What's new

Marantz SR 7200: NOT DTS-ES (1 Viewer)

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I talked to Tech Support at Marantz America in Illinois this morning and the guy I spoke with told me that the SR7200 did not have DTS-ES capability. Only DTS 6.1 Matrix.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That doesn't make any sense. Maybe it is a legality, but I have used my 6200 with a 6th speaker, and it worked fine. It may be that the channel is a powered, matrixed channel, as the manual states that the 6.1 mode is "sufficient for playback of 6 channel material". Nowhere in their information does it say "ES" or "EX". It will play the material correctly, but is not discrete? The 6th channel is powered...so where is the distinction drawn?
Both the 6200 and the 7200 will "matrix" the sound when NOT using a 6th channel.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 07, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
dah I wish etown was still around. I bet they'd have reviewed all this marantz stuff by now.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone with experience with either the 6200 or the 7200 please describe the 'ES-matrix' sound to me? I have heard that it sounds like 'pro logic' in that it becomes center-heavy in the rear-center channel and that the two L&R surrounds sound thin. Is this your experience?
Vince

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have the 7200 and can say that it does offer 6.1 discreet sound. I do not know why they don't officially use the DTS:ES logo, but when I put in titles like Gladiator and The Haunting(which are 6.1 discreet) the rear center channel light comes on on the receiver which DOES NOT happen on 5.1 movies. I would like to note however, that I do hear the rear center channel in 5.1 movies(matrix rear). I do not find that the rear detracts from the surrounds at all. It is a natural blend of sounds that truly envelops the listener. Again, I don't know what the deal is with Marantz and DTS:ES logo, but the 7200 does offer 6.1 discreet processing. I am quite pleased with the performance of this receiver also(especially with my brand new SVS subs!).
MY System:
Panasonic wxf95 56" HD Ready TV
Marantz SR7200 6.1 Receiver(Awesome product in it's own right)
JVC XV-FA95GD 7 disc DVD Audio/video progressive scan player (really nice unit)
Sony A50 Dolby Digital Sat receiver(getting HD Sat receiver soon)
Klipsch KLF C7 Center Channel
Klipsch KLF 30's(mains)
Klipsch SS-1 Surrounds
Acoustic Research AR4-C Rear center
Dual SVS 25-31's Powered by the Samson s700(350wx2)

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
@Dalton
You didn't understand how this works. You have 5.1 and 6.1 matrix. No matter if it is DD or DTS until now. Plus there is also DTS 6.1 discrete. The fine thing with DTS 6.1 discrete is that it is backwards compartibel. So whenever a 6.1 receiver is doing it's job even if it is not equiped to decode a 6.1 discrete format it will decode the 6.1 matrix version. And this is why your receiver will indicate 6.1.
So everything is fine. You do not have 6.1 discrete but you have 6.1 matrix.
Marantz may be a little late with the all brand new formats, but the new Marantz receiver do sound good, far better than average, and this should be more worth than 6.1 discrete.
------------------

DavidAM

Second Unit
I'm catching this a little late and I understand the difference between the DTS-ES and Matrix....my question is if the 5200 also has the 6.1 matrix feature since it also has 6 channels? And what is the Circle Surround feature on the 6200/7200 model? Its not on the 5200 so I'm trying to figure out which features I want/need.
Also on a side note, can someone give me an example of component switching? I've heard the explanations of it, but I want to hear an example of when it would be used. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks