What's new

MAN FROM ATLANTIS docked at The Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Warner Archive has two THE MAN FROM ATLANTIS collections available for pre-order, July 26 release date. - TV Movies Collection - The Complete Series

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
That's good news, thanks for posting it.

This might be the other WB series which Warner Archive hinted at on their Facebook wall recently.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, this news has made my entire year! Thank you for posting this! I haven't seen the series or other three TV movies (I have the pilot) since they originally aired so I'm VERY excitied for this!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Glad I didn't buy their stand-alone pilot disc when it came out. I just knew the rest would be along later and already had the pilot on the old VHS release. I'm kind of surprised they're putting this out before Logan's Run, since that one had already been mentioned as "in the works"...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching my Archives copy of the pilot. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Was always curious about this show and it turned out to be a rare thing that didn't disappoint. It was OMG! amazing, but it was perfect lazy Sunday afternoon fodder. From the looks of the tiny clip WB posted for the new TV movies set, there looks to be a huge difference in image over the earlier pilot release that I have- darker, more color saturated. The deal is supposedly only for a limited time, but even after that the usual discount for members should apply knocking $5 off the two sets. Since I have to bundle in another title to get free shipping now, the discount is basically a wash as opposed to waiting for a free ship coupon or 5/$50 sale for the other title. But I did enjoy what I've seen so far and looking forward to seeing more.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I just checked out the movie release on the WBShop. It shows up as $22.45 for me with free shipping. I wasn't planning on getting it yet but I decided to go ahead with it at that price. Usually it is the shipping that kills the deal at WB which is why I normally wait for coupons. I don't know why the shipping was free in this case, I didn't combine it with anything. I remember this when it first broadcast. I remember liking the new take on swimming and tried it in the pool myself as a kid. While it wasn't very effective it looked cool.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I received my sets today. I popped the discs in to do a quick check, and I was extremely pleased with what I saw. The remastered pilot movie is a huge improvement over the previous WBA stand-alone release. While that version wasn't terrible, it was littered with film scratches and rather faded colors. The pilot movie in the new "TV Movie Collection" is bursting with saturated colors—perhaps even oversaturated, and the scratches are gone. The other TV movies in the set and the 13 episodes from "The Complete Series" set look just as good. The episodes have their original pre-title teasers, and appear to be uncut (based on their approximate 49-minute running times). The quality of these transfers is right up with the best from the era. It makes me wish WB's other general-release TV titles looked this good.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I'm glad to hear it, Matt. Personally I am surprised that they didn't do these sets as normal releases. There were not that many episodes and Man from Atlantis is well a well remembered series. Anybody know when Search (control) is coming out? Thanks.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I forgot to mention the packaging and menu designs have been greatly improved over previous WBA releases. The early WBA releases all shared a generic-looking blue background graphic for their packaging, and a simplistic template was used for their menus. Later releases ditched the blue background for the front cover (keeping it for the spine and back cover). The last few WBA titles I've received have completely redesigned packaging and menus, and show-specific color disc labels—making them more attractive and looking like traditional releases. Man From Atlantis features the newer packaging and menu designs. The "Movie Collection" is only two discs and the "Complete Series" set is on four discs. They could have been released as a "Complete Collection" in a six-disc set, but I'm not complaining. I'm just happy to finally have them all in such great quality.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
MattHR said:
I forgot to mention the packaging and menu designs have been greatly improved over previous WBA releases. The early WBA releases all shared a generic-looking blue background graphic for their packaging, and a simplistic template was used for their menus. Later releases ditched the blue background for the front cover (keeping it for the spine and back cover). The last few WBA titles I've received have completely redesigned packaging and menus, and show-specific color disc labels—making them more attractive and looking like traditional releases. Man From Atlantis features the newer packaging and menu designs. The "Movie Collection" is only two discs and the "Complete Series" set is on four discs. They could have been released as a "Complete Collection" in a six-disc set, but I'm not complaining. I'm just happy to finally have them all in such great quality.
Are they the usual single-layer discs or dual-layer?

MattHR

Screenwriter
AndyMcKinney said:
Are they the usual single-layer discs or dual-layer?
They're all DL except for the last disc of the series set (only 2 eps on that one).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
MattHR said:
They're all DL except for the last disc of the series set (only 2 eps on that one).
Although that's a plus as far as bitrate goes, aren't dual-layer -/+R discs less reliable than their single-layer cousins? I can understand wanting to keep the disc count down, but I worry about reliability.

MattHR

Screenwriter
AndyMcKinney said:
Although that's a plus as far as bitrate goes, aren't dual-layer -/+R discs less reliable than their single-layer cousins? I can understand wanting to keep the disc count down, but I worry about reliability.
This is my first experience with DL DVD-R. I've always been concerned over the longevity of recordable discs vs. manufactured ones, with DL being a bit more worrisome. I have discs that I recorded over five years ago that still play fine, although a few of them work better in some players than others. I'm not sure if it's a sign of the media failing or hardware compatibility issues. I finished watching the four MFA pilot movies, and scanned through a few more episodes. The quality of the transfers is truly amazing. I'd rank them with the best ones I've seen from Paramount (Barnaby Jones, Hawaii 5-0). On the second movie, at the 1:52 point at the beginning, there was a slight freeze during playback. It appears to be the layer change point, but it stalled for a bit longer than normal. It would seem odd to have the layer change at that point, since the disc only contains two 90-minute movies that should each be on its own layer. Maybe someone else can check to see if that brief pause is at the same point on their copy. Another nice change is that WB placed chapter markers at the commercial break-points, rather than the previous norm of 5-minute intervals for their MOD releases. It's just an all-around excellent presentation of a MOD release. :tu:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
MattHR said:
On the second movie, at the 1:52 point at the beginning, there was a slight freeze during playback. It appears to be the layer change point, but it stalled for a bit longer than normal. It would seem odd to have the layer change at that point, since the disc only contains two 90-minute movies that should each be on its own layer. Maybe someone else can check to see if that brief pause is at the same point on their copy.
That is very troubling if that is truly where the layer change is. It makes absolutely no sense to place one there, when they could place it in between the two movies. The only reason I can see is a purely selfish one (perhaps making it a little more inconvenient for people to pirate or back-up the discs). Then again, WB may have no idea where the layer change is. I know with earlier Doctor Who releases, the Restoration Team always sent notes to the authoring house as to where to put the layer change (usually, between episodes), and when the discs hit the shelves, their instructions were ignored and placed mid-episode somewhere, until finally one day the layer changes were moved to be in-between episodes like they should be. I'd really like to own this show, but these dual layer discs (given they're -R rather than pressed) might be a deal breaker.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
AndyMcKinney said:
That is very troubling if that is truly where the layer change is. It makes absolutely no sense to place one there, when they could place it in between the two movies. The only reason I can see is a purely selfish one (perhaps making it a little more inconvenient for people to pirate or back-up the discs). Then again, WB may have no idea where the layer change is. I know with earlier Doctor Who releases, the Restoration Team always sent notes to the authoring house as to where to put the layer change (usually, between episodes), and when the discs hit the shelves, their instructions were ignored and placed mid-episode somewhere, until finally one day the layer changes were moved to be in-between episodes like they should be. I'd really like to own this show, but these dual layer discs (given they're -R rather than pressed) might be a deal breaker.
I don't see how the location of the layer change would negatively impact pirating or backing up a disk. To any software it is just files to be copied. Now to actually create a disk and force files to specific locations on the disk I think would take a bit more work then a straight copy. So I think it is more about what is easiest to do then trying to be inconvenient. I have the disks so I will have to check out that spot, but I haven't noticed a layer change on any disks for many years now. I've just assumed most players these days had sufficient buffers to make any layer change delay no longer perceptible. Of course it is still possible it isn't a layer change at all.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am still waiting for the set to become available on Canada. I have it on my purchase schedule.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Checked my disk last night and no pause at the 1:52 point of the second movie.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Andy, I'm wondering if we both read about DVD-R DL media being less reliable than SL in the same place? I can't remember where I first saw it, maybe even somewhere on HTF, but to date that's been the ONLY place I have ever seen any mention of this. I took it as gospel for awhile, but could never find any solid substantiation for it. Perhaps it's a legitimate concern, but it could also be a myth. As we know there are plenty of the latter online. The evidence is, at best, conflicting and, at least, pure conjecture or invention. My issues with the DVD-R programs are more about the high price points for bare bones releases, not the reliability or lack of same thereof in the materials. However, I would recommend that if anyone buys these to make at least one backup of each title. And if anyone knows of any verifiable information with regards to the longevity of DVD-R DL media, please point me to it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
AndyMcKinney said:
Glad I didn't buy their stand-alone pilot disc when it came out. I just knew the rest would be along later and already had the pilot on the old VHS release. I'm kind of surprised they're putting this out before Logan's Run, since that one had already been mentioned as "in the works"...
I think there are persistent rumors of a Logan's Run theatrical remake, and maybe that's what's stalling the dvd release. Right now it's supposedly in the works for 2014 starring Ryan Gosling and Rose Byrne. And that doesn't make the least bit of sense, because in the remake, they're going back to the book and having Last Day be at age 21. Ryan Gosling is almost 31 and Rose Byrne just turned 32! Likely they'll have to recast before/if this thing ever gets off the ground. But I have zero interest in the remake--I just want to see the tv show on dvd--especially the last few episodes which I never got to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks