What's new

Maleficent (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Jari K said:
Another 3D film where the 3D version is missing from the BD. Nice Disney.
Oh well, I guess we're playing the import game again. It seems there's a bigger market for 3D abroad than there is here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jari K said:
Another 3D film where the 3D version is missing from the BD. Nice Disney.
This is getting really annoying. They were big supporters when BD3D first started hitting the shelves, but this year it's been terrible.

I missed this one in theaters, but I would have either rented or made a blind buy of a 3D Blu-ray version. I have absolutely no interest in this in 2D. I have pretty much absolutely no interest in a 2D version of any film that was originally released theatrically in 3D.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just checked ... and sure enough -- just like "Frozen" -- the 3D version will be available from Amazon.co.uk. I just really cannot understand this. I guess I'll pre-order from there even though there's no release date set yet; and it will probably take three weeks to get here after it is released. The only thing I can figure is that Disney is artificially torpedoing physical media in the hopes of going to full streaming. I couldn't help but notice that Disney's "Hercules" -- which has never had a proper home video release on either DVD or BD -- has been available for quite some time on Netflix. And just recently "Tarzan" joined it. The availability of these two titles on Netflix is bound to deflate the sales of both titles when they're finally released to BD on August 12th. Evidently, Disney will be happy with that situation.--------------------Josh said:I missed this one in theaters, but I would have either rented or made a blind buy of a 3D Blu-ray version. I have absolutely no interest in this in 2D. I have pretty much absolutely no interest in a 2D version of any film that was originally released theatrically in 3D.--------------------I'm sure you'll be able to rent it in 3D on VUDU and other streaming services; again, just like "Frozen". Now that I think about it, Disney's agenda here is practically transparent.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps this is some Disney-ish plan in the US, where they first release the 2D version and then 3D later on. Many Disney collectors buy both.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Obviously, I am very unhappy with Disney these days.

First Frozen, now Maleficent.

In the infamous Frozen thread, there were arguments that a 3D
release would be announced for Christmas. I am not disputing that,
however we are getting very close to the point where if such a release
is to happen it should be announced.

For the longest time, Disney was taking the lead in not only releasing
the most 3D content to the format, but with consistently great presentations.
Over and over again, in most of their titles that I reviewed, I praised them for
keeping the format alive.

Now, it seems they are just putting more nails in the coffin by denying
U.S. consumers 3D versions of these releases.

They aren't the only studio doing this. Just found out that Noah will be
available in 3D overseas, but not here.

So, are we wrongfully singling out Disney for what they are doing, or is
there a real problem with 3D sales here in the U.S. to the point that other
studios are also taking a hard look at what (or what not) gets released?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Since they didn't even bother to release Noah in 3-D theatrically in the US, I think it's very safe to say that that conversion was just a cash-in done for countries where audiences are still paying for 3-D.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Wikipedia on Noah: "A 3D (post-converted) version of the film was funded by Paramount at a reported cost of $10 Million for many countries which do not include U.S.A and the U.K. At least 65 other markets had the option of showing the 3D version of the film." IMO, Noah would probably gain by viewing in 3D.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Ronald Epstein said:
While I don't have numbers, everything that I've seen indicates that 3D disc sales are pretty good. Previously, GRAVITY and THOR 2 in 3D were initially outselling the 2D via both Amazon and Wal-Mart. Out of curiosity, I just took a peek at the current Amazon best-sellers. Even now, STAR TREK 3D seems to be selling more than the 2D (#32 for 3D, #41 for 2D). Looking at pre-orders, GODZILLA 3D is #11, 2D is #24, SPIDER-MAN is ar #18 for 3D, #48, EDGE OF TOMORROW #58 for 2D, #21 for 3D. And THE WOLVERINE 3D is completely sold-out via Amazon (except for an expensive set with collectible cards, etc. etc.) Ordinarily, Amazon would re-order. Since that has not occurred, perhaps Fox is sold out as well

Obviously, the sales of FROZEN discs were so good that Disney wouldn't miss any 3D sales. But it's a slam-dunk that if the 3D had been released, it would have probably been the biggest selling 3D disc ever, most likely beating AVATAR and GRAVITY. So why Disney is purposefully trying to torpedo the format (and anger consumers) remains a mystery...one that someone should lose their job over. (oddly, NEED FOR SPEED is STILL not listed on Amazon in either 2D or 3D!)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ronald Epstein said:

At least in the case of "Noah" (and also the new "Robocop"), there was never a theatrical release of the 3D version in the states, so I wasn't expecting that we'd get 3D discs for those. (And having seen Noah in 2D IMAX, I agree with those who think it probably would have worked better in 3D.) But in the cases where we got a theatrical 3D release here, there seems to be no excuse to not give us the disc.

Joseph Bolus said:
I'm sure you'll be able to rent it in 3D on VUDU and other streaming services; again, just like "Frozen". Now that I think about it, Disney's agenda here is practically transparent.
Have you had any luck doing so with other titles? My only experience of renting 3D digitally was through my cable company on the cable box on demand, and I found the quality abysmal compared to a BD3D. Low image resolution, tons of digital noise, lots of crosstalk and ghosting. There were a couple times I rented a movie that way, and despite the poor presentation enjoyed the film enough to buy it on disc. When I did that, I was pleasantly surprised to find that none of the issues with the cable company rental were problems with the Blu-ray. Has Vudu provided a smoother viewing experience than that? I'd be happy to give 3D streaming another try if it was actually watchable.

Still, for better or worse... Disney took something that could very easily have been a blind buy, $25-30 purchase, and turned it into at worst a no-sale and at best a one-time $5 rental. I certainly can live with the extra $20 in my pocket, it's just kind of amazing that they're letting it go back into my pocket so easily.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"there seems to be no excuse to not give us the disc"The only reason not to include the 3D version is the cost of adding one extra disc to each case, right? I can't think of another reason if the 3D master is available and released in other countries.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Josh Steinberg said:
. Has Vudu provided a smoother viewing experience than that? I'd be happy to give 3D streaming another try if it was actually watchable.

Still, for better or worse... Disney took something that could very easily have been a blind buy, $25-30 purchase, and turned it into at worst a no-sale and at best a one-time $5 rental. I certainly can live with the extra $20 in my pocket, it's just kind of amazing that they're letting it go back into my pocket so easily.
Vudu will give you a better experience than the cable offering...but at a slightly higher price: $7.00. Some here will say that Vudu is almost on a par with BD but I disagree. I've seen minor picture issues and, of course, the audio is limited to DD Plus. I'd definitely opt for Vudu over cable, but never over BD.

And in the case of Disney, well they'd rather have you buy FROZEN for $36.00 because they don't have to split money with retailers, distributors, etc. With MALEFICENT, I'll just rent the 3D edition from 3DBR and leave it at that. I have no interest in supporting Disney's policy with my money, however insignificant that is to them.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Jari K said:
"there seems to be no excuse to not give us the disc"The only reason not to include the 3D version is the cost of adding one extra disc to each case, right? I can't think of another reason if the 3D master is available and released in other countries.
They don't even have to do that, as both 2D and 3D can be on ONE disc (as in the case of movies such as DREDD, NURSE, HELLBENDERS, I, FRANKENSTEIN, etc)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
At least Dredd and I, Frankenstein are kinda short. So perhaps that's why both versions fit on one disc.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Jari K said:
At least Dredd and I, Frankenstein are kinda short. So perhaps that's why both versions fit on one disc.
So is MALIFICENT

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It depends on how the 2D version is derived. If the 2D presentation is simply the extraction of one eye then Blu-rays can be programed to play back a single eye for the 2D version. However if the 2D version is a completely different version as is the case with most new 3D movies these days, then both versions won't fit on a single disc and hence the need for separate discs.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Already placed my order for the 3D blu-ray over at Amazon UK...I'm disappointed that US Disney is continuing this counterproductive practice of delaying their 3D physical media releases for their major titles for the American retail market, but since we can easily circumvent it by buying a region-free copy from the UK, it's THEIR marketing department's problem...

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
We're still not 100% there WON'T be a 3D release...right now, we're just going by an initial Amazon pre-order. And that can change (NEED FOR SPEED also had a 2D Amazon listing...then it was pulled and remains MIA). Given that MALIFICENT will be out for the holidays (when even more 3D and UHD sets will be sold), would Disney ignore that potential? Possibly...but we don't know for sure. But if that turns out to be the case, then Merry F***ing Christmas to you too Disney. (No wonder they released A CHRISTMAS CAROL...Scrooge is their fave!)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This movie was way too dark and not very impressive (then again Maleficent in general was a real stinker) in 3D. Not sure why you guys are hankering for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks