What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Well, I heard the story also about Thomas not liking Hagen and if that really is what's keeping them off DVD.....that's really pathetic and makes the "Thomas family" look like mental midgets (ooops, little people.....hey, but that ruins the alliteration!). Anyway, I lost respect for the "Thomas family" when their ignorant decision allowed Questar to release Season 5. They did a very crappy job of it which makes them a sleazy company!!! They could have taken the high road instead of the 'pig wallow' by demanding copies from the master films, but noooooooo! They just figured that their dumb-ass customers wouldn't know the difference.

S'more Entertainment released Season 6 and did a nice, respectable job of it - at least they used the uncut versions on, IIRC, all episodes except maybe 1 or 2. Their prints could have been a little better, but, they were still noticeably better than the crap Questar dug up. A couple of years ago I actually wrote to S'more and asked if they were going to release any more seasons. They said unfortunately no because Season 6 didn't sell very well for them. I told them that I would even re-buy Season 5 if they would release it.

And what's SO disappointing that Seasons 1 - 4 haven't been released is that pretty much the whole enjoyment of the series, for me, are the kids (Rusty & Linda) when they were real young. The cocky, smart-ass lines that were written for them are great, along with Danny's reaction to them. I guess it's similar to the enjoyment some people (me) get hearing the kids on South Park say the bad words - it's just plain funny, but, on a MUCH tamer level with MRFD.

I've also noticed that when Linda is about to say one of her funny lines, she starts to smile while she's delivering the line, already thinking that she's probably going to get some laughs from it like she might have gotten during rehearsal - that's pretty cute.

I could care less about who the Mom was, although I've got to admit that Marjorie Lord is sure titillating to look at (i.e., now as an adult) and had to be the best looking, sexiest TV Mom ever! She looks to me like a cross between Ann-Margret and Nicole Kidman...she had that elegant beauty with a heafty dose of sexiness - WOW!

Ooops, well, I've got to go now..... :rolleyes:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I remember watching the Hagen shows as a kid in reruns in the afternoon. Then on Monday nights watching Kathy and trying to figure out what was going on. I was in third grade trying to figure out where Linda was and why Kathy wasn't on the show?? How Danny had a different wife and daughter in the afternoon then at night a different wife and daughter. Then one afternoon the season begins without either talk about confusing to a third grader.....

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
How are some episodes PD and the rest are not ?? Doesn't make sense?
All of the early episodes are PD. That doesn't mean that elements of the series are in circulation. Just because an episode of something is PD doesn't make it available. A print of the episode still has to fall into the public's hands.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
And what's SO disappointing that Seasons 1 - 4 haven't been released is that pretty much the whole enjoyment of the series, for me, are the kids (Rusty & Linda) when they were real young. The cocky, smart-ass lines that were written for them are great, along with Danny's reaction to them. I guess it's similar to the enjoyment some people (me) get hearing the kids on South Park say the bad words - it's just plain funny, but, on a MUCH tamer level with MRFD.

I've also noticed that when Linda is about to say one of her funny lines, she starts to smile while she's delivering the line, already thinking that she's probably going to get some laughs from it like she might have gotten during rehearsal - that's pretty cute.

Linda isn't in the first four seasons. She's Kathy's daughter from her previous marriage, not Danny's. Danny's two kids are Terry and Rusty with Margaret. And when Kathy came on the show for the last several episodes of season four, Lelani Sorenson played her daughter, not Linda Cartwright.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Neil Brock said:
And when Kathy came on the show for the last several episodes of season four, Lelani Sorenson played her daughter, not Linda Cartwright.
You mean Angela Cartwright. One of my first crushes as a kid (admittedly I'm speaking of her role on Lost in Space).

Gary "I'd love to have the S4 and S11 Christmas episodes from this series, but I don't have access to Cozi TV" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Gary OS said:
You mean Angela Cartwright. One of my first crushes as a kid (admittedly I'm speaking of her role on Lost in Space).

Gary "I'd love to have the S4 and S11 Christmas episodes from this series, but I don't have access to Cozi TV" O.

Maybe I can get them for you, Gary. My brother gets COZI. I just need to know beforehand when they will air.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
It seems like many of the early episodes may have aired in local syndication at some point in the last decade, as I have a few Hagen/widower episodes from KTLN (a local San Francisco station). Not sure when this was or how many they presented, but those years may not be as inaccessible as we think...

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Joe Lugoff said:
There are Episode Guides on the Internet, but none of them are 100% reliable. This is my best knowledge of the "European" season. The European episodes began with the fourth episode. I believe they were all filmed on location. The other episodes often started with a minute or two of Danny and Kathy reading a letter from Charley and Bunny, who were watching the kids, and then the episode would show what the letter was talking about. There were usually two "home" episodes in between the European ones.

It looks as if Cozi shows the series in the order filmed, not as originally broadcast. This was how it was originally, as far as I know:

1962-63 Season 10Oct 1 [10.1] "The Baby Hates Charley." The baby screams whenever Charley comes near him.
Joe, do you have an episode guide for season 11 (1963-64)
I've been recording it on Cozi, and I used your season 10 episode guide as a checklist.
Thanks!

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Neil Brock said:
Linda isn't in the first four seasons. She's Kathy's daughter from her previous marriage, not Danny's. Danny's two kids are Terry and Rusty with Margaret. And when Kathy came on the show for the last several episodes of season four, Lelani Sorenson played her daughter, not Linda Cartwright.
Thanks, I had forgotten that.....or maybe I didn't even know it. Dang, maybe I didn't even start watching the series as a kid until Kathy & Linda started. So, I have a question. Did they give Terry a lot of funny lines when she was younger (along with Rusty) in S.1 - S.4 ?
Or, did the cocky lines for the kids start only after Linda joined the show ?
I started watching S.11 on COZI last week, but I think I'm going to be disappointed, at least with the kids - they're just too grown up.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
jetskier said:
Thanks, I had forgotten that.....or maybe I didn't even know it. Dang, maybe I didn't even start watching the series as a kid until Kathy & Linda started. So, I have a question. Did they give Terry a lot of funny lines when she was younger (along with Rusty) in S.1 - S.4 ?

Or, did the cocky lines for the kids start only after Linda joined the show ?

I started watching S.11 on COZI last week, but I think I'm going to be disappointed, at least with the kids - they're just too grown up.
Rusty Williams was cocky from day one and Rusty Hamer was adorable as a young child actor. So sad that his personal life was so tragic.

Terry, being older, was more of a mother hen to Rusty although she had her share of dry, sardonic lines too. It was a very well written show.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Last night, Cozi showed what I believe is the Season 11 opener, THE COUNTRY SQUIRES. I haven't seen this season since it originally aired. The show was still great and Pat Carroll and Sid Melton lended such wonderful support.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Ron Lee Green said:
Joe, do you have an episode guide for season 11 (1963-64)
I've been recording it on Cozi, and I used your season 10 episode guide as a checklist.
Thanks!
Yes, and I'll paste it here -- however, it seems the syndication order of the shows, and the order in which Cozi is showing them, is the order in which they were filmed. My list is the order in which they were originally shown. And it's different from the episode guides on the Internet, in that mine is made from the original TV Guide listings from the 1963-64 season, so I feel fairly confident it's correct. Here it is:

1963-64 Season 11Sep 30 [11.1] "Rusty Drives a Car." Danny doesn't like the idea of Rusty driving a car.Oct 7 [11.2] "The Perfect Crime." Somebody has stolen the money Kathy was saving for Danny's birthday present.Oct 14 [11.3] "Here's the $50 Back." A nightclub entertainer says he has come to pay back $50 he once borrowed from Danny, but Danny can't seem to remember him.Oct 21 [11.4] "The Woman Behind the Jokes." Kathy is getting tired of being the butt of Danny's nightclub wisecracks.Oct 28 [11.5] "The Country Squires." Kathy and Bunny buy a country home without telling their husbands.Nov 4 [11.6] "Linda and the New Dress." Linda tears a girl's dress, so she tells her to buy a new one and charge it to Danny.Nov 11 [11.7] "My Fair Uncle." Uncle Tonoose tells Danny that he's about to take a wife.Nov 18 [11.8] "Shy Alfie." Danny wants to find a girl for Alfie.Nov 25 [11.9] "The Hex." Danny and Charley are hexed by the carpenter who had the job of remodeling their country place until he was fired. [Not shown due to all television cancelled for the day of President Kennedy's funeral.]Dec 2 [11.10] "Oh, the Clancys." Kathy's aunt arrives from Ireland and announces she wants her four sons to make their American singing debut at the Copa.Dec 9. Postponed broadcast of "The Hex."Dec 16 [11.11] "The Bowling Partners." Danny decides that he and Rusty should do more things together.Dec 23 [11.12] "Christmas Story." Danny is concerned over the family's lack of Christmas spirit.Dec 30 [11.13] "Linda's Crush." Linda has a secret crush - which Danny reveals on a TV show.Jan 6 [11.14] "Peaceful Co-Existence." The Williamses and the Halpers in one country cottage equals trouble.Jan 13 [11.15] "The Two Musketeers." One of the Copa Club's musicians owes money to a gambler.Jan 20 [11.16] "Kathy the Secretary." Kathy goes to work as a secretary to Danny's agent.Jan 27 [11.17] "The Quiz Show." The Copa Club bartender asks Danny to be his celebrity partner on a quiz show.Feb 3 [11.18] "Howdy, Neighbors." Danny, Kathy, Charley and Bunny think it's time they made friends with their new country neighbors.Feb 10 [11.19] "The Antique Dealers." Kathy and Bunny are conned into paying $100 for an "antique" cuckoo clock.Feb 17 [11.20] "Bunny Gets into the Act." Bunny wants to return to show business with a part in the revue at her husband's club.Feb 24 [11.21] "Sense of Humor." The janitor doesn't think it's funny when Danny starts making jokes about him in his act.Mar 2 [11.22] "Tonoose Gets a Job." Uncle Tonoose is looking for a job.Mar 9 [11.23] "The Leprechaun." In the park, Linda meets a little man who claims to be a leprechaun.Mar 16 [11.24] "Pupa from Italy." Danny imports a young Italian singer for the Copa Club.Mar 23 [11.25] "Pupa's Pooch." Piccola Pupa's dog has been quarantined.Mar 30 [11.26] "Pupa Loves Rusty." Rusty tries speaking to Piccola Pupa in Italian and he accidentally proposes - and she accepts.Apr 6 [11.27] "Beautiful Lady." A girl Danny knew as a tomboy has changed.Apr 13 [11.28] "Call off the Hounds." Kathy and Bunny decide to make their husbands stop working so hard.Apr 20 [11.29] "Rusty and the Chorus Girl." Rusty thinks he's in love with one of the Copa Club chorus girls.Apr 27 [11.30] "The Persistent Cop." A policeman talks Danny into auditioning a youthful combo from a tenement district.May 4. Reruns begin.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It looks like Cozi is skipping over the Christmas episode this week. I guess they don't want to show a Christmas episode in July.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Joe Lugoff said:
It looks like Cozi is skipping over the Christmas episode this week. I guess they don't want to show a Christmas episode in July.
Thanks, Joe, for the season 11 guide.
By the way, did you ever figure out the mystery of the episode entitled, "That Old Feeling."??
Cozi aired it but its not on your list.
You were correct that it is obviously out of order because it is an episode that places Danny in New York before he returned from his European vacation.
Is it possible that it never aired in its original primetime schedule?
imdb.com lists it as: S10, Ep25 18 Mar. 1963 That Old Feeling Danny and Sid negotiate with songwriter Harry Ruby over the use of his songs in Danny's act.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Sad to say, all the online Episode Guides for MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY/THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW are full of errors. I haven't been able to track down when "That Old Feeling" was originally shown. As I pointed out in my own Episode Guide, the show was preempted the night of March 18, 1963 for a special.

To show how mislabelled this series is, the episode on Hulu they call "Season 11, Episode 29, 'First Allowance'" is obviously from a very early season, probably Season 1 or early in Season 2. However, no episode by that name shows up in any Episode Guide. It's difficult to even figure out what episode it must be by the plot descriptions. Based on what happens in it, my best guess is that it might be Season 2 (1954-55), Episode 1:

Sep 28 [2.1] "Family Troubles." Danny gets the jitters about his career as a night club entertainer.
I wish I had all the old TV Guides to solve all of these earth-shattering ;) mysteries, but I only saved TV Guides from the 1961-64 period, darn it (and I'm way too poor to buy many on eBay.)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Looks like we will not see season 12 as looks like "Here's Lucy" starts next week on Cozi. Saw the preview yesterday??

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
There is no season 12. On August 7, season 11 wraps and we loop back to season 4, episode 1 (seasons 1-3 will not be shown). On August 11, when "Here's Lucy" begins airing, "Daddy" begins airing two hours later, still continuing with the long unaired season 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.