What's new

Marantz and KEF: Save My Marriage (1 Viewer)

JohnBAIL

Grip
Okay, I'm about to make a decision and I'm looking for a little reassurance (well actually, just honest opinions).

I have a Marantz SR-9300 which I have matched with Energy Connoisseur C-7 fronts and the matching Energy centre. The problem is, my wife hates (I mean really hates) the look of the Connoisseurs. I must admit, I do sort of agree with her - they are huge black boxes that tend to dominate the room. They look ok from the front but are just too deep, meaning they look a little misshapen. The problem is they sound great.

I've looked at various options for a trade-in. The Tannoy Eyris 3's look good, but having listened to them I'm not convinced (the reviews are less than glowing too). The other option is the KEF Q7s (with a matching Q9c centre). I'm not mad about their looks, and they are a bit 'chunky' (with slightly too large a footprint), but in the maple colour I think they will appease the wife (and save my marriage!) and also sound pretty good.

Any views on whether the Marantz receiver will match these speakers? Any other options anyone can think of (at this point the money is probably less important than a maple/beech coloured speaker with a sexy footprint!)? Should I just get a divorce and be done with it!?

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
b and w have the best looking speakers i have seen. They also sound great. Out of my reach for a while but i am trying to convince my wife on them.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Yes I think you would be happy with the Q7's. They are alot sexier looking than the speakers you have. But some wife's dont care too much about looks. Lucky me. :D

What I would suggest is ask your wife what she thinks. But you may be afraid of her saying "I dont want speakers at all!" :angry:

By the way... marantz is kinda the same sound as denon, and we(soundtrack) pair kef and denon all the time with great results.

gregD

Second Unit

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
what about getting the connoisseur's in maple? Perhaps just getting a nice wood finish would appease the wife and you could keep the sound you love. I think Energy offers a couple of different finish options for the connoisseur line.

JohnBAIL

Grip
Thanks for the responses - my marriage is looking on firmer ground by the minute!

I have considered the Audio Monitors (silver and gold series) but the problem is that I'm currently in South Korea and they are only available in a mahogany colour here. I'd really like beech or maple to match the floorboards.

I've looked at B&W too and would go with them except that the matching centre speakers are too big. The centre speaker really needs to fit into my AV rack, which limits its height to 20cm (at most).

I've also considered the Energy's in a maple colour, but I'm still not sure they'd cut it. They look great from the front but from the side they just look too deep. I also sort of figure that if I have to replace my speakers to placate the wife, I may as well sneak in a bit of an upgrade at the same time!

Which brings me back to the Q7s. I guess what's making me hesitate is that I want to make sure they sound a bit better, or at least as good, as the Energys. I can't listen to them side by side so am just not sure.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Marantz is the US distributor for Mordaunt-Short speakers. I realize you're in South Korea, but I point this out because the company seems to agree with me that they are a good aural matchup. I have the MS 906 towers with my 6200 and they sound great, but I wish I had more power (like your 9300 :D ). I've heard the 906s with an Anthem amp, and they produced unbelievable sound, especially considering the price.

I have them in black, which looks great with the grills off. They're also available in Cherry.

JohnBAIL

Grip
Thanks for the input. I've almost settled on the B&W CM4 and matching centre. They look great, sound pretty good, and should mean that my children have a father for at least another few months (until the upgrade bug hits again!).

Are there any branches of audioholics anonymous in my area?

Alex F.

Second Unit
John:

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, my wife loves the products offered by Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics (see sumikoaudio.net for both). They are terrific sonically as well.

Relative to various Energy products I've auditioned (though not your units), the SF and VA speakers lean to the warmer side of neutral (with the possible exception of SF's Grand Piano Home floorstander, which is tipped up a bit in the upper midrange and lower treble region).

Finally, I hope you have a dealer in your area, as photos do not do either brand justice.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks