with an alien?
Pratt: Yes.
Plaza: What!?
Pratt: A couple.
Plaza: Cool.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing that this movie has a more comedic tone than most Marvel movies. I'm not sure what this says about me but I'll check out anything where a human dude is banging an alien chick. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"I don’t know what to say about it other than it might be…Oh! It’s the greatest movie of the 21st century! That’s what I’ll say. It’ll be the Citizen Kane of movies other than Citizen Kane."

I love Chris Pratt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks