What's new

marantz sr 7005 or seperates outlaw 7500 (1 Viewer)

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I currently have the denon avr 988 and a 5 channel energy rc series speaker set up. I am trying decide is it worth the upgrade to a marantz sr7005 or a seperate such as the outlaw 7500.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I looked up your receiver - it is a fairly new model with decient power ratings (although you cannot trust these...)
The AVR-988 offers a power output of 110 watts per channel
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-988-7-1-Channel-Multizone-Receiver/dp/B000UPA4O2
From that feature set - you already have:
  • 7.1-channel 2-zone/2-source A/V home theater receiver with 110 watts per channel power output
  • Supports Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo:6 Surround, DTS-ES Extended Surround, DTS-HD, and Dolby True HD multichannel formats
  • Audyssey MultEQ calibration process makes setup easy; Faroudja DCDi video processing
  • 2 HDMI v1.3a digital video inputs and 1 HDMI monitor output; compatible with iPods and XM satellite radio receivers
The only drawback I can see - is that it only 2 HDMI inputs? What is it about the Dennon that you do not like?
Also - there are quite a bit of wiggle room with "5 channel energy rc series speaker set up"
Do you mean a micro Energy RC speaker system - like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micro-Surround-Speaker-System/dp/B001RQ2CXO
Or more of their upper end tower speakers?
Energy RC70
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542145304/
If you are running the micro's - then I would stick with the Dennon. If you have a higher end speaker system - then you could go with the upgrade....it is always fun to upgrade...
The marantz comes with 6 HDMI inputs, and a few more features...rated at 125 watts/cannel....but if you have the micro system you probally will not notice the difference.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I just think the 988 is kind of thin sounding. maybe I dont have it calibrated properly. I have always heard that Marantz is warmer and fuller sounding. I just dont know if the marantx sr7002 will make that much difference with only 15 more watts to each channel. So is ti really worth the extra $$$? My speaker set up is energy rc-70's fronts, rc 50's rear, rclcr center and a hsu stf-2 sub. I was running the rc 50's up front and upgraded to the 70's and just moved the 50's to the back. some may say overkill but it really works out nice lol! I was also thinking about the outlaw 7500 @ 200 watts into 5 channels but I have never used a seperate amp before. Would be a big increase in sq over the 988 or 7005?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon to Marantz doesn't mean anything anymore.
They will probably sound the same. The SR7005 IS the Denon AVR 3312(it is one of them, 3311, 3312...have no idea...but it is the same innards)
The 988 is not a slouch, but the Energy are 4ohm. Denon isn't stable at 4ohm unless you bought the CI model.
If I were you...
Look into Integra.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
My specs for the energies show 8 ohms nominal and 4 ohms minimum. I read up on this before I bought them and was told that any speaker at certain frequencies can dip to 4 0r 6 ohms. Its just that the high end speaker manufactures actually give you the true specs of the speaker itself.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And Denon is still not known as stable below 6ohm.
The only receivers I ever offer(I don't sell anything. I design...that way when stuff "breaks"...they cry to somebody else) for 6ohm or less speakers are...
Yamaha (RX-V6XX or RX-A7XX or higher)
Elite (no Pioneer) over $800
Any Onkyo/Integra.
And of course, I tell people about Arcam, Anthem and NAD...and so forth.
By the way, I used to offer Denon CI models. But I tend to design multi-room set-ups where Xantech, SpeakerCraft etc are involved.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
Here is a thread concerning the Energy rc 70's and the Denon 988, I have read about many situations were the 988 and rc 70's go well together it just doesnt sound well enough for me.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81225

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is funny...
A forum where FS(whatever that is?) said the Denon AVR988 is a better receiver than the Pioneer 9120...
hehehehehe

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I don't know much about the pioneer lol! Since you have experience with Integra can you tell me more about them. I have heard they are a glorified onkyo. Is that true? If so I prefer denon over onkyo. I owned an onkyo before I upgraded to the denon. I think Im just going to go separates and be done with it lol!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, "yes" Integra is "dressed up" Onkyo...
But it is impressive dress up...
You get a soft feel remote.
A nicer piece of brushed aluminum.
Nicer and more configurable GUI...
That is as far as the "dress up" goes...
The real meat and potatoes (once you are above the $1200 price point...below that they are almost clones of the Onkyo)...
RS232 control (invaluable if you do a multi-room set-up)
12V triggers that are user set(instead of "yes Onkyo have them, but each one can only do what the factory set is")
Have extra speaker terminals. (Integra came up with first)...
You can set-up for 7.1 in your main room with either...
Both height and width(but, as of yet, not both at once...only the $2000-ish Denon does that. The 3810 I think it is??? been awhile since anybody has cared)
Another room multi-zone.
Supposedly...the upper "King Kong" Integra will feature the ability to run two rooms 5.1 at the same time. That comes from Integra being the first where the .2...of 7.2 or 9.2 actually meant....2. (Yes the receiver, when it does this will be 11.2...dividable between two rooms with an idle channel)
Integra hasn't unleashed the 2nd zone 5.1 yet. They hinted at it when the .3 were coming out...but the 80.3 doesn't do it. Maybe the 80.4...???

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Take the NR5009 vs the Integra 80.3...
Both godawful expensive...
Things you get with the 80.3...
The ability for the 2nd HDMI to send a different source(5009 is simultaneous source only)
Ability to self-power Zone 2, 3 and 4(5009 can only self power zone 2)
Has zone 2 video over composite and component(5009 has composite)
There are others.
So, no...they aren't clones.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the outlaw 7500. It has great reviews and is rated at 200 watts per 5 channels. for 1500 bucks that really can't be beat. I will just hold on to my 988 and use it as a pre/pro. Does anyone have any experience with this amp??

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I am really confused on which decision to make. I like listening to music in 4 channels but the problem is when I start pushing all 4 channels for music with the 988 it sounds way to bright. I really need some advice on this issue. I also found a Rotel RBM-1075 ON Ebay for 620.00 used. It is 125 watts into 5 channels. Am I thinking in the right direction for multi-channel music listening that the 988 just doesnt have enough power all channels driven and I am paying for it in sq??

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
vespa said:
I am really confused on which decision to make. I like listening to music in 4 channels but the problem is when I start pushing all 4 channels for music with the 988 it sounds way to bright. I really need some advice on this issue. I also found a Rotel RBM-1075 ON Ebay for 620.00 used. It is 125 watts into 5 channels. Am I thinking in the right direction for multi-channel music listening that the 988 just doesnt have enough power all channels driven and I am paying for it in sq??
The fact is, it's probably a combination of both the speakers and the receiver, or more the amp in the receiver. An external amp is almost always an improvement if there is a chance of not having enough power or of low impedance speakers.
Before going for the Outlaw, you should look at the Emotiva XPA-5 which is $600 less and probably every bit as good.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HAVE EQUAL POWER TO ALL CHANNELS IF POSSIBLE. THE ENERGIES ARE PRETTY EFFECIANT AT 92db. IT MAY BE MY ROOM ACOUSTICS ALSO. i HAVE NEVER USED THE AUDESSY ON MY 988, WOULD THAT MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE?? I HAD AN ONKYO 2 CHANNEL RECIEVER YEARS AGO THAT I HAD SOME INFINITY TOWERS HOOKED TO AND IT SOUNDED SO AWESOME. THESE DAYS IT JUST DOESN'T SOUND THE SAME. WOULD A GOOD POWER AMP GIVE THAT OLD STERO RECEIVER SOUND BACK?? OR AM I JUST WISHING?? LOL!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can't answer that question. Someone else probably will, but that doesn't mean they will be correct.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
IT JUST SEEMS LIKE MY SYSTEM IS MISSING SOMETHING AND I WOULD HATE SPENDING THOUSANDS.....TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT. OF COURSE I HAVE HEARD THAT AUDIOPHILES HAVE GONE BROKE IN SEARCH OF THAT PERFECT SOUND LOL! IT CAN BE A VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If I were you...
I'd peruse Audiogon for a used amp that, if the thing you want doesn't materialize, turn around and sell the amp.
Speaking of which, my favorite amp of all time...especially in the "cost/power ratio" is the Kenwood M2A. I have 4 of them.
I don't think there is a receiver made today that can touch it...but it isn't fair to attempt to.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
QUESTION IS WERE DO YOU FIND AN AMP LIKE THAT THESE DAYS THAT HASNT BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH LOL! I WOULD LIKE TO FIND 2 AMPS LIKE THAT IN CLOSE TO MINT CONDITION.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/rotel-rmb-1075-5-channel-amp-w-optional-rack-mount
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/onkyo-integra-pa-mc5500-thx-9-channel-amplifier
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/nad-t-955-five-channel-power-amp-with-manufacturer-s-wa--3
Those are the most likely re-sellable for what you paid...
And Audiogon isn't Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks