Many people who buy smart TVs don't use web features, survey says

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Collins, May 30, 2013.

1. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    Not surprisingly, Smart TV manufacturers need more intelligent marketing, according to a survey by Analysys Mason. Could it be that many consumers don't know how to hook up their Smart HDTV to their in the house network? Less than half of consumers who own a TV that come with applications to stream content from the web have connected their TV to the Internet. It's unclear how much monetization TV manufacturers hope to make off "smart TV's", probably in the form of applications, but less than half of their audience hooking up doesn't bode well. With tablets projected to outsell all PC (desktop and notebooks) by 2015, the appetite to purchase an applications for a TV seems sketchy. (note, smart phones outsold all PC's in 2012).

Some cable providers are also considering putting applications into their STB's, putting more pressure to use applications on Smart TV's, particularly since the STB's would most likely be connected to the internet without and extra connection.

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    They probably need to offer in home installation of ALL features, including their apps. In all fairness, installation of the apps is not exactly child's play.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I find the web browser cumbersome and slow to use on my Samsung plasma and i'm not interested that much in the smart hub features, occasionally i view BBC iPlayer or check the weather using the apps and i occasionally use the web browser but when i do i bring my wireless mouse downstairs and hook it up to a USB slot, makes all the difference as its unusable with the remote control and the way the browser works is sometimes a pain.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I got a 55" Panasonic Plasma ST50 a few months ago (which I love) and have no interest in the streaming stuff.

I've got so much content to watch via my Time-Warner DVR and shelves of unwatched films that the last thing I need is streaming. :D

I also just upgraded to a universal Pioneer player (to facilitate SACD & DVD-A content along with DVDs and Blus). It also comes with all kinds of streaming apps which I have no interest in.

MAYBE someday...but not today. And I highly doubt it. But maybe.

5. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    That says it for me. That stuff is not why I have my plasma and my BD player.Not interested.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Half the stuff isn't available outside of the U.S. For example, I believe my Panasonic has Hulu on it. I live in Canada. Hulu isn't available here,so it's useless as a streaming app. Most of the other ones are like that as well.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Without trying I have 3 devices connected to my set that will get Netflix, Hulu, etc. so I don't bother with it on my "smart tv".

My guess is that most buyers of smart tvs already have a BD player or game console that performs these functions just fine.

Once you get above entry-level tvs you're going to get "smart" features whether you want them or not. If you've already set up your game console or BD player for streaming you can ignore them on the tv. My set is web-connected but only for firmware updates.

8. Paul Pratt

Paul Pratt Stunt Coordinator

Paul Pratt
    I think having too many smart devices is more than likely the problem. By the time one gets a smart tv they more than likely already have a handful of devices that can access apps: AppleTV, Xbox, PS3, Wii, Tivo, etc. I think most people have already gotten comfortable with their preferred device and the tv becomes lost in the shuffle.

Bleddyn Williams likes this.
  9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    you could also say:

"many people that buy HDTVs don't use HD! ".