What's new

Marvel’s Agent Carter (ABC) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Since the old petition to get Netlfix to take over the show is moot (Netflix said they looked at it but couldn't for business reasons), there is a new one, aimed at Marvel (and hey, credit to these petition folks - they got Netflix to take a look):

Marvel: Fans Want More Agent Carter
https://www.change.org/p/marvel-the-fans-want-more-agent-carter

Also, Hayley Atwell again said she supports Agent Carter's return:

HAYLEY ATWELL ON WHETHER AGENT CARTER COULD RETURN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/05/hayley-atwell-on-whether-agent-carter-could-return

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't believe a word of it, as much as I'd like it to be true.

Netflix has already stated that they don't have interest in the Agent Carter show for a multitude of business and demographic reasons. I can't believe that they've magically changed their thinking overnight, and this article which sites absolutely no sources whatsoever unfortunately doesn't sway me. The article shows a lack of understanding for television in general - it says that Atwell was "transferred" by the network from Agent Carter to Conviction, but that's now how things work. She auditioned for, and got, Conviction independently of her role on Agent Carter. That ABC was comfortable with her didn't hurt, but it's not as if she was under exclusive contract to ABC and just moved from one show to the other like a simple dorm room reassignment. At one point, they again use the word "transfer" to describe the show moving from ABC to Netflix - again, not how that works. At the beginning of the article, it states that Netflix will be launching a season three. At the end of the article, it states Netflix is watching the situation "like a hawk" and that they are prepared to "swoop in and buy the rights" if Conviction is canceled - again, not really how that works.

I think this is speculation from a devoted fan that's been written up and thrown out as if it were real news. This does not appear to be a legitimate news site.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The probable cancellation of "Conviction" makes further live action appearances of Atwell as Agent Carter more likely, but I don't think anybody wants ABC's castoffs. It certainly doesn't help that Disney's never been aggressive about leveraging ancillary revenue streams for its Marvel TV series.

With Warner Bros's DC superhero shows, you've got Blu-Rays, you've got Digital HD, you've got the streaming deal with Netflix, you've got aggressive international distribution. None of that seems to be there for the Marvel TV series. It's a shame. I would love to follow this character through the decades. Because we know Peggy dies at 95 after a long and eventful career, Atwell could literally play Peggy her entire life.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The probable cancellation of "Conviction" makes further live action appearances of Atwell as Agent Carter more likely, but I don't think anybody wants ABC's castoffs. It certainly doesn't help that Disney's never been aggressive about leveraging ancillary revenue streams for its Marvel TV series.

With Warner Bros's DC superhero shows, you've got Blu-Rays, you've got Digital HD, you've got the streaming deal with Netflix, you've got aggressive international distribution. None of that seems to be there for the Marvel TV series. It's a shame. I would love to follow this character through the decades. Because we know Peggy dies at 95 after a long and eventful career, Atwell could literally play Peggy her entire life.

Now that'd be something I'd gladly stick around for.

Unlikely as it might have been, Agent Carter presents the best of what the Marvel Cinematic Universe has to offer, whether it's her strong characterization, or the way her character weaves in and out throughout Marvel mythology, etc., etc., etc., Carter always hits the sweet spots about what I like about this world.

Though I'm not currently watching any of them, I agree that DC does a much better job at promoting its television product over Marvel. I wish that sort of effort were applied by Marvel. Probably most people posting on this thread like the Marvel movies better than the DC movies, but on the disc side of things,the two DC movies released to disc so far have better special features than the most recent Marvel movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's a writer from both seasons of Agent Carter detailing some of what would have happened in the third season:

Agent Carter Writer Expands On Show’s Planned Season 3 Plot

https://www.cbr.com/agent-carter-writer-expands-planned-season-3-plot/

No word on a revival, although I suspect stories like this are often planted to gauge or drum up interest.

And if Peggy's brother was still alive, as the story says he would be, it goes toward explaining the presence of Sharon Carter, Peggy's niece or great-niece in the Captain America films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Road to Endgame Revisit #2:
My original plan was to re-watch the entire first season of "Agent Carter". Things changed when I realized that the first season actually had eight episodes, when I'd thought there were six episodes. I'm also finding I have less time available in the evenings than I'd planned.

But I wanted to at least re-watch the first two episodes, because they occupy an interesting place both in the continuity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and within Marvel's evolution as a company.

The new Disney+ streaming service is set to feature two television series (one centered around Vision and Scarlet Witch, the other centered around Falcon and the Winter Soldier) that will be made by Marvel Studios, center around characters with prominent roles in the feature films, and tie in directly with the continuity of the feature films.

In many ways, the first season of "Agent Carter" -- and the first two episodes in particular -- was Marvel's first attempt at that strategy. At the time, Marvel's film and television units were still both under Ike Perlmutter. The series was created by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely, the screenwriters of six MCU movies, and they also wrote the pilot. The pilot picks up right where Captain America: The First Avenger leaves off, repurposing Captain America's last conversation with Peggy Carter from that movie as the show's cold open. And its title character is the female lead from that movie, with Hayley Atwell reprising her role. The second episode is directed by Anthony Russo, who directed (with his brother) two Captain America movies and two Avengers movies. And the second episode is written by Eric Pearson, one of the screenwriters on Thor: Ragnarok. Unlike most shows at the time that used budget visual effects houses to achieve relatively simple to execute effects, "Agent Carter" has the resources of Industrial Light & Magic at its disposal to turn 2014 Los Angeles into 1946 New York City.

The feature films have never revisited the 1940s since Captain America: The First Avenger, so this series provides a nice opportunity to explore and expand a corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that we otherwise wouldn't get to see much of. The production design, while a significant step down from Captain America: The First Avenger, is effective at recreating another time and place. I've never been a fan of the way ABC shoots its dramas; they never feel cinematic to me. "Agent Carter" suffers from that a bit, but certain techniques the show uses to approximate a 1940s look helps mitigate the problem somewhat. But it's a sign of how far our expectations for television continue to have evolved even in the past five years that it too often feels disappointingly like a broadcast show.

The sexism Peggy's up against is probably accurate to the period, but it's so heavy handed -- especially in these first two episodes -- that it becomes tiresome. To the show's credit, however, it doesn't make Peggy a flawless heroine in the face of the obstacles she's up against. She can be arrogant and dismissive, and sometimes her bravery is more accurate described as recklessness.

There are two key relationships that make the show sing: Peggy's buddy cop dynamic with Edwin Jarvis, Howard Stark's butler and the inspiration for the AI software inside Tony Stark's Iron Man armor in the early MCU movies, and her friendship with Angie Martinelli, the automat waitress. As Jarvis, James D'Arcy is plodding but resolute. His is someone who thrives on order, who has traded a very disorderly boss in Howard Stark for a very disruptive associate in Peggy Carter. The character is so well-rendered and defined that the humor all flows from the character; the audience knows exactly who this man is, and so we anticipate and delight in his reactions to situations that are far outside the purview of your average English butler. As Angie, Lyndsy Fonseca is the first season's secret weapon. A great character, married to a great performance. Angie lights up every scene she's in, and Fonseca finds a way to make her wonderfully present and quite a bit smarter than Peggy gives her credit for. She may be Peggy's tie to the "normal" world, but she's always aware of what's going on around her.

The emotional through line of the first season is Peggy coming to terms with Steve Rogers's almost certain death. The first two episodes thread that in lightly, but I remember it resolving in a really satisfying but understated way.

The second season didn't really work for me, but I would still love more adventures with Atwell as Peggy Carter. Because the character's journey spans so many decades, it's a role that Atwell could literally revisit for the rest of her life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks