What's new

Major Spoilers: Just saw Notorious for the 1st time! (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
This why I have grown to love aged films. I see similarities in Notorious in today's movies. My wife and I watched this last night. She was hesitant when I said black and white and 1946. She's not a movie buff like I am, but I said Alfred Hitchcock she happily took a seat next to me.
Anyways, some time into the movie we came to a scene which immediately reminded us of a movie we were watching with some friends a few days back while I was showing of my "Best Buy system" (hey, I live in an Apt.) Even further into the movie we came across a few more scenes that made me think how unoriginal most movies are today. Anyone notice these scenes and agree?
The movie was Mission Impossible 2
The scenes where:
1)Cary Grant talking to his collegues in the office about getting the girl to do a job and Grant is reluctant saying she can't do the job since he is attracted to her. Same with Cruise and Hopkins.
2)The next scene is Grant and Alicia talking about her taking the job and if Grant approves. Both scenes in both films happen right after the other.
3)Alicia getting back with her former lover to spy on him and report back to Grant
4)The scene with Grant and Alicia at the race tracks talking about the progress of the job and if she has gotten back to the old times with her previous lover.
5)At the end of the movie Grant saving the "ill and poisoned" heroin from the bad guy.
I now enjoy MI2 less now but it's still a great brainless flick.
As always your opinions welcome.
------------------
A man never chooses to live...but chooses to make a life.
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...alias=Darryljr
http://www.geocities.com/darrylhjr/

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How about the early scene in the car? Two people finding themselves attracted to each other while speeding (in MI:2, they made it two cars).
I think most fans of Notorious who saw MI:2 noticed the similarities right away. Borrowing plot elements is a time-honored tradition in storytelling that predates movies by at least several centuries. The fact that MI:2 did some borrowing shouldn't make it any more or less enjoyable, IMO.
M.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
...and M:I-2 redeems its borrowing (IMHO) by the addition of a great line that feels like it should have been in Notorious.
When Tom Cruise's character objects that Thandie Newton's character has "got no training for this," Hopkins responds by saying, "To sleep with a man and lie to him? She's a woman. She's got all the training she needs."
Utterly misogynist, true, but if the rest of the screenplay had that much bite, M:I-2 would be a classic indeed.
(That one line is the reason I hold on to the DVD: the rest of the film is amusing fluff, but I just love hearing Hopkins deliver this.)
doug
------------------
"How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
pretty good explanation..."
--James Woods, on The Simpsons

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This thread should have a spoiler warning on it! I'm glad I have already seen both films.
Addendum: OK, now it does, but I'm still glad I've seen both films :)
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 30, 2001 at 03:52 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks