What's new

MARVEL 1960's Superhero Cartoons (1 Viewer)

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, and Amazon have a 5 disc "60's Superhero Collection" listed for release on 11/16/04 (Amazon has it as 6/28/05) It is stated that this is coming from Walt Disney Home Video. Disney has the rights to almost every Marvel cartoon so I can't imagine what else this release could be. I don't know of anyother superhero cartoons in their library. Anyone have any information about this release? Gord?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Everybody sing along!

"Doctor Banner... blasted by gamma rays -
Turns into the Hulk-
Ain't he unglam-or-ase..." :D

Gary

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Great. I almost just imported the Region 2 releases but held off for some unknown reason. Thanks for the info.;)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Are these the '60s cartoons with the very limited "animation" (basically, comic book pages with certain objects manipulated)?

I really hope so. These are so bad, that they're extremely hilarious.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
Intriguing! I certainly haven't heard anything, but likely such a title would indeed collect the Marvel Superheroes syndicated show from the 1960s. A five-disc set might be enough to hold the whole thing. Boy, that's making for an even more crowded November! Buck Rogers, Seinfeld, and Iron Man in the same month?! If retailers have it up, an announcement should be coming soon, one would think..

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
If this turns out to be the old Marvel cartoons, I'll definitely be getting it. I thought those songs were great:

'Cross the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard,
Where the booming heavens roar,
You'll behold in breathless wonder,
The god of thunder, Mighty Thor!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Man, i haven't seen those since the late 70s.
loved the themes, and i don't remember the limited animation bothering me since it was taken from the mostly great, detailed, original art from the comics.

hope this is accurate, i'll definitely be adding it to my shopping list, and if so Nov is going to be a back breaker.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Ah! It's been announced at TVSHOWSONDVD.COM. Unfortunately the release date IS 6/28/05. Oh well...it will be good to have them when they finally do come out.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
probably just as well.
this Fall is going to be murder trying to keep up with even half the titles i really want.
will be nice to have this to look forward to next summer.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
This will be a instant buy for me, already have both Marvel Hero box sets amazon had a couple of years ago that came with a litho and coin. I love them, and actually prefer the animation in those compared to cartoons now.
I love the theme songs too! You could actually hum them. :D
"The red, white and blue will come through, when Captain America throws his mighty shield!"
Any 60's-80's Marvel animation I really love with Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends being my VERY favorite!
Love your site btw Jon! I wrote to Disney and Rhino.
I got the standard form letter from Disney.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Great news! I just hope that they include the original openings with the Merry Marvel Marching Society themes at the beginning and end:

Marvel Super Heroes

Meet the sulky over-bulky kinda'
hulky superhero
A tuned-in-istic and electrically transistored superhero
An exotically neurotic and aquatic superhero
The Marvel Super Heroes have arrived!
Super powered from the forehead to the toes
Watch them change their shape before your nose
See a cane-striking superhero change to Viking superhero
A humdingin' real swinging shield flinging superhero
Their the the latest their the greatest ultimatist superheroes
The Marvel Super Heroes have arrived!

End Theme: Mighty Marvel Marching Society

Stand a little straighter.
Walk a little prouder.
Be an innovator.
Clap a little louder.
Grow forever greater.
We can show you how to.
Where will you be then?

You belong, you belong,
you belong, you belong
to the Merry Marvel Marching Society.
March along, march along,
march along to the song
of the Merry Marvel Marching Society.
If you growl, if you grown
with a down sour outlook,
if you howl, if you moan,
you can lose your sour grout
by keeping trim and in step
with the vim and the pep
of the Meery Marvel Marching Society.

Be an early riser.
Strive to be ambitious.
Speak a little wiser.
Try to be judicious.
Be a good advisor,
never ever vicious.
Where will you be then?

Face front...
Lift your head...
You're on the winning team...
DROP DEAD!

You belong, you belong,
you belong, you belong
to the Merry Marvel Marching Society.
March along, march along,
march along to the song
If you growl, if you groan,
and your star is nearly zero,
do not howl, do not moan,
you can be a superhero,
marching right along
to the fighting song

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
It is possible that this set will contain the complete series.

Here’s how the math works:
The series is comprised of 5 character sub-shows (Cap America, Hulk, Thor, Sub-Mariner, & Iron Man)
Each episode of a character sub-show is comprised of 3 six-minute chapters (which form one complete story arc).
There were 13 episodes made for each character.

6 minutes x 3 chapters x 13 episodes x 5 characters = 19.5 hours.
Could even be slightly longer if the original Merry Marvel Marching Society themes are included at the beginning and end of each episode.

In any case, if each disc in this 5 DVD set is loaded with close to 4 hours of programming, then that would mean that this set would contain the complete series. Wow! I certainly hope that is the case!!!

Brian-C

Grip
Now with Spiderman 67 out, and the 60s Marvel set coming, I am curious about the 60s (or maybe it was 70s) Fantastic Four cartoon series. Not sure when it was aired, but it seemed to have the same art style as the 67 Spiderman series, and I have a few episodes. Seeing as this Marvel set is to coincide with the release of next years Fantastic Four movie, I wonder if, and if not, why not?, they will release the FF toon series.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

The 60's Fantastic Four cartoon could have legal problems. For a while Marvel was quite good at keeping the rights to their cartoons. But Hanna-Barbera made the 60's FF cartoon and Marvel has never owned it, therefore Disney does not own it now...Hanna-Barbera (Time Warner) still does.

I have no idea how legit this is but I have read on the internet that HB blatantly owns the syndication rights to the FF cartoon. That's why you can see it on Cartoon Network and Boomerang at times. The legal problems come from the fact that home video rights were not written in the 60s (obviously) so Marvel has tried to stake their claim to the cartoon's video rights. I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS TRUE but it would make sense since the FF cartoon has never been on video.

Mark To: Has the "Merry Marvel Marching Society" intro ever been shown since the original airings?

[Please excuse my shout-out] Hey Randy!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
With the FF movie coming out next year, I can't imagine a more ideal time to release it. Hopefully they can hash out the legal issues in time to get that series out on DVD at the same time as well.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
The last time I saw the show on the air was when I was in 8th grade so that would have been about 1971 and it still had the MMMS opens and closings on it. I assume that whoever has the negatives now has all of the original elements although as we have seen with other series that can be a false assumption.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Has there been any recent updates on this set?

Details about it's confirmation of release seemed sketchy at first so I'm just wondering if there's been any new details to surafce or reason to believe that it might get cancelled?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks