What's new

Makin' some stands, this a good design to follow? (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!

I will probably get some sand in them this weekend and they will FINALLY be done!

Good luck finishing yours!

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm considering building a set of these stands but have a couple of questions.

Do you think the 12"x12" base would be stable sitting on carpet? I saw that Troy used spikes on his, anyone know if those would do any permanent damage to the carpet?

I wonder if you got something heavy in the lower 1/3 of the tube, could you fill it the rest of the way with something like GreatStuff expanding foam sealant that is in a aerosol can. I think they make some that expands a little and some that expands alot.

For the weight I'm not sure, plaster of paris maybe. Checking reloading supplies on the net it appears shot is pretty expensive.

I'm more concerned about filling the tube for the stability of the stand than for the sonic characteristics, although that is a consideration. My ears ring all the time anyway, so whatever I hear it's that + the ringing. LOL

Thanks,
BrianGC

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
it depends on what you are putting on there, 12X12 is fine for my bookselfs, and i belive the spikes don't damage the carpent that much, you won't notice if you move them, they go through the carpet.

personally i think the sand is plenty for the stands, but if you want to try the plaster and then sealing foam i think it would be okay, don't see why it wouldn't work

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
BrianGC,

The spikes will just leave a little hole in the carpet that will eventually fill itself after a good vacuuming... Spikes make the stands much more stable than sitting on carpet without spikes. You could use just about anything on the bottom that would decrease the surface area that is sitting on the carpet. The other good thing about spikes is they can be used to level the stand, making it even more stable.

I think you should try filling your stands with sand before you do anything else. If the sand doesn't satisfy you just dump it out. then try something else. A bag of sand will cost you 4 bucks at the most. Not much lost there...

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Well guys my project is getting closer to completion. We know have the base plates(two piece) and top plates(also 2 pieces) secured together. The holes for the PVC have been cut in the plates, top piece of the base and bottom piece of the top plate. I quickly whipped up a geocities webpage for the project but I am having troubles getting the pics to appear.

Here is the link anyway, maybe you guys could tell me what I am doing wrong. DIY Stands

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Now I see where I screwed up, somehow the directory where the pics are linking too got changed. I'll have that fixed soon.
I won't be putting my stands on carpet, are rubber feet a good idea?

A

Anthony_Gomez

Looking forward to seeing the finished goods!:D

one bit of advice if it isn't too late. fill, primer, sand, primer, sand etc on the particle board. They are so porous that they will soak up IMMENSE amounts of paint. they also have tons of large pores that will show right through the paint.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Lookin good! I like the cut outs in the MDF for the PVC!

How tall are those things? They look VERY tall! make sure you get the center of gravity nice and low on such a tall stand!

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
How tall are those things? They look VERY tall! make sure you get the center of gravity nice and low on such a tall stand!
The stands are pretty tall, my speakers aren't very tall so I need a lot of height to get the tweeters up to my ears.
The mock up one in the picture is actually the shorter one(for a Titan) but it won't really be that tall. I did that mock-up assembly before the holes were cut, so the PVC is on top of the board rather than inside of a hole. So the actual stands will be about 1.5 inches shorter than that.

A

Anthony_Gomez

as long as you sand fill them(or better yet, lead shot), you should be fine with the height. just don't fill them too high ..keep all the sand below the level of the center of gravity.

Primer is different then paint. it has a high solids content that doesn't absorb into the wood. It plugs up all the micro pores.

Textured paint usually will still show many of the big pores on particle board. MDF...you can probably get away with no putty, but not particle board.

Just my 2cents :)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Where would the center of gravity be on these stands. Is there a way to find it? Would metal scrap be ok for some extra weight at the bottom? Don't ask why we just metal scraps sitting around.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i know what you mean, our garage is about 40 if we are lucky durring the winter, but our celler stays nice and warm, plus we have a wood stove to heat it up if need be.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I always had the impression that the tube was filled completely with sand, is that not the case? Anyway, what ever you put in for weight I thought the foam would further help the dampening.

I don't have the speakers yes, probably something along the lines of Home Theater Direct Level 2 or smaller. I could fasion some sort of 'feet' for them, the spikes make me nervous since I don't own the floor they will sit on. LOL

My bases/tops will most likely be made of 2 layers of MDF since I already have some of that. I will cut the hole using a router with a patern cutting bit. (like a laminate trimming bit except the bearing is on the top of the bit). There is a PVC piece that is a spacer for installing a toilet I think, about 1/4" think and a perfect hole to follow, even has countersunk screw hole locations to screw it down.

BrianGC

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
The bases have all been painted with the stone paint and I am very(!) impressed with them. We used grey primer and the end result is awesome. Close-up you can see it is paint but from normal distances it looks very stone-like and the texture is very believeable.

The gravel guard also is looking good on the PVC. Sadly, I had to return the digital camera so it will be a while before I can get some good pics. I might take some snaps with the web cam to give a rough idea of the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks