What's new

Man it's gettin' hot in here! (1 Viewer)

PaulcM

Auditioning
any ideas for cooling my new receiver? i looked at rat shack for fans. any other place? i drilled 3 3.5" holes in the side of the stand to get more air flow, but the receiver doesn't have alot of room. after a new receiver and 4 new speakers the budget won't allow new furniture thats more component friendly.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Can you put your receiver on top of the stand? I don't mean on the top shelf within the stand, but on top of the whole stand unit. That would allow it to be in the open.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I personally keep all my amps/receivers in the open. Use your stand for your components and figure a way to have your receiver on a seperate table or even a shelve. An old coffee table or even a cheap little planter stand or end table from the Dollar Store might be made to work. Theres always a way and once you do this, overheating worries and problems are a thing of the past. If your worried about aesthetics, let me remind you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The appearance of your receiver in full view is not only attractive but much more accessable.

PaulcM

Auditioning
the WAF won't allow a seperate piece of furniture. so i'm looking at blowing air across it. it's a 36" tube tv on a short stand.

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
I would try putting the receiver lower in the rack, because the hot air mainly comes from the receiver and if it is lower, it will be in cooler air.

Maybe postion the fans towards the top and suck the hot air out.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Some people buy DC fans and a Radio Shack "Battery Eliminator" or "Universal Power Supply" that has an adjustable voltage. Wire up the fans, use the battery eliminator and adjust the voltage DOWN until you cannot hear the fans.

If you have room, mount the fans on the INSIDE of your rack so the ugly fans are not visible to curious children or pets. If you search the internet you can find supply companies that rate fans by the noise and sell snap-on foam filters to help reduce dust incursion if you align the fans to blow into the rack.

If nothing else, a small, plastic fan (box style or clip-on) works great for the short term, although you can hear the fan running during quiet parts of a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks