What's new

Martina McBride/Academy Of Country Music Awards (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Anyone else knocked out by Martina rippin' the roof off with her performance of "Where Would You Be" on last night's ACMAs? Wow. Even Alan Jackson, who won awards for "Where Were You," said he was glad he wasn't competing in Martina's categories. Heh heh.

Cheers,
Paul

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
While I am not a fan of hers, I was impressed with her performance. Have to go get greatest-hits album now.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Danny:

Re Martina's Greatest: it's a comprehensive collection that includes 4 previously unreleased cuts, one of which is of course the outstanding "Where Would You Be." Another is the (#1) "Blessed," yet another (country) tune that packs additional resonance post-September 11 IMO. The liner notes include interesting comments on each track from both Martina and (producer) Paul Worley.

It's HDCD-encoded too which, interestingly enough, is not uncommon on contemporary country records.

Cheers,
Paul

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
"Independence Day" remains my favorite Martina McBride tune. I like "Blessed" too. Will add her CD to the collection. Thanks for the info, Paul!!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Did we watch the same performance? I have seen Martina McBride perform live on TV many times before, and always liked it. I have 4 of her albums, and she's one of my favorite artists.
However, that performance on the ACMA was terrible! She seemed to be singing slightly out of tune throughout a lot of it, especially during the "where would you BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" part :), and it was awful, IMO. She kept fiddling with her earplug too, so I was thinking that she couldn't hear the feedback very well or something, and that's why she was out of tune.
I was very disappointed.
/Mike

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
MickeS:
Yeah, I of course noticed her adjusting her earpiece a couple of times and could tell that there were micro technical/engineering issues. But they did not detract from the macro impact of her performance--standing on a raised, illuminated dais in a red dress, knockin' out a powerful song. Judging from the standing ovation she got, I think others felt the same.
She says in the Greatest Hits liner notes that "Where Would You Be" is the most difficult song she's cut. Maybe the song's jinxed?! :)
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks