Marantz sr8500 vs outlaw 970/7075

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by rademacher1939, Aug 29, 2006.

1. rademacher1939

I was just getting ready to purchase Marantz's SR8500 for my listening and
    Movie pleasure. Then someone suggested that I looking at separate components for just a little bit more .

Outlaw was suggested.
    How would they stack up to each other and is there any other suggestions or ideas on this area.

When I was going over Outlaws wed site, they said this set up would be great for a smaller room. The room I'm setting this up in is about 2,000 cf.,
    and it would be a bit more because the rafters will be partially open.
    Both systems are DVI
    Both will handle the 7.1 system I'm working on
    The Marantz is 125watts per channel
    Outlaw is 75watts per channel

Any and all views are welcome.
    Thanks, John

2. Adam Stoltz

Adam Stoltz Stunt Coordinator

The little Outlaw amp has had good reviews, don't let the wattage fool you, I would say both will be close to the same output with the Outlaw having a bit more detail due to a raw amp with a separate power supply. I am sure someone will chime in that owns a 8500 to further assist your decision. Look at it this way, if you get the smaller amp now...in a few years you can upgrade to a larger one [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What speakers? I would tend to agree with Adam. The Outlaws have solid power supplies and the Marantz power supplies are very good, but not quite as stout when using more demanding speakers. The power output is likely closer than it would seem on paper. I have an 8300 and I love it, but with all my speakers all being 4 Ohm and having a fairly large room, I found I needed to add some amps. Other than that, I can definitely say Marantz makes great gear.

I haven't heard their newest stuff, but a buddy has a 1050 and I don't think you'd be disappointed on the sound front with either brand.

I also totally agree with Adam about the ability to simply swap out the amp or add additional amps down the road if you need more power.

4. rademacher1939

Thank you Adam and John for your reply.

The speakers I have
    B&W 704's up front
    B&W Dipoles in the middle
    B&W in walls in the rear
    B&W HTM-7 for the center

John, you gave me some good advice in my quest for the proper sub for my
    theater and will soon be ordering SVS PB12plus/2. Is Outlaw to components as SVS is to subs. There are a bunch of Manufactures of fine components but if some could point me in the right direction, I would really be grateful.
    The Outlaw set up seems to be right in my budget, but for the sake of comparison, who else would be comparable.

5. John Garcia

John
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=30.1

That setup might be comparable too. You can see some comments recently here.

Subs, there are a few clear go-to favorites when it comes to Internet Direct, but electronics it is a little different because you have a lot more choices both ID and from "brand name" manufactuerers.

In your price range, I'd probably also look at Rotel's receivers.

6. rademacher1939

John,
    Thanks for the input, I would have reply sooner but I had to get through a list of "Honey Do's".
    I think I'm liking the Outlaw 970/7075.
    I was impressed with the Emovtiva LPA1 but was concerned with only 5 of the 7 channel pushing 125watts and channel 6&7 pushing 50watts.

I"m just concerned that the 75watts per channel might be a little low, or am I being to critical (Outlaw 7075).

Next question, is HDMI the way to go or is it safer to stay with DVI?
    I've read RAF thread on the great debate on the process and find that the evolution of HDMI is still evolving at a pretty quick pace. Thinking out loud here, I would hate jump into a HDMI system and in a couple of years try to explain to the wife we new different equipment.

I think I just talked myself into the outlaw system. Now I have to decide on the 7075 or 7125 amp.

7. Adam Stoltz

Adam Stoltz Stunt Coordinator

Call up Outlaw and see if they have any b-stock or demo units or the 7125 to help out costs. The HDMI and DVI is a daily evolving debate. I am not sure if Outlaw had any plans to implement HDMI into an existing pre/pro they offer? If you call you might want to ask them about that.

8. John Garcia

John
    The surrounds don't use that much power anyway, so it really isn't a big deal that they are only getting 50w. They most likely draw no more than 10-15w average.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Agree with JG, you are better off with 125 X 3 and 50 X 2 than with 75 all around. And, if you set up your system in the way that most everyone is recommending, with all speakers set to small and bass diverted to subwoofer, even a fairly modest receiver can handle that; certainly the Marantz will.

10. John Garcia

John
    I'm running my center and surrounds (5.1) off my 8300, while each main gets 180w @ 4 Ohms each from one monoblock. I thought I would need more than that, but the relatively low demand from the surrounds, the 8300 shows no strain in this configuration even at rather loud levels.

11. rademacher1939

Okay, you got me ready to drop my money on the Emotiva LPA-1; I read a bit about there processor and follow quite a few of the threads about it also.
    Most of the time they are talkig about the amp and not the processor. Is the LMC-1 pretty good. I know Adam Stoltz said in another thread that he was interested in this set up, or should I be looking at the Outlaw processor (970 or 990)along with the LPA-1 .

12. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yeah, the LPA-1 is pretty good. With regard to Outlaw processors, while some people like having DVI input/output that Outlaw opted for, most of the rest of the world has opted for HDMI. Outlaw also never got it together to incorporate room/speaker EQ, which is a very useful feature. After all, subwoofers are now incorporating more and more EQ features, with the best right now being the Velodyne SMS-1. If sub EQ is worth having, why not get a processor with room/speaker EQ?

You are obviously smitten with separates, however, if I were in your shoes, I would get a Denon 2807, which was a star of CEDIA 2006.

I have both a 92 watt (as tested) receiver, and a 425 watt per channel 70 pound amp. The difference is slight. Please remember, virtually all those in the know recommend that you set your speakers to Small and let your sub handle all the bass. The demands on amplification are not great.

13. Th8ter

Th8ter Extra

I have the same exact speaker set up and just got the SVS Ultra 2 you will love the sound from either the Outlaw. If it were me I would find the extra $300 and go with the 7125. In fax right now they have a B stock that is only $200 more. The B&W's are well worth the extra $200-300. I am looking at the 990/7200 combo to replace Denon 3803.

14. rademacher1939

Thanks Tommy I will have to check that out.
    Just looking at it right now. How would you compare it to the AV123
    Emotiva amp LPA-1.
    Right now with the cash I've been/will be dolling out,it seems to never stop (there is always something nicer for just another; one or two hundred bucks). I have to face the reality and say this is all I can afford.
    The Outlaw 7125 is an awesome unit. And I would believe anyone would be proud to have it in there cabinet,(heck I know I would) but is it $200 or $300 better then the LPA-1(which I just checked there Web Site while I'm writing this and they are all sold out). Well, that might help make a discission.jawdrop:

15. rademacher1939

Thanks Tommy I will have to check that out.
    Just looking at it right now. How would you compare it to the AV123
    Emotiva amp LPA-1.
    Right now with the cash I've been/will be dolling out,it seems to never stop (there is always something nicer for just another; one or two hundred bucks). I have to face the reality and say this is all I can afford.
    The Outlaw 7125 is an awesome unit. And I would believe anyone would be proud to have it in there cabinet,(heck I know I would) but is it $200 or $300 better then the LPA-1(which I just checked there Web Site while I'm writing this and they are all sold out). Well, that might help make a discission.jawdrop: