What's new

Mario Kart DS (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So I picked this up last night (Toys R Us has it for $35 if you're in Canada), and thought I'd post some initial impressions. The game itself is about what you'd expect, and I only really had time to play one grand prix to try it out. It controls surprisingly well without the analog we've all become used to, but I noticed that holding down A all the time and using the shoulder buttons gets a little uncomfortable after a while. Not a huge deal though.

The big reason everyone is interested in this one of course is the Wifi. The first thing I did with the cart actually was to see how simple it was to get the online play working with my router. The only hitch that I hit setting it up was that my router isn't configured for DHCP, but Nintendo allows you to specify static IP/DNS information in the "advanced" settings. Glad that this is in there, since I'd really rather not have to change my router settings again. After that, Mario Kart could connect to the WFC, and was able to search for opponents...and keep searching...and keep searching. A quick check of their website last night revealed that there were problems with the service, so I'll give it a shot again tonight and see. It's encouraging so far though-I like this free online play on consoles idea (especially if it's wireless). We'll see how well it works in practice though.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Yeah, everyone was REALLY upset about the online since it only has 20 of the 32 tracks online, no battle mode online, some items are missing and such. But Im interested how it plays out regardless of all that...

I hear it has a hell of a single player mode too. Man, I'd get a DS if it wasn't so close to Christmas...

JamesED

Second Unit
I picked it up last night after my exam. I got a few minutes of trying it out before I went to sleep.

Initial Impressions:
The racing seems fun. I wish I could reassign the controls, the gas button being toward the outside of the DS is causing some serious hand cramps. I tried a few Battle mode maps, they seemed way too large. I really liked the small battle maps used in Double Dash. This feels like going back to the N64 version, roaming around trying to find people. I really, really wish they could have got Battle mode on-line.

Now that I'm finished with Castlevania DS, I'll be rushing to unlock everything in this game.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I also just ordered this game (as well as Sonic Rush which looks interesting). I'm giving three of my grandkids DSs for Christmas (along with their own Nintendogs) so I'm interested in seeing how the "community" mode for Mario Cart works.

Am I reading it right that if the grandkids come over to grandpa's with their own DSes that we can race using the MarioCart cartridge in my DS? I've never used the sharing mode (not the online stuff which is another matter but the local WiFi DS net) and would like to hear from users with experience in this area.

Thanks.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Yes. We had some fun six player races at work yesterday using just one cartridge of MarioKart, sharing the game to everyone's machine.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, had a little more success with the online mode last night, and managed to get into a couple of regional races. The only problem is that I kept getting "your opponent has disconnected" messages after the first race in a series. I'm assuming that this is just people dropping out of the race, since later I actually managed to finish a four race circuit, but I suppose it's possible that the connection was flaky. Still, the game played perfectly online.

Now to play more single player and start unlocking more stuff.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
It's going to be hard for Nintendo to top this one. Mario Kart DS is excellent. It's amazing how far the DS has come in just one year.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Rhoq, I agree. I was a "late" adopter of the DS (after the price dropped) because it didn't intrigue me originally but I have to say that I'm using it a lot more than my SONY PSP since the various games are so much more fun. Yes, I know all about the capabilities of the PSP and the better graphics, etc. and this is not meant to be PSP-bashing, but to me the proof is in which unit gets more use. Heck, I've not even used my Liberty City game yet in my PSP while I can't stop playing Metroid Pinball with the Rumble Pack! The combination of price and playability of the DS made this a no-brainer when deciding on Xmas gifts for the grandkiddies. They fell in love with my Nintendogs and I saw in about five minutes that they had mastered the interface (Ages 7, 7 and 9). They thought I was a "cool" grandpa before (thanks to the Home Theater) but now I think I'll be on a whole new plateau.

:laugh:

And they haven't even seen the XBox360 on a huge HD screen yet (neither have I, but the countdown is, as you all know, in progress.)

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Robert, I've had my DS since launch day - but it sat on my shelf for a few months unplayed becuase of the lack of quality titles. Honestly, the system was rushed to make it in time for Christmas last year and none of the developers had adequate time to produce any substantial games because there was just no time. As a result the DS saw a few N64 ports and way too many enhanced GBA titles.

Once we hit the Summer of 2005, there was a noticeable improvement in DS game quality. Developers finally had enough time to refine their titles and create truly unique gaming experiences. The DS really hit it's stride in August and has been on a roll ever since. There are 5 titles which have been released over the last 2 months that I want to pick-up, plus there are probably 5 more coming out between now and the end of the year that I would like as well.

As far as the PSP is concerned. I know one person that owns one and he doesn't play it. He says that he now thinking about trading it in for a DS. Up until Burnout Legends (which will be released for the DS next week) came out, I only saw people watching UMD movies on their PSPs in public. Now the few people I see with PSPs are playing 'Burnout'.

One day, I'll probably buy a PSP - but not before the price drops to $199. Sony has a nice little system, but none of the games really stand out as "must-have" titles, at least not yet.

I have a feeling that while the PSP is the cool toy that everyone's got to have just for the "wow" factor, I think the DS is going to be prove to the "little system that could". The games are getting consistantly better, the touch screen and mic are allowing for great new methods of gameplay that have already proved to not be a gimmick and after only a year, games like 'Mario Kart' are proving that the DS is certainly capable of producing some very pretty visuals.

Nintendo's latest philosophies suggest that gamers are more interested in the fun-factor than eye candy. They believe that innovation and changing the way games are played is where the future of gaming needs to go. While I don't completely agree, at least not on the home console level, I do believe that this will be the precedent during this handheld war between the DS and PSP. I hope this reasoning works in Nintendo's favor with their upcoming "Revolution" console, but I honestly don't think it will.

It's really unfair to even compare the 2 systems since they are completely different, but I think it's going to come down to this bottom line: Do you want to be the cool guy with the shiny, expensive toy or do you want to be guy having fun with some truly innovative games? I think fun is going to win regardless of graphical horsepower.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Rhoq,

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
This is killing me. I was so determined not to get a DS, but the best games coming out right now mostly all seem to be for DS! The little system that could indeed!

resistance...getting...weaker...:)

PatrickJB

Grip
Robert A Fowkes, how much do you want for your PSP? ;)

Seriously though, I'm getting the DS instead of the PSP for my wife for XMass due to the available games for her(Animal Crossing, Nintendogs) and what I like(Metroid, Advanced Wars, etc...). I'm even toying with getting my own DS but I may/will wait to see if the need is really there.

Honestly, I'd love to have the PSP but as with many of you I can't afford both and at this time the DS has a much more appealing catalog(If only PSP had a killer RPG and the games weren't $50, but that's for another thread). Also, there are a bunch of used GBA games I would love to get.

Any word on a DS Zelda game or a Metroid sidescroller yet?

Question, her favorite color is pink and I see there is a pink DS bundle, although rare, floating around which includes Nintendogs for $250(I belive this is the price, correct me if I am wrong). In a week the Mario Kart RED DS bundle arrives for $150. I also plan on buying her Animal Crossing as well. If I get the Mario Kart bundle I will have to purchase Nintendogs seperatly. Obviously I'm not going to get both bundles. If it were up to you what combo of items I have listed would you get? Sorry for the hijack...

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Patrick - the pink DS with 'Nintendogs' should also only be $150.

'Advance Wars: Dual Strike' alone is worth the purchase of a DS.

For side-scrolling Metroid fun there are the last 2 GBA titles "Metroid Fusion" and "Metroid Zero Mission", plus the original as part of the "Classic NES" series.

The all-new DS title, 'Metroid Prime: Hunters' won't be out until the spring. If you liked the 2 Metroid Prime games on the GameCube, the new DS game should keep you busy for a good while.

'Metroid Prime Pinball' was recently released and includes a "DS Rumble Pack" for force feedback. I've heard that it's a pretty solid pinball game.

A new DS Zelda title is apparently in the works, but nobody knows anything about it, other than that it in development. My guess is that it will debut at E3 in May.

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator
As a DS and PSP owner I have to say if you like sports games and you like to play online then the PSP is the way to go.Socom Fire Team Bravo for the PSP is a great online third person shooter.40 bucks for the game 20 for the headset.You can talk to your team members(8 vs 8)and no lag at all.I look forward to playing Mario Kart online once they work out the bugs.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Also as a DS and PSP owner, also owner of all portable gaming systems since the Microvision, and now getting rid of 2 gameboy systems(color and orig).

I buy for fun and also Eye candy. I have a library of exactly 97 gameboy games all individually, not those asian 100 game packs that some people I know have.

In its time the Sega gamegear, and gameboy were going at it with the Atari Lynx, and Turboexpress unit. Too bad didn't have any posts on these.

Only if Gameboy learned from all the mistakes, as having a backlit system, then dual screen etc, it all came down to the DS for Nintendo. Minus the fact SP now has brighter screen, I kept original sp to play my old gameboy classic games. Micro was a bust, too small, screen not protected when putting in a pocket etc....

PSP is enjoyable too, most recent games are for me Socom, and Pinball Hall of Fame. After 4 racing games I finally got my burnout Legends too.
Awaiting the PSP version of Smackdown vs Raw. Not a movie UMD fan since I rather use DVD's.
Downloading movie to stick don't look too good. But advantage is more easier to carry than a portable dvd player, or laptop on trips.

Wonder if another DS will come out with a brighter screen, and able to play gameboy classic and colour, and PSP comes out with a cover for the screen.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, Nintendo has said that there'll be revisions to the DS, so you never know what they'll do. I can't see what they could really improve on, but possibly a smaller unit is in the works. Don't think that there'll be one with GB(C) compatability though-that would mean adding more to the cost. Only major addition I can see is a DS that has a CF reader or something built in for media playback etc.

As for games, Metroid Pinball is fantastic, but the rumble pack is a waste of the GBA slot. It makes more noise than vibration... Still, if you like pinball at all, you should get this game right away. Only feature that's missing is something like an online scoreboard, and that's just me wanting more competition for high scores.

Hell, at this point, I'm actually still playing Kirby, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, MP Pinball, and Meteos, and I still want to buy Castlevania, Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, and Mario & Luigi 2.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I recently decided to get a DS instead of a PSP because of the software. Since it can play GBA games, it has a radically bigger roster of software. In addition, the stuff's cheaper. Everything for the PSP is expensive (relatively) - I just ain't spending $40+ for one game. Lots of good, cheap stuff for the DS - that's what sold it to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks