What's new

Making Love finally on 2/7! (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
At first, I thought the thread title signified a personal event. :)

Neat to hear this is finally coming out, so to speak. I've never actually seen it, but I remember it causing a fuss way back when.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Making Love is one of my favorite movies. It's a wonderful gay drama with major Hollywood stars and the ending is happy! Now that's not to say I always want a happy ending.

BTW, in the original post I didn't mention that I hope this is presented in widescreen. Interviews with Kate Jackson, Harry Hamlin and Michael Ontkean would be nice too.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Does it really have a "happy" ending? There's regret and wistfulness, as I recall, and the Hamlin character just sort of disappears back onto the streets.

Anyway. A colleague saw the film opening day in San Francisco. It was an early, sparsely-attended matinee. There were two women sitting in back of him. When it came time for Ontkean to fess up about his true preference to Jackson--words to the effect of "Honey, you may want to sit down for this"--one of the women catcalled, "Honey, you'd better LIE down."

Well, I thought it was funny. :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bob,

While the film is "of its age" and, franky comes off now as something we might see on "Lifetime: Television for Women," I never think of it as anything other than a happy ending. Sure Jackson character wishes she was still with Ontkean's, but she is also content.

As for Hamlin's character, I thought it was (and is) and excellent example of a some of the guys one is apt to meet when having sex with another man the first time.

His character should dissappear. He was not, nor will he ever be "marriage material."

Zack wants to "make love."
Bart wants to "have sex."

Hence the title of the film.
:)

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
I hated this movie when I first saw it, especially the ending, which I also originally perceived to be "happy." You are right, Mark, it does sometimes play like a tv movie.

However, as I've grown older, I've caught the movie again over the years (usually on the Fox Movie Channel) and I've come to view it as a very sweet film, yes very much "of its age" (which, to me, means pre-AIDS) but I think that is what makes it such fun to watch again.

According to the few specs I've seen, I don't think there are are any interviews, but Harry Hamlin and Kate Jackson have spoken openly about the film in past interviews (I think Hamlin was even at a 20th anniversary screening in LA a few years back). I've never heard Michael Ontkean talk about the film at all.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
One week until Making Love streets! Since Brokeback Mountain just received eight Academy Award nominations my appetite for gay themed movies is skyrocketing.

Has anyone heard anything definitive on DVD extras?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
RandallV,

After checking several on-line retailers for specs, I came up with nothing regarding Making Love supplemental content.

Still, at $9.32 from DVD Empire, I am not expecting much in the way of bonus materials.

I recall hearing that Ontkean was told this film caused him career to stall out, so he might have been advised to stay clear of discussing the film for years.

Sad. I had the hugest crush on Zack and would've loved to hear more from Ontkean on his performance.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I just can't believe Ontkean's career was hurt by this film. Harry Hamlin certainly had his share of roles after Making Love.

Oh well. Tomorrow I'm Making Love!

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
In the extras section of The Celluoid Closet DVD, Hamlin mentions that after Making Love he didn't work in features again for nine years.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It will be interesting to see this film again. In 1982 it was a big deal and the sad part is in 2006 it would still be a big deal.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall

Well he certainly has had a robust TV career - LA Law wasn't exactly a failure. I believe Ontkean "did" a lot of TV too.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I watched Making Love last night. The disc has nice art - one female nude between two males. The insert was an ad (yuck), but once I started viewing the film I thought it looked great and the audio was acceptable.

The story is, ironically, still quite relevant. I guess we can thank protease inhibitors for that. If you enjoyed Brokeback Mountain and would like another high quality gay romance, buy this DVD. :)

Thank you for releasing this one FOX.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
How's Harry Hamlin's performance in this film? The only film I've seen him in is CLASH OF THE TITANS, and he's absolutely terrible. Not even up to high-school drama standards. (Burgess Meredith, however, is phenomenal.)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I found Hamlin's performance convincing. Overall, the cast did a superb job. It's too bad America wasn't "ready" for this film in 1982. Hopefully, if the disc sells well enough, we will get a special edition with interviews and maybe a Hiller commentary.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I thought Hamlin's performance and character were the most naturalistic in the film. I guess maybe because I have known more Barts (Hamlin's character) than Zacks (Ontkean's character).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks