What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (2 Viewers)

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
For those enjoying this, the ranking of sales of the complete series moved way up since I last checked, essentially chopped in half:

[*]Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,156 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
[/list]

So, instead of having a Super Bowl party, people are buying the complete series of Mannix.

Cool!

This makes me so happy -- I absolutely love seeing this.

Who needs a groundhog when this is out there to warm a person's heart?

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Looks like sales of the complete series have cracked the top 1000 on Amazon -- actually it cracked the top 900!

[*]Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #876 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
[/list]

So sweet!

:)

I realize it is on sale, but this is still a very tough thing for a classic series that still costs over $100 to do.

As I've said here before, this series gets virtually no publicity, has no re-make, no follow-on movie, and is not in active re-runs (to my knowledge). It is not derived from a cartoon, a book series, nor its its major star well known for other things -- other movies and TV series.
All sales of this series come from word of mouth about it or people remembering it.

And people are still putting the DVD sales for this series in the top 1000 (top 900) on Amazon over a full year before the full series was released.

This has to speak directly to the quality of what is on those DVDs.

So very sweet, indeed.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This makes me think that CBS Home Video missed the boat by not offering an actual full-series set of MANNIX, perhaps one with a couple of extras to make it more enticing for those that bought the season sets. As it is, this package currently on sale looks to be just a bundling of the eight season sets - and it's still selling that way.

From other threads on HTF and elsewhere, I know of quite a number of fans of TV on DVD who refuse to buy individual seasons and always wait until the entire series is available. It runs counter to the way most shows have been marketed, but there remains a number of series sets that have stalled after a release or two.

There was some concern regarding MANNIX after the Mike Connors lawsuit stuff, and there was a pretty big delay in getting out one of the seasons (5, I think) so those who were waiting for the full series to be available at a reduced price could be the ones springing for the set now. The price of MANNIX's individual season sets was always rather high to begin with, often coming in at around $32 or so a season, when other series were down around $27. As I recall, there was a season or two of MANNIX that seemed to be commonly available at around the $27 price point.

It is indeed good to see that interest in MANNIX has not subsided.

Harry

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Harry-N said:
This makes me think that CBS Home Video missed the boat by not offering an actual full-series set of MANNIX, perhaps one with a couple of extras to make it more enticing for those that bought the season sets. As it is, this package currently on sale looks to be just a bundling of the eight season sets - and it's still selling that way.

From other threads on HTF and elsewhere, I know of quite a number of fans of TV on DVD who refuse to buy individual seasons and always wait until the entire series is available. It runs counter to the way most shows have been marketed, but there remains a number of series sets that have stalled after a release or two.

There was some concern regarding MANNIX after the Mike Connors lawsuit stuff, and there was a pretty big delay in getting out one of the seasons (5, I think) so those who were waiting for the full series to be available at a reduced price could be the ones springing for the set now. The price of MANNIX's individual season sets was always rather high to begin with, often coming in at around $32 or so a season, when other series were down around $27. As I recall, there was a season or two of MANNIX that seemed to be commonly available at around the $27 price point.

It is indeed good to see that interest in MANNIX has not subsided.

Harry
Harry,

Well, of course, I agree. It seems to me that Mannix was cheated out of extras at least to some degree because the series was so completely re-tooled for its second season. The extras almost all pertain to the first season, which far fewer people remember.

I would absolutely love to see, for example, MC doing a voiceover for one of the classic episodes like "The Sound of Darkness," "The Mouse That Died" or "Death is the Fifth Gear." And there must be some promotions lying around somewhere for the re-tooled version of the series.

I certainly remember some fun promos that used to run on CBS, especially in the fall.

I also wonder if Dianne Keaton would be willing to do one for "The Color of Murder." She specifically discussed that episode in her autobiography, and credits MC with helping her over a rough spot in the filming of that episode that, who knows, might have affected the trajectory of her career.

The big delay you are referring to actually took place between the release of seasons 3 and 4. Season 3 was released on October 27, 2009 and Season 4 was released on January 4, 2011. After that, the remainder of the seasons were released like clockwork -- every six months or less (in the case of season 8).

The season 5 release was announced in April 2011. The lawsuit was announced in May 2011 -- just about exactly one month after the season 5 release was announced.

People panicked, something well documented on this thread. I was the one holdout. I reasoned that the lawsuit would actually put pressure on CBS to release the rest of the series in a timely manner, since the lawsuit was about keeping profits down!

The season 6 announcement came right on time.

Hopefully, MC is enjoying the profits of these DVD sales.

Since Sunday, I've monitored the amazon ranking of the series. I don't have a script running to catch all updates of the webpage, but my casual monitoring reveals that sales have been quite good! I've never seen the ranking go below 1500 and I've seen it above 1000. It seems to spend most of its rime around 1100.

Here is what it is right now:

[*]Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,101 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
[/list]

Of course, the longer it floats around that kind of number during the week it is on sale, the better. That is actually quite a good number, especially since the complete series has been on sale for over a year now, and people are still buying it in good, perhaps even great, numbers (amazon sales rankings can be difficult to interpret, at times, because they use a weighted formula).

Yes, some people were waiting for the entire series to be released. I do that sometimes as well, although I also buy individual seasons of some series as they are released. Sometimes I also stop. Quite a few series had significantly lesser quality years the more they ran, something I remember all too well from watching them the first time around. (Of course, Mannix was one of those rare exceptions, especially for a series that ran so long.)

It is worth repeating that there was virtually no publicity about the release of season 8, thus about the full release of the series. I'm certain quite a few fans are not the least bit aware that season 8 was not included in the syndication packages and was not seen in the US since it originally aired. If they were more aware they might have been more curious about what they missed in the syndication runs, and just bought the whole thing.

But CBS never said a word about this potential selling point -- anywhere.

It bears repeating because it just amazes me -- there are currently no syndication runs of the series (of which I am aware), there has been no follow-on movie or TV series, the character is completely unique to the series (not from a book, cartoon or anywhere else), the series has been labeled as "one of the most violent" (an absurd mis-understanding of the nature and importance of violence in story) which puts tons of people off, people largely only know its main star via this one series, there is no gimmick surrounding the series for people to fondly remember as nostalgia, there has been virtually no publicity surrounding the series or its release. and with eight full seasons the series is not cheap even on sale.

So why are people buying this series?

There has to be a reason.

Here's hoping those people who sit down and watch this series on DVD, where they can see it better than was possible since it first aired, will take the time to consider what is behind this character. If even just a few of them are inspired by what they see there, we might just become better. That is the power of great story, after all. It is more than mere entertainment, more than just a reflection of the seamier side of life, Great story inspires us to be better versions of ourselves. That is the way we used to be, so much more than we are now.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
New high water mark (that I've seen -- I may have missed some):

[*]Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #773 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
[/list]

Wow. For all of the reasons listed in my previous email message, I think this is just amazing.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
It seems the Amazon collection "deal of the week" just got $5 cheaper.

It's now $114.99 with free shipping. But, it is also selling from a third party seller again.

The only thing I can figure out about this is that Amazon underestimated sales and ran out of stock -- and somehow that third party seller is able to sell at (in this case a bit below) the price Amazon stated for its deal. I can't believe Amazon would have stocked fewer copies than they thought would sell for their promotion.

Anyway, the sales have been hovering around the 1000 rank pretty much all week long, sometimes above and sometimes below. Currently, it sits at:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,168 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)

Sitting around that number all week long, perhaps it is not surprising Amazon ran out of stock.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Amazon has run out of Mannix the complete series!

They did not have enough in stock, even via third party sellers, to fulfill all orders during their promotion.

This is what you see on Amazon right now:

In stock on February 10, 2014.

The most recent sales data still have it around 1000, listed as:

[*]Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,075 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
[/list]

Sales have clearly been excellent, all week long.

Maybe next time Amazon will have more in stock before they run a promotion!

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Woah, it just flipped back to being in stock -- and also "ships and sold from Amazon." The price is also back up to $119.99 -- which was originally supposed to be the sale price before it mysteriously was reduced by $5 and sold from a third party vendor there for awhile.

What happened, did a forklift just deposit a crate full of the series? Quite a nice thought, actually.

You can't stop the river.

It just keeps rollin` along.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Amazon was still selling it during the time the third party seller had it at the top slot on the Amazon sales page. You have to scroll down the page to see a partial listing of other offers or click on the link for the Marketplace page which would have included the Amazon offer. It never ran out of stock from Amazon itself, but the listing was relegated beneath the big listing for the seller offering it at $114.99. I have no idea why Amazon allows a third party seller top billing when they themselves are still offering it, but they do sometimes. I picked it up for the $115 and mercifully no tax. Couldn't pass that up. Now to start watching and then reading the erudite posts in this thread, which I have pretty much avoided due to potential spoilers.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Professor Echo said:
Amazon was still selling it during the time the third party seller had it at the top slot on the Amazon sales page. You have to scroll down the page to see a partial listing of other offers or click on the link for the Marketplace page which would have included the Amazon offer. It never ran out of stock from Amazon itself, but the listing was relegated beneath the big listing for the seller offering it at $114.99. I have no idea why Amazon allows a third party seller top billing when they themselves are still offering it, but they do sometimes.

I picked it up for the $115 and mercifully no tax. Couldn't pass that up. Now to start watching and then reading the erudite posts in this thread, which I have pretty much avoided due to potential spoilers.
Glen,

Welcome back to the thread!

The strangeness and dynamics of Amazon are truly amazing.

Why would they bump their own promotion mid-week with a third party seller who was selling a few copies cheaper than the sale -- before running out? And why would they put their own item lower on the list?

And, in looking down that list, I noticed something else.

There seem to be some placeholder links for sales of the individual seasons. The placeholders have different prices that show up on the search page, but little to no content. When you open them up they are empty in terms of reviews and clearly are not for sale. For example, if on the Amazon page you do a search for "mannix fifth season" the search page gives you a link to the real item for sale, but also three completely bogus links. The bogus titles are:

MANNIX:FIFTH SEASON MANNIX:FIFTH SEASONhttp://www.amazon.com/MANNIX-FIFTH-...392084190&sr=8-2&keywords=mannix+fifth+season

MANNIX:5TH SEASON MANNIX:5TH SEASON

MANNIX-5TH SEASON MANNIX-5TH SEASON

OK, so I know we live in a cloud and the only way out is by picking the right search terms, but how do these bogus links help anything from Amazon's perspective?

Another note on the fluctuating price. On Monday of last week, I noticed an older series was finally for sale as a complete series. Being somewhat interested, purely for nostalgia sake, I decided to buy it -- it seemed to be a decent price so I plopped it in the cart and pulled the trigger. Just a couple of hours later I went to check something about the product -- and the price was $10 cheaper! This represented more than a 10% difference. I double-checked my order, thinking Amazon might have done right by me and reduced the price by $10 on my order, seeing as how it wasn't even shipped yet and I only ordered the thing a couple of hours before. But they didn't. I couldn't believe my eyes!

I was going to complain until I realized the order was not yet shipped -- and I just canceled the order. The whole thing felt so bad I have yet to reorder the item.

So, now the complete series of Mannix is selling on Amazon for $200.84. Earlier today it was selling for $199.99. In each case, it was shipped and sold from Amazon. Does this make any sense at all?

In any event, I'm glad you now have the series, and I look forward to your posts about it!

Also, thanks for the nice words about this thread.

Joe Mannix is a classy hero. He deserves a classy thread. :)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thank you, JoAnn. I look forward to being a healthy contributor to this great thread once I start digging into the show. Of course, I'm starting from the first season and haven't seen it since it originally aired when I was just a little kid, so some of my observations and deductions may be old news here for the regulars. At least I'll try to help inspire the discussion to continue along the same learned path it has been. :)

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Professor Echo said:
Thank you, JoAnn. I look forward to being a healthy contributor to this great thread once I start digging into the show. Of course, I'm starting from the first season and haven't seen it since it originally aired when I was just a little kid, so some of my observations and deductions may be old news here for the regulars. At least I'll try to help inspire the discussion to continue along the same learned path it has been. :)
Glen,

:)

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Mark Collins said:
For JoAnn and Harry and other Mannix fans

Please enjoy!

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/shows/mannix
Mark,

Thanks for posting this!

Now I wonder -- is this page new?

I saw these interviews a couple of years back, but I'm not sure if I found them from this page or from searching for "Mannix" and coming across those interviews one at a time. Some of them are pretty good.

One thing I don't recall is the rather lame link they have to the Mannix Wikipedia page. That Wikipedia page notoriously includes errors, and yet it is pointed to by a place that wants to archive the history of television!

Notice how they describe the length of Mannix episodes as: Running time 45–48 minutes.

Nope. They ran for a full 50 minutes, except for season 7 when a black cat crossed Mannix's path...

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
So, I've been fascinated lately with the sets used for series like Mannix -- driven by interest in Mannix, of course. But, the whole concept of how the sets disappear into the background of the story fascinates me. Watching series on TV back then, without the ability to freeze frames, you hardly noticed the sets. And studios counted on that.

We've discussed this in the thread before with respect to oft-used houses in LA.

But, I've become fascinated with other series filmed on the Paramount lot. Aside from Mission: Impossible, I found another one. The Mod Squad filmed there, in its first few seasons anyway. Later it moved to another studio. It was an Aaron Spelling production (his first, I believe). So he must have been renting space.

That's another curious thing, actually -- how series just pack up and move to filming in a different studio, and you never notice!

Some of the episodes unabashedly have the leading characters of The Mod Squad in the Paseo, sitting around the fountain. In the background is Joe's office door, but they put some tile on the bottom to make it look just different enough from a distance. One time they even put up a different sign -- same color and font as the sign for the Paseo Verde, but it said "The Arcade."

OK, so it's one thing to share all those other venues on the Paramount lot -- the western streets, the New York streets, generic facades and outsides of office buildings used for... well Paramount. But sharing the Paseo?

Get those kids out of the Paseo!

Oh, yea.... those kids are now about 30 years younger than I am now...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The MOD SQUAD producers probably figured that much of the younger demographic that watched their show wouldn't have a clue who MANNIX was or where he lived/worked, so if the Paseo set wasn't in use then it was fair game.

In recent days, I've completed two of the last three MANNIX episodes. "Design For Dying" was one I'd started a couple of weeks ago but hadn't gotten around to finishing. That episode intrigued me based on the cast. Barbara Rush was a well-known actress who I got to appreciate through her work as Lt. Gerard's wife "Marie" in the two-part episode of THE FUGITIVE called "Landscapes With Running Figures". And her husband here, Dennis Patrick, had also done a quick role in a FUGITIVE ("Storm Center"), but I was more familiar with him as the roguish "Jason McGuire" from the gothic soap DARK SHADOWS.

This episode was also much more like a standard MANNIX episode with its base in L.A., interactions with Peggy, and the twists and turns of the plot. I let the next episode play as I'd gotten comfortable on the couch and it was kind of rainy out yesterday. I saw most of "Search For A Dead Man" but have to confess nodding off in the middle. I'll need to go back and revisit that one some day when I'm looking for a MANNIX fix. Familiar faces here were John Hillerman, Paul Mantee, and Robert Symonds. The lovely Mary Wilcox had done two other turns in MANNIX over the years. Again we got to see Peggy feed Joe a line that helped solve the case.

Just one more left - and I'm not all that eager to run it, but I will endeavor to do so sometime in the next week or so.

Harry

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
jompaul17 said:
Harry,

Well, of course, I agree. It seems to me that Mannix was cheated out of extras at least to some degree because the series was so completely re-tooled for its second season. The extras almost all pertain to the first season, which far fewer people remember.

Maybe Paramount and CBS though that nobody would care about anything but the first season of the series, or that Mannix is not as legendary as Star Trek (compare fandoms and relative popularity, and you'll see what I mean.)

I would absolutely love to see, for example, MC doing a voiceover for one of the classic episodes like "The Sound of Darkness," "The Mouse That Died" or "Death is the Fifth Gear." And there must be some promotions lying around somewhere for the re-tooled version of the series.

I certainly remember some fun promos that used to run on CBS, especially in the fall.

Most of those promos were never remastered for video, since they were considered to be disposable (and nobody in the past though that anybody would want to be seeing old promos of a TV show

I also wonder if Dianne Keaton would be willing to do one for "The Color of Murder." She specifically discussed that episode in her autobiography, and credits MC with helping her over a rough spot in the filming of that episode that, who knows, might have affected the trajectory of her career.

I don't think that being on Mannix means a lot to her, otherwise she would have said something about it in interviews.

The big delay you are referring to actually took place between the release of seasons 3 and 4. Season 3 was released on October 27, 2009 and Season 4 was released on January 4, 2011. After that, the remainder of the seasons were released like clockwork -- every six months or less (in the case of season 8).

The season 5 release was announced in April 2011. The lawsuit was announced in May 2011 -- just about exactly one month after the season 5 release was announced.

People panicked, something well documented on this thread. I was the one holdout. I reasoned that the lawsuit would actually put pressure on CBS to release the rest of the series in a timely manner, since the lawsuit was about keeping profits down!

The release of the DVD sounds like a coincidence, and the comment is conjecture.

Curious, that; why didn't he try and do something else besides Mannix all of these years? You don't see Shatner and Nimoy (for example) only do Star Trek; they tried to do other things, too.

Since Sunday, I've monitored the Amazon ranking of the series. I don't have a script running to catch all updates of the webpage, but my casual monitoring reveals that sales have been quite good! I've never seen the ranking go below 1500 and I've seen it above 1000. It seems to spend most of its rime around 1100.

[/list]

Of course, the longer it floats around that kind of number during the week it is on sale, the better. That is actually quite a good number, especially since the complete series has been on sale for over a year now, and people are still buying it in good, perhaps even great, numbers (amazon sales rankings can be difficult to interpret, at times, because they use a weighted formula).

Yes, some people were waiting for the entire series to be released. I do that sometimes as well, although I also buy individual seasons of some series as they are released. Sometimes I also stop. Quite a few series had significantly lesser quality years the more they ran, something I remember all too well from watching them the first time around. (Of course, Mannix was one of those rare exceptions, especially for a series that ran so long.)

It is worth repeating that there was virtually no publicity about the release of season 8, thus about the full release of the series. I'm certain quite a few fans are not the least bit aware that season 8 was not included in the syndication packages and was not seen in the US since it originally aired. If they were more aware they might have been more curious about what they missed in the syndication runs, and just bought the whole thing.

As I've said above, maybe Mannix not being as popular as Star Trek or I Love Lucy is a factor in sales.

It bears repeating because it just amazes me -- there are currently no syndication runs of the series (of which I am aware), there has been no follow-on movie or TV series, the character is completely unique to the series (not from a book, cartoon or anywhere else), the series has been labeled as "one of the most violent" (an absurd mis-understanding of the nature and importance of violence in story) which puts tons of people off, people largely only know its main star via this one series, there is no gimmick surrounding the series for people to fondly remember as nostalgia, there has been virtually no publicity surrounding the series or its release. and with eight full seasons the series is not cheap even on sale.

The show not being as popular as other older shows I've mentioned is a factor, as is that fact that it wasn't rerun as much as the other older shows.

Here's hoping those people who sit down and watch this series on DVD, where they can see it better than was possible since it first aired, will take the time to consider what is behind this character. If even just a few of them are inspired by what they see there, we might just become better. That is the power of great story, after all. It is more than mere entertainment, more than just a reflection of the seamier side of life, Great story inspires us to be better versions of ourselves. That is the way we used to be, so much more than we are now.

Conjecture and speculation based on nostalgia on your part. You have no idea what moves people to watch Mannix on DVD, and are just guessing.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Harry,

Maybe Paramount and CBS though that nobody would care about anything but the first season of the series, or that Mannix is not as legendary as Star Trek (compare fandoms and relative popularity, and you'll see what I mean.)

Most of those promos were never remastered for video, since they were considered to be disposable (and nobody in the past though that anybody would want to be seeing old promos of a TV show

I don't think that being on Mannix means a lot to her, otherwise she would have said something about it in interviews.

The release of the DVD sounds like a coincidence, and the comment is conjecture.

Curious, that; why didn't he try and do something else besides Mannix all of these years? You don't see Shatner and Nimoy (for example) only do Star Trek; they tried to do other things, too.

Since Sunday, I've monitored the Amazon ranking of the series. I don't have a script running to catch all updates of the webpage, but my casual monitoring reveals that sales have been quite good! I've never seen the ranking go below 1500 and I've seen it above 1000. It seems to spend most of its rime around 1100.

[/list]Of course, the longer it floats around that kind of number during the week it is on sale, the better. That is actually quite a good number, especially since the complete series has been on sale for over a year now, and people are still buying it in good, perhaps even great, numbers (amazon sales rankings can be difficult to interpret, at times, because they use a weighted formula).

As I've said above, maybe Mannix not being as popular as Star Trek or I Love Lucy is a factor in sales.

The show not being as popular as other older shows I've mentioned is a factor, as is that fact that it wasn't rerun as much as the other older shows.

Conjecture and speculation based on nostalgia on your part. You have no idea what moves people to watch Mannix on DVD, and are just guessing.
Sky Captain,

Oh, how nice to see your post. I was beginning to think I wasn't bothering people anymore!

It's nice to see you are doing so well.

But, I do worry about you. The difference between discussion of hypothesis and the reporting of facts is, well, sort of obvious to most people, to include understanding the different roles of each in discourse.

If you are having some difficulty distinguishing those two, resulting in the need to point out the obvious to others as a check of your own cognitive functioning or overall capacity, then I might start to worry about your ability to handle other simple cognitive tasks, like, for example, proper use of quotation tools in editors.

Oh, sorry....

Well, maybe get a good night's sleep.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Mike Conners did do some stuff after Mannix, some films, like Avalanche Express, and made-tv movies, as well as another series, The New F.B.I. In any event, maybe people are buying the series today simply because its better than most of the stuff on tv today.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
davidHartzog said:
Mike Conners did do some stuff after Mannix, some films, like Avalanche Express, and made-tv movies, as well as another series, The New F.B.I. In any event, maybe people are buying the series today simply because its better than most of the stuff on tv today.
David,

Thanks for the post, and yes, you are right. I didn't bother to answer any particulars of the previous post except to point out its inherent absurdities, because once someone has established credentials as being less than cogent, it makes no sense to try to reason with them.

Since you brought it up, I will summarize a few things that have been said in this thread before, and add a couple of fresh observations.

First, Mannix was an extremely difficult series to do. If someone can come up with another series that combined so much action with the emotional response of its sole leading character, ran for at least eight seasons, and had virtually no supporting cast that could carry very many scenes, please do let me know. I cannot think of another. I saw an interview of MC on the The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson that aired shortly after Mannix was canceled. MC told Carson how he wanted to spend some time at home, something he did not do enough of during the previous eight years. He only married once, and they have been married since 1949. That, too, might be unmatched in Hollywood.

Second, MC had starred in movies before he did Mannix. His desire to do Mannix was, at the beginning, designed to help his movie career. I've seen articles from those days to that effect. He had only planned to do the series for a short time. I do not think he thought he would become so identified with Joe Mannix so that people could not see him in any other role. But, that was true of even me! I followed the other things he did. But I always wanted to see Joe Mannix. Because that role was a tour de force, it became very difficult for him to match. By contrast, how many other captains and first officers of the Enterprise have there been?

Third, I won't go into the variety of stuff other actors are willing to do. But, I will say that Mannix was one of the classiest shows ever aired on television, and, since it was built around the alter-ego of its main star, it would not surprise me if that star was more selective than some others, not willing to do just anything for a buck. That was, after all, what its main character was all about -- and yet another reason why I love the show so much. There was something genuine behind it.

Fourth, previous posts on this thread have documented what happened with MC's only son. I read articles during the first run of Mannix about just how much he loved his son. What happened occurred right around the time Mannix ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks