What's new

Marantz AV9000 or Sony TA-E9000ES + P9000ES? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Just curious if there are any Marantz AV9000 owners out there.
I have a TA-E9000ES, and am mostly happy with it.
But if I want to add 5.1 analog capability for DVD-A and/or SACD, I'd need to get the 5.1 pre-amp P9000ES.
(Other thread on the P9000ES on HTF currently.)
So I could take the $450 and put it towards purchasing the P9000ES, or use it to "trade up" from my Sony to the Marantz, which has 5.1 analog capability already.
From what I have gathered, the AV9000 and TA-E9000ES are very comparable units. I have seen 2 comments on other forums (and maybe audioreview) that the AV9000 has better 2 channel stereo sound though. The Marantz has THX certification, and a "real" remote. But, the Sony's bass management is pretty flexible; how is the Marantz's?
Or would this mostly be considered a "lateral" move?
Any feedback would be appreciated! :)
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Allan- Yeah, I've seen that. And all the comments on the "Aussie" TA-E9000ES forum too.
I suppose one benefit of *not* switching DD/DTS pre/pro's, is that I don't have to switch connections and "learn to live" with another (different) piece of gear. Simply adding the P9000ES would be a lot "cheaper" time-wise.
But yes, only valid if I want to add DVD-A and/or SACD capability. (Which I'm still way on the fence about.)
Just curious as to comments from Marantz owners who have "lived" with their units a while...
------------------

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Kevin, with the P9000es added to your setup I would think music would be better with that setup VS the Marantz. Of course, if you have both DVD/audio and SACD, that would take up both of the 5.1 inputs on the p9000es. I am personlly going to use 1 of the inputs on the P9000es for LP playback and the other on what is hopefully a forthcoming DVD/audio/SACD combo that could use just the 1 input for both formats (I hope). The P9000es has another 2 channel input as well but that would require a seperate 2 channel preamp for that. With the Sony bass management, I think getting the Marantz would be a mistake.
So many wires, so little space!

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
The AV9000 is a fine unit - the decoding engine is very similar to the SR-14/18/19 series premium receivers. These THX beasties don't have ANY power issues unlike the normal line.
The AV9000 has relatively poor DSP (who cares?) and it is of the same vintage as the Sony 9000es. More a sidegrade than an upgrade.
There is a rumoured AV9200 due next year.
THX cutoff is 80Hz. No exceptions AFAIK.
I'm sticking with the Sony 9000es however I fear the Outlaw 950 will oust it very soon.
I can't see any worthwhile and economical upgrade except for the mythical 950.
T.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I like my Marantz AV9000. I've had it for over 2 years. If you choose to use analog inputs to the Marantz they are not digitized and sound as good as the player being utilized. My Sony DVP-S9000ES sounds very good playing SACD thru the unit. My Pioneer HLD-X9's analog outputs are very sweet thru the Marantz. My JVC 723 DVD-A sounds OK thru the 5.1 input. I'd like to replace it ultimately, the new Pioneer 747 is a possible contender....
When I bought the Marantz, the Sony pre was it's main competitor. The Denon 8000 was hideously overpriced and came with a POS remote to boot. The Marantz won out because of the very cool remote ultimately. The 5.1 input was a + too.
The stationary THX bass settings are OK by me. If you do LD, the Marantz also has a built-in AC-3 demodulator, same as the Sony. The Marantz's built-in tuner is very above average. All in all, I love it. I don't look forward to the day I'll need to upgrade it. Oh, I use a Smart Jr. EX unit with it, so that's one less upgrade urge. Changing one 9000 for the other might be somewhat of a lateral upgrade...but the Marantz proably handles analog signals a bit better than the Sony...? not really sure?
A Marantz 9200 sounds intresting! Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Kevin is "The Mule".....ahhhhhhhh.
The Outlaw 950 DOES look very good (will it EVER come out?) and that may be a better option at $900 than me purchasing the P9000es to add on to my E9000es setup at $475. Matter of fact, I could probably sell the E9000es (heaven forbid) and get the Outlaw for cheaper (with money from the sell) than it would cost to buy the P9000es. I AM a bit concerned about the OUtlaw only having 2 digital coax inputs (it does have 4 optical as well) but that may be ok.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There is a rumoured AV9200 due next year.
Interesting... :)
I am looking at Outlaw too. The problem? I just simply cannot believe everything it will (reportedly) have for the price! And it will have great sound too? Call me a skeptic, or say that I'm from Missouri (I'm not; no disrespect intended!), but I say: "Show me!"
The 1st few reviews of the 950 will be very interesting to see.
------------------

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Kevin
Just curious what HT shops you use in the South Bay? Mostly I buy up in the city either Eber Electronics or SF Stereo , both on Market.
FYI Eber carries Sony ES and SF Stereo carries Marantz.
Grant

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I am skeptical as well and would certainly wait for the reviews/comments to come out first. They are putting a lot of bang for the buck in that one box if they can pull off the quality.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Grant- Unfortunately, I don't typically buy components locally. (They are always jerks concerning pricing. I will not pay full price for anything! I don't even expect to get "internet" prices from local shops. But you gotta give me some kind of reasonable discount...)
But I do "cruise" Laserland and Magnolia down in SJ, and then there's a new SF Audio/Video (or something) up in Mt View that carries Rotel.
Got my TV at Video Only up in Redwood City (or San Mateo?). They have really good prices on DVD players too.
A local Good Guys had the TA-E9000ES and, for kicks I checked the software they had on it. Wasn't "labelled," so that means 1.0!
Charles- I'll give another 2 examples: I personally think that SVS should have a line of "more expensive" subs just so that the "snobs" take a look at them. And I almost didn't get the Vandersteen V2W sub I have now, because it was so much cheaper than the Velodyne HGS' that I had been using. (But "smoother" response, IMO.)
But... Just because a component is "value priced," doesn't mean it can't offer great performance and features! Just that for me, you got to prove it. I know it's stupid, but to me, easier to "rationalize" acceptable performance in a piece of gear that's more expensive. (As long as the build quality, etc., is commensurate with the price.)
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Grant- The one in Mt View *is* SF Stereo and Home Theater (?), I'm pretty sure!
Yup, Rotel there, but no Marantz! I did find Marantz at Sound Perfection in Mt View/Palo Alto. They really dissed the AV9000 last time I was there, though. Of course, they were trying to sell me the new Lexicon MC-12, until they found out how "poor" I was!
I have also found the B&K Ref 30 for around $2k. And that has most of the new formats.
But I don't think the TA-E9000ES is quite that obsolete yet either...
------------------

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>The 1st few reviews of the 950 will be very interesting to see.
I'm betting someone will be posting reviews within the first few hours RIGHT HERE!!!
I think we're all into high performance equipment here.
We're used to paying top dollar for good equipment, maybe we've occasionally got a good deal and paid little for execellent equipment (rare I know) or at worst, paid a lot for crap and at best, mediocre stuff (very common!)
So everyone is skeptical of a fully fitted budget preamp. I say hold on, wait for the new 950 and set it up side by side with the 9000 (Marantz or Sony!) and besides the new features of the 950, I think you'll be surprised how well the two old 9000's hold their own.
T.
A friend of mine from Missouri calls it the 'Blow Me' State. Obviously a big city fan...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Tony- When/if I eventually switch from the TA-E9000ES to my next pre/pro, it won't be because of expecting to get better performance. I'm more or less happy with that. More just to get the newer "formats." DPL II, Surround EX/DTS-ES, 5.1 analog inputs, etc.
Although with "add ons," we can get all of the above except for DPL II.
But personally, I don't like Sony. I don't like their crappy customer support, especially for ES components. I don't like the fact that, in general, people have to "make excuses" for Sony equipment. (The TA-E9000ES remote, and the fact that the E9000ES runs a little too hot. The dying TA-N9000ES's amps. The "chroma bug" in most of their DVD players. Etc.)
And, I *still* think there is maybe a problem with the bass management on the E9000ES. With software rev 1.18c, using the 20 Hz to 20 kHz sweeps on Avia (I think), the bass below the crossover freq is *not* sent to the sub for the center and rear channels. Only the mains. I haven't confirmed that for 2.01 though.
This is one reason why I was looking at Marantz. Aside from the recent S&V review of their receiver, I was under the impression that the AV9000 was more or less a "clean" piece of equipment.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks