What's new

Marvel's Ant-Man: July 17, 2015 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn't think his movies where stupid. Pretty funny actually.

Adam Lenhardt, on 07 Jan 2015 - 6:03 PM, said:
Adam Lenhardt said:
What worries me is the screenplay credit: the only people credited are Adam McKay, whose prior screenwriting resume consists entirely of stupid comedies and who was brought in mere weeks before production started, and franchise star Paul Rudd. It just reeks of a script written on the fly, with each day's pages written the night before. I hope I'm wrong.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Rudd talked about the script to Entertainment Weekly

“It somewhat happened organically. When Edgar left, they were talking about directors and I knew Adam and Adam’s brilliant. So he came in to meet with them. He and I had some ideas and so we spent some time rewriting it and wound up doing a rewrite on the whole thing. All of a sudden, this took on a whole new life and was much more intensive that I had maybe anticipated. I’ve actually found myself in these kinds of situations before—maybe not quite on this level, but not far off—where all of a sudden you’re writing scenes and taking on writing responsibilities. And that’s okay. But it’s a little strange writing something that’s really, truly out of my comfort zone. I wouldn’t know how to begin to write [something like this], but sometimes you just hit the ground running, I guess. Thankfully Adam was there.”

“It’s their story," Rudd acknowledged Edgar and Cornish's previous contributions to the script. "We changed some scenes, we added new sequences, we changed some characters, we added new characters. If you took the two scripts and held them up together they’d be very different—but the idea is all theirs.”
I thought this concept art was pretty cool:

image.jpg

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hmmmm...looks to me like an unimaginative Iron Man remake...but, with Paul Rudd!

I'm not holding out hope.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Quentin said:
Hmmmm...looks to me like an unimaginative Iron Man remake...but, with Paul Rudd!

I'm not holding out hope.
Looks nothing like Iron Man even a little bit.

Saw the latest preview before Ultron today and it looks great.

Plenty of funny and good action. The fight with YellowJacket looked terrific.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I saw the trailer with the Avengers today and it looked really good. I really liked all of the parts where he shrinks and the Yellowjacket fight. The train scene got a good laugh from people in the audience, myself included.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 3D in the trailer I saw looked like some of the best I've seen for a Marvel movie. Looking forward to seeing it that way, hopefully the look of the movie is as good as what was in the trailer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have no idea what they are, but word is there are two scenes (mid-credits, post-credits) after the movie and they are said to be great. The movie has positive word of mouth from those who saw a preview.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sam Favate said:
I have no idea what they are, but word is there are two scenes (mid-credits, post-credits) after the movie and they are said to be great. The movie has positive word of mouth from those who saw a preview.

My guess is a Tie in to Capt. America - Civil War

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
James Gunn had some great things to say about Ant-Man

"Ant-Man may just be my favorite Marvel film since Jon Favreau's Iron Man (well, maybe excluding one film to which I'm partial). Honestly, the movie is a complete blast! I was so happy after seeing it. It's never boring for a second and it's hilarious and warm throughout. It doesn't get caught up in the webbing of its own science-fiction concept like so many movies do these days, remaining simple and elegant. It's a part of the Marvel universe without being ruled by that fact. Paul Rudd is nuanced and charming and funny and is a surprisingly natural fit as a modern superhero (side-fact - Paul must be a nice guy, because he and I dated the same girl in college, and yet I still love him).

"Michael Peña KILLS IT - this movie is going to make him a huge star. My old pal Judy Greer (she was Deadly Girl to my Minute Man in The Specials (film) many moons ago) is great in a small role. And Michael Douglas is awesome. I think all of Peyton Reed's years directing have led him to making something as deft and nimble and joyous as this; he did an incredible job. And, despite Edgar Wright's parting from Marvel, his spirit is felt through the entire project, and there is no doubt everyone owes him a huge debt of gratitude. I left the theater incredibly happy. So often I see movies by people I love which are just okay - it's great to love a movie as much as I love the people who made it."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Gunn has said in the past that his favorites were Iron Man, The Avengers, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Nice to see him put this up there near the top of his list.

I was just just hoping for a fun, entertaining movie, but now I'm hoping I like it as much as he seems to.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Two very positive reviews in this video from Collider. It is a non-spoiler review.

Looking forward to seeing this next weekend.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
He wasn't asked in an interview. He didn't need to say ANYTHING if he didn't like it.

Your point and Jonathan's point are not mutually exclusive. The fact that James Gunn went out of his way to say good things about the film bodes well for it, but I don't think it's out-of-bounds to note that Gunn is hardly a neutral observer. He's operating in the heart of the Marvel machine, which doesn't invalidate his opinion but certainly does impact it.

Right now, the film is tracking at 72 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, which is by no means bad but on the lower end for Marvel (better than Thor: The Dark World, and about level with Iron Man 2). I really didn't care for the second Thor movie, but I'm one of the few who loved Iron Man 2, so if it can approach that level I'll be happy.

Still, I'm a bit superheroed out at this point, so I'm probably going to wait for Redbox on this one, unless one of my friends is going to see it and happens to ask me along.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I, too, find Iron Man 2 a guilty pleasure... at least until it disintegrates shortly after liftoff. Monaco was pretty great, and I enjoy Whiplash in parts, but Sam Rockwell gives it life. Everything else feels rote and rushed.

I find, also, that I bring a small amount of baggage to Iron Man films (even the ones they will never produce) because I keep expecting them to deal with "Demon in a Bottle." They never seem to go there, even though enough seeds are planted to take that character in a truly challenging direction that does not involve punching 50 faceless robots. Here's hoping Civil War lands a right hook for Iron Man's character development that deepens him.

Though The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy truly thrilled, the rest of Phase II has left me wanting. Both Thor and The Avengers have been letting me down lately, largely due to a dose of bad writing, and while I hope this decline is just an anomaly, the Ant-Man stuff so far has not done anything to reverse my impressions. Seems we're ending this Phase II with an odd couple of fizzles instead of something truly extraordinary (i.e. the first Avengers).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks