What's new

Marantz MA-700 monoblocks...unavailable!!! They don't make 'em anymore! (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I ordered a couple of these last week at my local B&M and they called me today to tell me the bad news...
They don't make them anymore! Ughhh...
I really thought these were my answer. I ordered 2 for my mains and was pretty excited to set them up. No more.
I would like to find 2 monoblocks at around a buck a watt. Does anyone have another suggestion? Should I just use a decent 2 channel amp up front? Any suggestions at this price point are appreciated.
I am using a Denon 5800 with Nautilus 804s in front. I'd like to take the stress off the receiver for the mains and maybe even the center...to match the front 3.
I am excited about using monoblocks simply because of their flexibility. Will I be able to find them at this price?
What about refurb or B-stock Marantz?
Jeremy

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hit eBay and search for "Monoblocks". I bought a set of 3 THX monoblocks in a rack for about $350. (Mainly because they came out of Sacramento near my home so the shipping was'nt too bad).

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys
Onecall is out of stock and they want a hundred bucks more than my local B&M was charging!!!
I've been looking on E-Bay for a week (comparison shopping) and haven't found any...just 500s.
I'll keep looking...
Thanks again.
Jeremy

You might also consider the Acurus amps that Klipsch is selling through uBid or onecall.com
I've also got a 5800 and I just ordered an Acurus 200X3, for my front end, from uBid.
Ross

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,,
Try a 5 channel THX amp.
You can use 3 channels to drive the front forray or include the 4rth and 5th channel to bi-amp the mains.
The Denon then can drive the rear 4 surrounds stress free.
I beleive that Marantz makes a nice 5 channel amp.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new pictures!
[Edited last by Trevor Schell on August 22, 2001 at 10:56 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys...
Trevor, I didn't think of biwiring the fronts with a 5 channel...wasn't aware that you were doing this.
I must do some more exploring.
Thanks for the ideas.
Jeremy

Westly T

Second Unit
I noticed the Marantz web page still lists this unit, and there's no replacement. Are we sure this item is discontinued? Perhaps your dealer got bad information?? (I hope, because I plan to get a few more in the future and want them to match what I have.)
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Jeremy,
From what I've heard, both the MA 500 and MA 700 are discontinued. The replacement for the MA 500 is already out (MA 6100), with the MA 700 replacement due out shortly. The changes are mostly cosmetic, as Marantz wanted the amps to more closely resemble their current line of receivers and multi-channel amps. Again, this is what I've been told by my dealer. Don't quote me on this. TF

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Trey, I'll keep my eyes open.
Westley, I'm sure of it. The B&M had my money in hand so I'm sure they got the right info....no need to give the money back to me :)
I'm going to look at some 5 channel amps this weekend. Is it universal with 5 channel amps to be able to bridge the channels?
Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Tom,
Thanks for the TSTO recommendation...very cool site and it looks to be a good place to buy great used gear. Has anyone bought from them before?
I'll look at their feedback first, but there's some incredible deals to be had....BAT amps, Mac gear, etc. for 1/2 off MSRP...maybe even 75%! Folks that got sick of their Mark Levinson amps dumping them off for affordable prices....o.k. now I'm exagerrating a bit, but thanks again for the lead.
Trevor,
I'm going to look at Parasound this weekend...The Marantz MM9000 (?) looks good, a little lower in power/channel and the online specs don't say whether or not each channel is bridgable or not...acutually, I think I just answered my own question. You were talking about biwiring, and I've been thinking bridging the entire time. No need to answer my previous question on that....I see what you mean using the multi-channel amp to biwire the mains...
redface.gif

That's sounding better all the time.
Thanks again guys
Jeremy

Geoff Harris

Auditioning
TSTO is Stereo Trading Outlet in Jenkintown, PA. They are great to deal with but I think they are on vacation until the end of August. the URL is http://www.tsto.com
[Edited last by Geoff Harris on August 24, 2001 at 09:49 AM]

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Hmm, I have a vague memory of reading about those Parasound monoblocks on http://www.audioreview.com and it wasn't complimentary. Maybe I'm misremembering, but wouldn't hurt any prospective buyers to check I guess.
------------------
/Kimmo

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Hi guys
How would the MA700 compare to a B&K Reference 4420 amp sonically? Im looking for a cost effecttive amp for my center channel.
I know the 2 amps are arent in the same league but will the amps work well together?
Thanks
Earle
[Edited last by EarleD on August 24, 2001 at 04:33 PM]

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I own 5 of the Parasound 1201a's from Audio Advisor, had them for almost 2 years and they havent failed on me yet.
THey do take a lot of heat on Audio Review.com for bad build quality. All 5 of mine have worked flawlessly for 2 years, left powered on 24/7.
If you can find used Marantz ma700's, I think they are a better buy, due to potential build quality issues with the Parasounds....but brand new Parasounds will cost less and sound very good to my ears.
Jeff Peake

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks