What's new

Managing enormous CD collections? (1 Viewer)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I have about 2,000 CDs and growing. I keep them in Can-Am cabinets, each of which hold 360 CDs. They keep them out of the way in the basement, and don't take up a lot of room.

The problem comes in adding in new CDs, which I (try to) do weekly. If I buy the Fiona Apple CD, I have to move everything for 10 shelves worth, or have to eventually (if I keep spare room in each drawer).

My question is, other than just adding new CDs to the first empty drawer, is there any way people manage their large collections without moving all of their CDs all the time? It's a drag, I don't have the time, etc.

I have put my whole collection on my hard drive, so I don't have too much of a need to go back into my CDs, but still, it would be nice if there was a way to keep organized without it being a full-time job.

Any ideas?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I basically leave gaps on my shelves, so I don't have to rearrange my collection continuously when I get new CDs.

Jason

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have a new system that started with buying an iMac G5. Delicious Library allows one to use the bar code on CDs and DVDs to scan in information. I did my entire 1,200 CD collection in two afternoons. It's pretty cool and very cheap to buy.

For physical storage I use Ikea Billy bookshelves with CD inserts for "cubic" storage (128 discs per shelf).

Here's a link to the collections software: www.delicious-monster.com

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I researched Delicious Library earlier this year after seeing it featured on the MacBreak podcast #1 (MacWorld SF 2006 broken down)

It appears to be a great program, and I would have bought it if I had planned on keeping CD's around, but again, thanks to Mac's, I've been buying up everything in sight on iTunes.

(looking for a backup for that now too tho)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah I have used a IKEA Billy and just shifted everything over when I add discs. But the CD collection has outgrown the one Billy (even with the height extension), especially after putting more and more DVDs in it and thereby decreasing the CD storage.

I'm considering much larger custom furniture. (I personally wouldn't buy another Billy given that I'm underwhelmend with its laminated particle board construction. Given its small footprint and especially when loaded with media and crowned by a height extension, it's not the most stable piece.)

But this doesn't solve your issue, Stu. I'm not sure there is an "answer" other than using multiple smaller cabinets and leaving room in/on each shelf for growth.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
It's completely contrary to every instinct in my collecting body, but I'm getting close to just adding new CDs to the next available shelf and then noting their location in an iTunes field. It's a rare, rare thing for me to pull out a CD these days - I use my Roku Soundbridge and have the entire collection at my fingertips. But I can't get comfortable with not organizing my collection...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
When I moved from New Jersey to Florida, I just took all of my 1500 or so CDs and put them into those CD binders (I unfortunately tossed the jewel cases -- 10 garbage bags worth!). They are in no order whatsoever! Every now and then I think about trying to order them, but it's just not worth it. When I want to listen to music, I just pull out a binder (they all look the same on the shelf) and flip through it until something catches my eye. (More often these days I'll pop in a concert DVD, although that collection is starting to get overly bloated as well.)

It is REALLY nice having nearly all of my discs fit on two small shelves (they fill up about 8 or 9 binders), even if it's practically impossible to dig up a particular disc.

I won an iPod a few months ago and put a bunch of songs onto it, so I do have a way of listening to something specific now, even if it is only a small fraction of my full collection.

New CDs usually end up in the car. :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
For physical stoarge, like Lee, I use a Ikea "Billy" bookcase with the optional CD storage inserts.....

In additional, I also have 4 CD cases, each having the capacity of about 120, made of pine in my closet. Then there's the Case Logic spinner with 240 disc capacity.

I also use my scanner to scan the cover of each of my CD/SACD and then storing them on my Yahoo! Photos account (which has no storage limits). This allows me to present "slideshows" of my collection to the public and also have an accounting of my CD/SACD inventory, in case anything happens (knock on wood).

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
I leave intentional gaps for future purchases, as well.

I have one shelf section dedicated to my recent purchases. These get moved into my genre-separated and alphabetized collection when I no longer consider them to be "new".

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Here's an idea that might work if you organize by artist and have spare empty drawers. Divide them up in groups, i.e. A-D, E-H, etc. When one group fills up a drawer, insert an empty drawer and shift the others down.

I have absolutely no organization to my DVD or CD collection and its out of control. What do you suggest for someone just now trying to organize? I am slightly overwhelmed and when I say its a mess... I do mean it. I need to snap a picture but then you will all know just how bad it really is LOL

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about 2,000 CDs, but an Escient server can link three Sony 400-disc changers. Once you hook up the changers and connect to the Internet, the Escient retrieves all the CD info including track names and cover art and stores it on its hard drive. Then, whenever you want to play something, you use the keyboard remote and type in the first few letters of the artist (or song, or album, etc.) and the Escient instructs the CD changers to play the proper disc.

It also gives you the ability to rip the entire 1200 discs to its internal hard drive, either as MP3s or lossless files. And you can connect the whole thing to your PC as well. The only downside is price. It's about $2,000 (not including the CD changers) but you can find deals on eBay for less than $1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks