What's new

Man apologizes for knocking over 4-year-old to retrieve foul ball (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Well, with most animals isn't it the mother you have to worry about? :) The video portions I saw the boy's mother gave the guy a couple swats with her program.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Say what you want (within reason) about the guy or the boy, but please refrain from personal remarks about forum members.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
IMO, the stocky guy almost splashed the kid (actually, he did knock into the kid as he retieved the ball) as he jumped into the row where the kid was standing around. Knocking the kid showed that he did not have a care in the world while getting the ball. IMO, he is lucky that the kid wasn't hurt during the incident. What an idiot!

Dave

RobR

Second Unit

Looks to me that she gave the guy a couple swats with her program because his head was between her legs, not because she was concerned about her child's safety (I don't care what she said afterwards; I judge people on what they do, not what they say). Notice how when the ball went under the seat that the mother appeared primarily focused on the ball rather than her child (she might have wanted to catch it). Also, why would the kid be one seat apart from the mother even before the guy dived to retrieve the ball?

Kami

Screenwriter
As bad as this is for the little kid, I find is hilarious that they make this nation-wide news and everyone starts talking about it. Do they really have nothing better to talk about?

You know it's a slow news day when.........

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Agreed. The headlines make it sound as though the guy intentionally attacked the kid to prevent him from getting the ball, which doesn't seem to be what happened at all.

I think he was reckless, and I do think the right thing to do would have been to let the kid have the ball, but come on.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enought to get TWO fouls from Paul Molitor in his last year hitting for the Twins, in the same game. Each one was a clean catch, no controversy, but both went to kids a few seats away. Seems the right thing to do for everyone. This guy is a dick.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
ColinM

My point exactly in telling my story above. Give the ball to a kid nearby, even if he/she or the father/molther doesn't know the words "thank you".

ColinM

Senior HTF Member

*shrug*

Keep it! No harm in that - kids gotta deal with good and bad. I have no problem telling my 2 yr old NO, so that when it's time to say YES, it actually may mean something.

Come to think of it, the wifey pulls that trick on me...

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Seems like people these days are making it the new national pastime to Armchair Quarterback the hell outta everything.

I'm not saying the guy's a saint or a dick. I WASN"T THERE! And I don't feel qualified to judge a man from a 15 second video clip played on the news! Everyone should know by now that 15 seconds isn't enough to tell the whole story (about ANYTHING).

Oh, and who hasn't ever done anything they've regretted later?

The world would be a better place if everyone took the time to walk in the other guy's shoes once in a while.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Why is everyone focusing on the actual act of the guy jumping for the ball? It's the fact that he acted like a complete asshole after doing it.

The kid's mom said something like "you just knocked my kid over" or something like that. He then says "So what", and starts gloating over the fact that he was a big man and caught the ball.

A DECENT person would have at least said "I'm sorry for knocking you over, are you O.K.?" or something like that. His main priority, even after catching the ball was to gloat about it.

You need to be aware of your surroundings before you start diving for stupid foul balls.

RobR

Second Unit

Yes, true, so he behaved like a dick afterwards. But notice how when the man dived to catch the ball that the kid's mom was primarily focused on the ball (or him being between her legs) rather than her kid's safety. So much for her concern about "knocking her kid over."

This is precisely why I judge people by what they do, not what they say.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Well gosh, why don't we jsut blame the batter for hitting the ball in that general diretion. Or blame the pitcher for pitching the ball.

Yes, the man knocked over a little kid. Yes, he may have put himself in an akward position with the woman (which would warrant the hit with the program). But I'm pretty sure just about every one of us would have done the same thing. As Marque put it, almost everyone wants to catch a fly ball at a game, and most will go out of their way to do so.

What we should be focusing on is the fact that this man failed to apologize or show any regret for what he did. If I were to knock a couple people over to catch a ball, I certainly would apologize to anyone I hit or wronged. Why is it that the news has to twist and blow up these stories... oh yes, because it makes good news. "Man dives and knocks over 4 year old for a foul ball" (which, by the way, the kid was clearly still standing, and wasn't knocked over) is a much better selling point than "Man accidentaly falls on 4 year old for foul ball", now isn't it?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Well gosh, why don't we jsut blame the batter for hitting the ball in that general diretion. Or blame the pitcher for pitching the ball.

Yes, the man knocked over a little kid. Yes, he may have put himself in an akward position with the woman (which would warrant the hit with the program). But I'm pretty sure just about every one of us would have done the same thing. As Marque put it, almost everyone wants to catch a fly ball at a game, and most will go out of their way to do so.

What we should be focusing on is the fact that this man failed to apologize or show any regret for what he did. If I were to knock a couple people over to catch a ball, I certainly would apologize to anyone I hit or wronged. Why is it that the news has to twist and blow up these stories... oh yes, because it makes good news. "Man dives and knocks over 4 year old for a foul ball" (which, by the way, the kid was clearly still standing, and wasn't knocked over) is a much better selling point than "Man accidentaly falls on 4 year old for foul ball", now isn't it?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one here who wouldn't fall over the occupied row in front of me (with child) just to get a foul ball? I've been to baseball games and I just don't see myself going in someone else's row when the ball is at their feet, not mine.

He just wasn't thinking at the time. Hopefully this taught him a lesson, especially with his attitude.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one here who wouldn't fall over the occupied row in front of me (with child) just to get a foul ball? I've been to baseball games and I just don't see myself going in someone else's row when the ball is at their feet, not mine.

He just wasn't thinking at the time. Hopefully this taught him a lesson, especially with his attitude.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Are you kidding? Sorry, but no I would not physically endanger a four year old child for a foul ball.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Are you kidding? Sorry, but no I would not physically endanger a four year old child for a foul ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks