What's new

Magnum, P.I. (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
So will they have this take place in the same time period as the TV show? Or will it take place in the present? Will Magnum be driving a Ferrari 360 Spyder or an Enzo? ;)

Brian

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I wasn't a huge fan of Dodgeball, but it accomplished what it set out to do. It's the equivalent of Michael Bay being signed to direct Moonlighting. They guy does what he does...and it ain't Moonlighting.

Magnum will be tough because Magnum is ingrained with Tom Selleck. Good luck casting that part.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't a huge fan of Dodgeball, but it accomplished what it set out to do. It's the equivalent of Michael Bay being signed to direct Moonlighting. They guy does what he does...and it ain't Moonlighting.
Well, to be fair, Thurber doesn't exactly have a long track record - one feature. I love Dodgeball, but I doubt that's all Thurber can do.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On another forum. Someone suggested Bob Hoskins for Higgins. And either Matthew McConaughy or Josh Lucas for Magnum.

I want Michael Clark Duncan for TC.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
It's really unfortunate that this didn't get made back in the day, as I agree it will be very very hard to shake Tom Selleck as Magnum. I think the casting could be the biggest challenge of the whole film, my hopes aren't high for this however like they are for Miami Vice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From the article:
Thurber is not making a spoof but rather something akin to the tone of the show, which mixed humor and danger. The story line for the Universal Pictures film sees Magnum, with the help of his former military pals, searching for a missing buddy.
So I'm not expecting Starsky & Hutch 2 here. What happened to Selleck resuming the role though? Unlike a lot of his generation, he's still got the chops and the physique to make it work.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, if he does it, then that's a different story. But since we're 25 years later, I assumed he wouldn't.

Casting the part will be a real bitch. Selleck is near-iconic in the role. I like Josh Lucas, but no. McConaughey is all (and I mean ALL) wrong.

Good to hear they are going with an adaptation. Most of what has been done with TV was based on mediocre (at best) TV material. Magnum was a great show, with a great tone. Not really ripe for parody or flat-out comedy.

A GREAT show,
Chuck

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Casting the part should be dependent on the storyline. Is Magnum still a former Navy Intelligence Officer from the Vietnam War, press forward to now, 30 years after the war? If so then Selleck can play that part. However, if they update the storyline to him being a Gulf War veteran, 15 or so years after that war then perhaps someone like Val Kilmer can fill the bill?

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Casting Selleck in the role of Magnum again (as it should be) would immediately elevate the film to a must see for me personally.

However by casting Tom Selleck as Magnum they would then (in my opinion) have to cast John Hillerman as Higgins, Roger E. Mosley as T.C. and Larry Manetti in the role of Rick.

Seeing anyone else play Higgins other than John Hillerman would be... weird.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After the craptastic Sahara, I don't want McConaughy anywhere near Magnum PI!!!!
Hate saying it again, but I actually liked Sahara. Basically, no one in the film was taking anything seriously, so I didn't take the film seriously either.

How would he do as Magnum? Depending on the approach, he could do alright. Problem is, a film with him probably would be more lighthearted, since there hasn't been too many roles he's had where you could take him seriously.

Jason

James@R

Second Unit
I'm still surprised this wasn't made back in the 90's, when Clancy was interested in writing it.

Anyway, it's interesting that they're thinking of playing this straight. When I first heard the news, I assumed it would be Ben Stiller as Magnum! :thumbsdown:

It's ironic that they probably won't cast Selleck in the role. I would imagine the only people that this film would appeal to are those that fondly remember the show. And why would they care about anyone but him in the role?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Here'e a little thinking outside the box, if they don't bring Selleck in. I am thinking of a guy who is physical enough to pull of the stunts this is likely to have, has good comic timing, as good speaking voice, the ladies tell me he has the sex appeal, and the eyebrow. Plus, my mom, who is a big Magnum/Selleck fan and said she wouldn't be interested without Selleck changed her mind with this choice: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks